4 posts in this topic

Elantris is my favorite Sanderson work, and the book that got me hooked on Sanderson. I know many criticize it because it was lacking in character back story and had no explanation for the Elantrian’s beliefs, but I don’t think it needed either of those things. In fact I love a little mystery. I haven’t read the Emperor’s Soul yet but will soon enough. Elantris is the one Sanderson book that I will read over and over even above Mistborn though Mistborn is a close second (Elend grated on me enough to say that. I liked Tindwyl scolding him a little too much.) It’s an unpopular opinion, but anyone with me?

Elantris was the first book of Sanderson I've read and it will always have a special place in my heart. I reread it several times and I will reread again sometime soon. It is my favourite work of him (so far), but I have to admit that it wasn't as good as his later works. Of course he developped the way he writes a lot over the last years, and his characters got more depth, but that's only natural and doesn't make Elantris less than it is.

So I think I'm with you =)

Interesting. My first introduction to Brandon was his collar in WOT. I was mourning the end of the series because I didn't want it to end. So I then started Stormlight. I have never looked back. By the time I got to Elantris, I loved it. I didn't read the audio version though. Hrathen at first irritated me at the beginning, but towards the middle and end I loved his character. Yeah, as other people said keep in mind Hrathen is the hero. I think it makes it an even more compelling read. Emperor's Soul is amazing!! Just get Arcanum Unbounded. It's worth it and you don't have to get each short story individually. Wait till you get to the Drominad system!!!!! I would recommend rereading Elantris after you have gobbled all his other works up. Here have an upvote!