[OB] The Lost Metal

So, I have been thinking for a while. Trellium. Could it be Atium that has been corrupted. Atium is described as silvery, Trellium is described as a silvery metal with a red cast to it, and dark red spots similar to rust. Red in the cosmere means corrupted and Shalash recognizes that.

The first WoB indicates to me that it would be, but it could go either direction.

Spoiler

Yata [PENDING REVIEW]

Trellium could be Hemalurgy-viable without Trell messing with magic?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah, I'll go ahead and give you [a RAFO card].

source

The second says that we know the shard the metal came from, it could be from Ruin or Autonomy(Trell).

Spoiler

Chaos

I'm sorry Brandon, you might RAFO me.

*written* For the metal in Bleeder, is it from a Shard we know?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh no… You drove all this way, that's what makes me. Eric comes and he's like--

Chaos

You RAFO'd me at Words of Radiance--

Brandon Sanderson

I know.

Chaos

--I asked you a question that was too much.

Brandon Sanderson

…you push, yeah… There you are you got your answer. You got me.

*writes* Yes.

Footnote: at that time we knew 9 Shards: Devotion, Dominion, Preservation, Ruin, Odium, Honor, Cultivation, Endowment and Autonomy
source

Please help me expand my theory. 

Happy 4th to all the Americans. *Stares at England*

I think it is a godmetal to itself for "Trell" which I suspect is Autonomy,along with many others. I don't think it would be usable for Allomancy or Feruchemy. 

As it's applicable, I'll just copy and paste the majority of what I just finished writing in another thread 

@Yata convinced me of hemalurgy functioning different in this respect about a year ago. Allomancers can't burn foreign godmetals because they lack the connection to that Shard to do so, and I imagine that Feruchemy would function the same. Why would hemalurgy require that though? Your not trying to take power from an outside source, and you don't need any Spiritual genes for the effect. You just need knowledge of bindpoints and intent to make a spike.

So yes, I think it's possible that the metal is being used without knowledge of a Shard, but I still doubt that's the case. If people had gotten their hands on a godmetal and were using it that's one thing. But there is an outside force, implied to be another "God" applying pressure to Harmony, both in the representation of the red haze and the metal. 

If another Shard is involved, stealing metal from yet another shard is needlessly convoluted. They can apply a minimal amount of power to provide some of their own metal to their agents, and the job is done. Stealing metal from another Shard would serve what purpose? Mask their identity from parties who have no way of knowing it in the first place?

If there was no confirmation that another shard was involved and that this were just The Set with a stolen metal, that would be one thing. A Shard is involved though and as such the metal came from it. The alternative is convoluted and completely unnecessary

And "corrupting" Atium is essentially the same idea as just stealing from another Shard. 

A little less pointless in that it would be depriving Harmony of some power, but the how then becomes a bigger question. 

11 hours ago, Calderis said:

If another Shard is involved, stealing metal from yet another shard is needlessly convoluted. They can apply a minimal amount of power to provide some of their own metal to their agents, and the job is done. Stealing metal from another Shard would serve what purpose? Mask their identity from parties who have no way of knowing it in the first place?

Wouldn't one purpose be the the other Shard's godmetal has a specific ability that you want?  For example, maybe Trell/the Set needed to use Atium because it allows for Hemalurgical stealing of any attribute, which Trell's godmetal wouldn't allow for.  

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Wouldn't one purpose be the the other Shard's godmetal has a specific ability that you want?  For example, maybe Trell/the Set needed to use Atium because it allows for Hemalurgical stealing of any attribute, which Trell's godmetal wouldn't allow for.  

We actually don't know this. We've only seen a single godmetal used for hemalurgy.

What we do know is that the metal was unknown to Harmony. Atium is not unknown to Harmony. This means that the metal isn't some sort of corrupted atium. It is just a new metal.

7 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

We actually don't know this. We've only seen a single godmetal used for hemalurgy.

We actually have a Word of Brandon that Atium can be used to "steal any of the powers."  

I actually think that it is, in fact, Trellium.  I was responding to @Calderis's argument that using another Shard's godmetal was "needlessly convoluted."  The Shards are presumably not able to pick/change at will the Allomantic/Feruchemical/Hemalurgical abilities of their godmetals.  Therefore, Trell/Autonomy, for example, might need to coopt a different Shard's metal because her's doesn't do what she needs it to do.  

24 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

We actually have a Word of Brandon that Atium can be used to "steal any of the powers."  

We don't know the abilities of godmetals is my point. It is possible that any godmetal is capable of stealing any attribute. Given that godmetals aren't part of the standard hemalurgic table, the base 16 metals should be capable of stealing any attribute if used correctly. This means that a godmetal spike doesn't need to fit anywhere specific into hemalurgy. So it makes the most sense that godmetals can steal any attribute. We've never had a second god metal used in hemalurgy to compare to. Until now.

As I mentioned Harmony did not know the metal. This means it is not atium.

Edited by Fatikis

• Chaos locked this topic