Mid-Range Game 30/Anonymous Game 2: - Scadrian Black Ops

Seonid

I'm not vulture, but I'm generally in favor of D1 lynched. The longer we wait, doesn't necessarily mean we get any extra alignment info.

For now, my vote will be on coral swan for trying to argue that D1 lynches are futile, and trying to stop a lynch. 

I'll do more analysis tomorrow though.

Edited by Indigo Weasel

35 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

We're most likely going to end up lynching a villager. But a lot of the time, deciding on a C2 lynch is just as difficult when the C1 lynch is avoided, despite what info we would gain from the kill(s), especially in QFs and MRs. So we should probably just get on with it and lynch somebody. I agree with Coral that C1 lynches aren't always NAI. I'm pretty sure there was this one game where an elim was going to get lynched on like D1 and there was some rather obvious defending going on. It's...another thing that few people actually noticed that and the elims got away with it. :ph34r:

What about your own thoughts on the matter, Vulture?:P 

I could honestly go either way with a D1 lynch. But I do agree that someone eventually has to get lynched, so why not on D1. It might give us clues about what alignment options are out there, no matter who we get.

43 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

I'm not vulture, but I'm generally in favor of D1 lynched. The longer we wait, doesn't necessarily mean we get any extra alignment info.

For now, my vote will be on coral swan for trying to argue that D1 lynches are futile, and trying to stop a lynch. 

I'll do more analysis tomorrow though.

38 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

I'm pretty sure they said that asking for whether we should have D1 lynches is futile, bc they're gonna happen regardless. 

^

Swan recalls the intent of having the discussion about D1 lynches stop before it even starts with a minority of the thread as they will always happen regardless. 

Swan does not like the bringing back of the D1 lynch discussion.

Swan votes for Indigo Weasel.

Swan thinks that you are twisting the words of the Swan, which should definitely be a crime.

8 hours ago, Melon Dingo said:

The lack of blood also suggest that this monster either has very odd feeding habits, or the presence of a hemalurgist in need of blood to store his spikes in. It could potentially be both, with the killer being some kind of hemalurgic construct serving or working with a hemalurgist. Either way I look at it, it suggest the presence of hemalurgy in this game though.

I like the theory, and the Hemalurgist would probably be an Elim, but as Azure Mouse said, if the Elims get a kill as well as the Kandra, then the game goes too quickly. Unless the Kandra doesn't actually kill anyone, and instead can impersonate the dead. Let's say that the Kandra is on the Elim team. The Elims want to kill player A and coordinate so that the Kandra (player B ) impersonates them. When the Cycle rolls over, it looks like B is dead, but in reality A is dead and B is pretending to be A.

That allows the Kandra to take advantage of kills while also allowing the game to move a bit slower. However, it might be that the Kandra is neutral, because neutral roles with cool powers could make the game a lot more interesting. In which case, this theory falls apart.

I'm still not convinced that we don't have a Chimera on the ship, though. We don't know much, but we know that Hemalurgy can make all sorts of strange things, which gives the GM a lot of room to improvise. It's probably worth looking at the game mechanics as they emerge and determine how closely to the canon this game is, and if it's very close to what we know of Scadrian magic, then that narrows our suspect field.

Hold on a moment... This is space-age Scadrial, so don't we have confirmed contact with other planets in the cosmere? Do we have any Worldhoppers on board, perhaps? That could be a neutral faction.

As for my vote, I don't like Magenta Albatross's activity so far in the game.

2 hours ago, Magenta Albatross said:

Ivory Dragonfly.

Just so everyone knows, I have no special role :(.

They jumped on Ostrich's poke vote with no other reasons. Also tried to convince us that they're vanilla, although this seems a bit TWTBAW (or whatever that Damnation acronym is).

9 hours ago, Magenta Albatross said:

About the Kandra...

Based on the information from the books, we can probably assume that the Kandra are neutral or village (and no, I'm not the Kandra trying to convince you that I'm good).

Hmm, not sure how much I like this either. The thing about this game is that it's hard to assume anything, because it's designed to be misleading and confusing. However, it's also themed around Scadrial, so there will be nuggets of truth and justification in the mechanics. Any player who seems too sure about anything in this game means that they probably know something more than everyone else. I think that a disproportionate knowledge of game rules is the way that specific roles can be spotted.

This isn't much to go on, but it's more than I have for any other player.

Magenta Albatross.

Point 1:

If we end up killing someone, I'd rather it be a player who is not participating than someone who is slightly suspicious.

Point 2:

That's why I said PROBABLY assume.

Also, let's ask Seonid if this is role-madness.  If he says yes, kill me.  I probably wouldn't take this risk if I was an elim/someone with a role.

EDIT: And yes, the acronym is correct.

Edited by Magenta Albatross

3 minutes ago, Magenta Albatross said:

Also, let's ask Seonid if this is role-madness.  If he says yes, kill me.  I probably wouldn't take this risk if I was an elim/someone with a role.

Edited by Seonid

4 minutes ago, Magenta Albatross said:

Point 1:

If we end up killing someone, I'd rather it be a player who is not participating than someone who is slightly suspicious.

