What would happen if you tell Nightblood he's evil?

Leyrann

Probably laugh and refuse to believe you.  If pressed I could even see him making an argument that he cannot, by definition, be 'Evil'.  His measure of this abstract and undefined concept of "evil" seems to be whether a person can hold Him, so he's Immune to the test by definition.

On a more philosophically meta level, I think I would agree with him.  He's doesnt seem to have enough independent Drive and/or Agency to really be Evil.  He's Destructive as all getout, but Evil implies a more specific motivation to my mind and he's basically just along for the ride wherever his is. He's Dangerous, Destructive, and a touch Chaotic, but he's still acting as a tool to execute his wielder's interpretation of his Command, no more or less. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

@goody153 is right. When she carries Nightblood briefly near the end of the book, Vivenna says something to Nightblood that implies (strongly) that he's evil and he says something like "I'm not evil. I destroy evil". So, he wouldn't believe you but also wouldn't really care.

This is correct, it should also be noted that he doesn't react poorly, he just informs her that he isn't evil in the same way you would tell a small child not to touch something hot if they do not want to be burned.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 2:49 PM, Soulcast said:

It would probably would try to kill you thinking your evil

If you're able to have this conversation with Nightblood in the first place, it's because he's already decided that you aren't evil. Unless you do a mental about-face and start thinking about doing the sorts of things that Nightblood 'knows' are evil (ie, you fail the Nightblood Test even though you must have previously passed it) he's not going to make you go murder-crazy just because you've made an idiotic statement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 10:08 PM, Weltall said:

If you're able to have this conversation with Nightblood in the first place, it's because he's already decided that you aren't evil. Unless you do a mental about-face and start thinking about doing the sorts of things that Nightblood 'knows' are evil (ie, you fail the Nightblood Test even though you must have previously passed it) he's not going to make you go murder-crazy just because you've made an idiotic statement.

When Nightblood was thrown in the bay, he was able to get Chapps to fish him out, row him to shore and got into a building, presumably while talking with him.  Then he went blood-bath mode on a group, including Chapps.