Which Books Have Made You Cry?

I'm curious.

Spoilers no more than saying what made me cry.

Spoiler

For me, it was Alcatraz. I came close on Mistborn, but not quite. Alcatraz was incredibly sad for me, especially since I thought that was the end before seeing the end stuff.

Oh man. Lots of books have made me cry, and not just Brandon's. I even have a shelf on GoodReads for them... Here are some of the most notable ones:

Oathbringer
Alcatraz vs the Dark Talent
The Hero of Ages

The Bands of Mourning
Most, if not all, of the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron
The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima
Pack Dynamics by Julie Frost
A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab
This Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
The Final Battle by CS Lewis
The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull
Gregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Well you see, it all started way back with Charlotte's Web and The Little Prince and proceeded from there...

I don't think Brandon Sanderson's books have made me full on tear up, but I'm much older now. The ending of Mistborn was pretty wringing, but as much in appreciation of Elend and Vin's heroism as sorrow at their fate. Oh, and what happens with Kaladin at Kholinar (and then Elhokar and Moash) in Oathbringer... OK, I may have teared up at that one, out of the mix of feeling outrage, betrayal, and sorrow. And helplessness.

In other recent fantasy works I've read, I guess various points in Robin Hobb's epic Realm of the Elderlings series (at least, for one set of major characters) had me pretty moved. Maybe to tears. I dunno. I have allergies, all right?

In my younger days it happened a lot more often. I remember crying at the ending to The Elfstones of Shannara, but I was only 13 years old and had also stayed up to 3am to finish reading it past my bedtime under a pillow with a flashlight, so I was kind of strung out by what to me was a surprise twist.

I don’t ever cry the first time I read a book. If afterwards someone tells me that the book made them cry, I somehow always end up crying the next time I read it. Only with re-reads. Not sure why.

The letter from Kelsier in The Final Empire always makes me tear up as he says goodbye to his friends and asks them to remember the good times and smile... I'm such a sucker for it, but I'm misty-eyed just remembering it and typing this out. Got me in the audiobook version, too...

The Cosmere books that made me cry (or nearly cry) are: 

The Final Empire (Kelsier has been and always will be my main man *sniffles*)

Probably Hero of Ages, but I don't remember

Secret History (right at the end) 

Shadows of Self

Oathbringer

Other books:

The Name of the Wind

Sunwing 

Edited by AxeliustheGreat

The only book that I can remember making me cry was The Way of Kings. The flashback right before Kaladin swears the second Ideal, when Tien dies...it made me think of my little brother and what'd it'd be like if he died and I just had to stop reading for a minute or two.

I cried at the end of hero of ages, the whole scene was so beautiful and sad.

But the book that hit me the most was a child's book about a girl who looses both her legs. She is devastated at first but then her parents buy her a half-blind horse and she gets better and continues with her life. The conclusion is a bit like "you walk for me and I see for you."

I know that sounds like a childish Horse novel (and it is), but it always gave me the hope that no matter how dark it gets, you can always move on, you can always find something worth living for.

I've had tears in my eyes so many times, but I've (surprisingly) never actually cried. I have screamed, attracted attention, and made @Ishar comfort me, though...

The books that got me closest to crying:

• All three SA books
  • Hero of the Ages (at the end)
  • Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima
  • Any of the Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus books (bring back memories)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
  • Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
  • All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  • The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Edited by Ashspren

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I never cry.

Of course. Dust only somehow manages to get into our eyes xD

Speaking of dust getting into our eyes cause uhhm dusty books. On top of my head

COSMERE STUFF:

Way of the Kings 

Spoiler

Syl giving Kaladin the leaf to kill himself at his darkest moment because she had no idea it would kill him and that she thought it made him happy. It was so ridiculously sweet that it almost brought me to tears.

Warbreaker (LIGHTSONG nuff said)

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Kelsier tells Vin about trust. Oddly it was not a really tearjerker scene but the message it gives just touched me)

Oathbringer 

Spoiler

Taln's gratitude, Teft's addiction and Dalinar's road to becoming a better man

NOT-COSMERE:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (the scholar pilgrim and his child's past was so storming lit like it lit my eyes every few sentences reading the entire thing.. a scifi book managed to make me cry about a slice-of-life aspect )

The Battle of Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (Riordan managed to make the most heartbreaking version of Calypso(Greek Mythology) ever )

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (the prophecy below and how it was executed )

The hero's soul, cursed blade shall reap

A single choice shall end his days

Olympus to preserve or raze

House of Hades by Rick Riordan 

• Calypso makes a return and makes you feel worse than her first appearance. 
  • The prophecy highlighted below and how it was executed

To storm or fire the world must fall.

An oath to keep with a final breath,

And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (the prophecy highlighted below and how it was executed)

To storm or fire the world must fall.

An oath to keep with a final breath,

And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

On another topic. Riordan is actually the only author that does prophecy better than Sanderson so far as i've read despite only writing YA books.

14 hours ago, Ashspren said:

@goody153 I will sob over Rick Riordan with you. Stupid troll author dude messing with my emotions...

It's so nice to find another fan of the series. Usually stuff like Harry Potter is much much more popular than his so it's kinda hard to find fans of the series as well.

Rick Riordan actually got me into reading fantasy. Even tho it was a YA and had juvenile stuff at times he does know how to stir emotion whether it's through happiness or making you feel bad. It is still one of the natural's when it came to characters as they never felt pieces of the board(i'm fine with this but most authors do this) but instead people. Kinda like Robin Hobb or Tad Willaims stuff only YA.

Calypso's storyline from PJO/HoO is still actually my favorite tragic romance story arc in fantasy. It was just really good i haven't met it's match. And Percy/Annabeth is still pretty much one of the better and natural romances i've read. (apparently i didn't realize that good romances is actually hard to find in fantasy despite romance being abundant)

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

It's so nice to find another fan of the series. Usually stuff like Harry Potter is much much more popular than his so it's kinda hard to find fans of the series as well.

Rick Riordan actually got me into reading fantasy. Even tho it was a YA and had juvenile stuff at times he does know how to stir emotion whether it's through happiness or making you feel bad. It is still one of the natural's when it came to characters as they never felt pieces of the board(i'm fine with this but most authors do this) but instead people. Kinda like Robin Hobb or Tad Willaims stuff only YA.

Calypso's storyline from PJO/HoO is still actually my favorite tragic romance story arc in fantasy. It was just really good i haven't met it's match. And Percy/Annabeth is still pretty much one of the better and natural romances i've read. (apparently i didn't realize that good romances is actually hard to find in fantasy despite romance being abundant)

Percy/Annabeth is such an amazing relationship. And Riordan got me into fantasy, too.