Point 2:

I'm with Magenta on this one. We will likely only learn a bit more about alignment options with the kill, as there are usually very few clues about actual alignment this early. Because of that, I'll also place a vote on Ivory Dragonfly until they post. If they post, I'll reevaluate and see if there might be a better candidate.

Magenta, Mauve's reasoning is making me more and more suspicious of you, but I believe you're right, in that it's probably worth more getting information from someone who is inactive, so we don't take the chance that we accidentally boot an active villager out of the game, which will be bad for everyone. I will be keeping an eye out for your posts, however, since it's the only -albeit slightly- elim thing I've seen. Ivory Dragonfly.

RP

felt uncomfortable in his clothes, but you would feel uncomfortable too if there was a monster hunting you down. He wore a nice blue coat, and a white vest underneath that. The coat was sprinkled with white markings of the sixteen allomantic metals. V's grandfather had been an Allomancer, but no one else in his line had displayed the power since then. But then again, they would first need to Snap, and while didn't know what exactly constituted a 'Snap', he was sure it wouldn't feel good.

Who knew, maybe would Snap on this very ship. Or maybe he wasn't a mystical Allomancer at all. Regardless, he still wore his blue coat, which he'd always thought looked cool, despite feeling an odd sense of coldness. He was freezing. As he wrapped himself up in his coat, he tried placing the colour of it. Blue, obviously, but also slightly darker and more Royal.

Azure.

nodded to himself in agreement as he covered himself in his azure coat.

Edited by Azure Mouse
Grammar, and added RP

You now have the Ooops award.

I was already suspicious of you because your posts seemed odd. Flat out saying you weren't an elim is... An odd start to being a villager. I won't say I was already suspicious of you, more like your posts seemed odd, but it wasn't enough to constitute a vote. 

Edited by Azure Mouse

37 minutes ago, Magenta Albatross said:

Point 1:

Point 2:

That's all reasonable. An Elim probably wouldn't slip up like that in C1, so I'll chalk it up to mostly NAI. I find myself agreeing with Azure and Amber, so Magenta Albatross. I will be keeping an eye on you, though.

I won't vote on anyone else just yet. C1 lynches generally don't feel very nice, even if they're useful (and more valuable in this format), so I'll want to spend some time deliberating.

My opinions on the magenta albatross lynch. It just seems too perfecf, to me at least it seems very unlikely that an elim would slip like this. I’m going to wait till tomorrow though before making any final deliberations.

Edited by Emerald Falcon
Formatting

Can I note that the lynch attempt on Magenta Albatross caused a pretty quick response and pile-up on Ivory? I also disagree that lynching an inactive is the best course of action for gathering information. It's not quite as low information as it would be in other games, because at least we'd get to learn about a role and/or alignment, but I disagree that it's a better lynch than a lynch on an active, as it'll not gain us any information we can use to find out people's alignment, unless he happens to be an inactive elim.

Magenta Albatross for now, as I really dislike the activity that popped up to seemingly protect her.

Edit: Secondary suspicion right now would be indigo weasel, for his misrepresenting of what Swan said.

Edited by Melon Dingo

2 hours ago, Melon Dingo said:

Can I note that the lynch attempt on Magenta Albatross caused a pretty quick response and pile-up on Ivory? I also disagree that lynching an inactive is the best course of action for gathering information. It's not quite as low information as it would be in other games, because at least we'd get to learn about a role and/or alignment, but I disagree that it's a better lynch than a lynch on an active, as it'll not gain us any information we can use to find out people's alignment, unless he happens to be an inactive elim.

Magenta Albatross for now, as I really dislike the activity that popped up to seemingly protect her.

Edit: Secondary suspicion right now would be indigo weasel, for his misrepresenting of what Swan said.

Sorry for the late response. Ivory already had two votes before the Magenta vote so he had it coming anyway, but about your other points, I agree, which is why Magenta is one of the players I'm keeping my eye on. As of now, however, I don't feel I've got enough to confidently vote on them, and I don't want to risk lynching someone who is not only a villager but also active, which is marginally better than an inactive villager. So, it's not an act of protecting or defending Magenta, in all likelihood I might vote for them next cycle if I don't get a better target by then and their posts remain dubious.

I'll check on Indigo's posts now for your second suspicion.

~~~RP~~~

“That’s all well and good,” the man in the blue coat whispered to Denesta, “but my only fear is that helping too much is the exact kind of thing that’ll get us killed. Believe me, my grandfather knew of these creatures. They were intelligent. And they could be any of us.”

His words settled into Denesta like spikes of zinc. One of Harmony’s servants, on the ship? That made it far worse than any mere predator. If Harmony himself had turned against them, then they were all but doomed. But even worse, if the Faceless Immortal on board had slipped free of Harmony’s circle…

She would not let herself shiver. Fear was the enemy, as much as the Immortal was.

The man who had spoken settled back to his place, drawing his coat closer around him. Denesta saw the Allomantic markings on the blue cloth, in an older style. Curious. Maybe he was an Allomancer of some sort. If he was, she could ally herself with him and gain some protection against the crew and the alleged predator. But some people thought that it was rude to ask, and Denesta didn’t want to be called Bronzetongue again.

In a small space, where people were desperate and afraid, any imagined offence could turn into anger, and then that could turn into a shiv in the darkness. Denesta would keep her head down, and if this potential Allomancer did not want to reveal his power now, he might do so when things became worse.

That was her hope, slim as it was.

The man in blue’s eyes met Denesta’s, and she looked away. The people around the table seemed to be ignoring her request for order and leaders. Typical. A few were arguing softly about food supplies, and fingers were being pointed at a huddled shape by the wall.

Denesta studied the figure in the corner for a moment. It was too dim in there to see if they were male or female. Whoever they were, they had fallen into the icy grip of mindless terror. Denesta Vreaux knew that feeling well. When the adrenalin faded but the fear did not, limbs locked up and the mind swirled.

“…a drain on resources,” one of the people at the table was saying, shaking a finger at the person in the corner. “If they’re not going to help us, then we shouldn’t provide for them.”

Denesta resisted the urge to sigh. It was so strange how quickly desperate people turned on themselves. As if killing their own would save them from their situation. As if, once they were sitting alone in the dark with everyone else dead around them, the blood on their hands would give them some sort of peace.

Denesta flexed her metal arm. Blood on the hands offered no salvation, no peace. She knew that better than most.

The clinking noise of her finger joints made people look over. Conversation hushed slightly as more eyes fell on her. They seemed to be wanting something from her. Advice? Support?

“I…” she said, and then swallowed. All of those desperate, hungry eyes gave her pause. “Our food will not last forever,” she said. “Eventually, the weaker will perish.” Was she really saying this, her of all people? Ruin’s shadow must be laughing somewhere. “It might be…better for some to make it to the end of the journey than for us all to die halfway there.”

The others nodded and looked away from her, then continued to argue. Denesta let out a breath. The words felt like acid on her tongue.

She quietly withdrew from the table and returned to her mat of woven canvas straps. When she was sure that no one was watching her, Denesta withdrew a piece of hardened steel from her pile of belongings.

She slowly scraped the metal down the edge of her mechanical arm. The sound made the man in blue glance over, but she ran the metal down the edge of her forearm again without meeting his eyes. She checked the edge. The metal of her arm was softer than the piece of steel, as she’d guessed.

She sat cross-legged on her mat, scraping at the metal of her forearm, tapering the outer edge. The motion relaxed her, even though the sound made her skin crawl. She tested the edge of her arm. Not sharp yet, but soon it might be.

She couldn’t rely on allies in this place. When the lights dimmed, she would have only her arms to defend herself. It might help if one doubled as a blade.

2 hours ago, Melon Dingo said:

I'll Devil's Advocate a little bit here. If Amber and Azure were indeed trying to protect a teammate, then wouldn't they wait? There's still a whole day left in the Cycle for Magenta to account for their errors, and it seems pretty sloppy for two members of an Elim team to jump on defending someone with votes the moment that the person had attracted attention. This is C1 and I was the first person to vote on Magenta, so I feel like it would be a bit of an overreaction for that defence of sorts to appear.

However, both Amber and Azure voted on the same person that Magenta was voting on, which could either be a team coordinating against a single person, or an attempt to piggyback on an existing vote. It could even be that Amber and Azure are trying to pocket Magenta. 

I think that your point is pretty relevant, Melon. Azure has stated suspicion of Magenta, but not enough to constitute a vote on an active. They would rather lynch an unknown and inactive than someone who had some suspicion on them, but I can sort of understand that. It's harder to lynch someone who's been talking when there's someone who hasn't offered any help. However, it might have been an Elim stating suspicion of a teammate to distance.

Hmm, I'm sort of rambling at this point. I was going to consider the Ivory lynch, but you've given me pause.

An interesting discussion is the value of lynching an active versus an inactive. An inactive has potential to be helpful, but hasn't proven anything yet and so it appears like lynching them has a significantly smaller cost than lynching an active. However, I can also see that lynching an active who already has some connection to other players will give more information, and is therefore a higher benefit. I'm just not sure which one is objectively better. Anyone else want to weigh in on that?

16 minutes ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

I'll Devil's Advocate a little bit here. If Amber and Azure were indeed trying to protect a teammate, then wouldn't they wait? There's still a whole day left in the Cycle for Magenta to account for their errors, and it seems pretty sloppy for two members of an Elim team to jump on defending someone with votes the moment that the person had attracted attention. This is C1 and I was the first person to vote on Magenta, so I feel like it would be a bit of an overreaction for that defence of sorts to appear.

Elims could decide to jump on quickly to help a team-mate, rather than risk that vote gathering more momentum. Right now they could still get away with a relatively light defense and a vote elsewhere to try and get voting momentum to go in another direction, but if the Magenta lynch where to gather more momentum, it'd become harder to justify not voting on him if he flips elim and it would become more difficult to get the vote to go elsewhere.

Edited by Melon Dingo