Characters you didn't care for at first but now love?

Xero stormz

I found Steris boring when we first met her, if amusing in her interactions with Wax and her father and Marasi, but by SoS and BoM, I adored and related to her somewhat, haha!

Same with Sazed during his depressive periods and going through his religions. When I first read it I had barely any sympathy for his struggle, not that I didn't care, but I was like "the end of the world is coming, religion can come after we have more than a few days to pray!" and "Seriously, in ALL of the years of the Final Empire, the ATROCITIES of the Lord Ruler, you never questioned your faiths before, or how you could believe all and none of them? This has NEVER come up?" but then on subsequent rereads (and possibly after some growth on my part), I found his struggles far more compelling and tragic.

I’m a little surprised no ones said szeth. I thought he was mentally disturbed with all that ‘honor’ stuff and doing whatever his master said even if it meant killing people. But on oathbringer I really started to like him more. Also Elend. When you first see him he’s all like “ look at me I’m a rebel and I’m different” and I couldn’t stand it. But after that he becomes a totally bad A mistborn. 

15 hours ago, goody153 said:

Zane was the catalyst for the annoying love triangle(i know it's about Vin "choice" more than romance but still annoying not an aspect i would want from the Mistborn when i was first reading) and Kelsier was just waaaay more interesting than him in terms of tortured characters who rose to change things.

Of course Kelsier is way superior to Zane, but I dont think anyone hated Kelsier. I wasnt really bothered by the love triangle, because I never doubted how it would end.

Zane. He felt like a generic love triangle creator in the beginning, but I started to love how seriously disturbed he was. He's technically a prophet of Ruin, and I loved discovering that he was spiked through the chest. 

4 hours ago, supersmith said:

I’m a little surprised no ones said szeth. I thought he was mentally disturbed with all that ‘honor’ stuff and doing whatever his master said even if it meant killing people. But on oathbringer I really started to like him

Thanks for the reminder. I agree. OB-Szeth is great. Before... not really a favorite. 

Also, unrelated to the quote I think EVERYONE found Mr T vastly more compelling at the end of WoK than in the beginning.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Jasnah. I thought she was stuck up at first, and I hate stuck up characters. But she grew on me increasingly and at the end of Way of Kings, I absolutely loved her. Navani though, can die in a hole. 

To put it in reverse, I used to like Sadeas until the end of WoK. I liked how he challenged Dalinar and Adolin (not a huge fan of Adolin, but he’s more bearable than Elend was.) but at the end it seemed to fall apart for me. I was upset to see he was just another villain. Oh well, can’t have it all I guess.

I’m pleasantly surprised to see that someone else feels the same about Zane as I did in Well of Ascension. I loved how he played with his father like a toy, I thought it was funny. His character only had one purpose though and that was to strengthen Elend and Vin’s relationship, so he couldn’t last. Oh well. I thought he was cooler than Elend. He just had to turn out to be a sadistic freak and ruin it for me. :unsure:

I wasn't a big fan of Kaladin, Dalinar, Clubs, Elhokar, Sazed, Kiin, Wayne, Lift, Galladon, or Siri at the beginning, they all seemed... ingenuine. But I have grown to completely adore all of them. 

Edited by BitBitio
Fixed a word

Here we go:

Siri - To start with she felt whiny, but I thought she was really fun by the end.

Renarin - He was just sort of there, and then suddenly became my favourite.

Jasnah - Thought she was just mean and one sided, but I love her character now.

Steris - Do I really need to explain?

Adolin - Felt like the dull, Prince Charming type character to begin with, but I really think he's great now.

And Hrathen - I honestly can't explain this one well, but he's brilliant.

Marsh - Great character development.

And this one only sort of works, but Lightsong - I originally thought he was funny, but just a comic relief character (and that he was petulant for no reason), but by the end I really liked him (can't say why because spoilers).

Also, I'm going to leave this thread now, because this post just keeps getting longer...

Edited by Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, supersmith said:

I’m a little surprised no ones said szeth. I thought he was mentally disturbed with all that ‘honor’ stuff and doing whatever his master said even if it meant killing people. But on oathbringer I really started to like him more.

This.

So, for me, I find my opinions on characters generally remained unchanged, and if they do change, they go from good to bad (Generally when a character just gets old). I think the ones I disliked the most that now I like are probably Steris, although I am still somewhat unsure what to think of her, and Sazed, who I really wasn't sure what to think of at first. A lot of people on this thread said Hrathen, but for me, I always liked Hrathen. I am not really sure why, part of it may have been that I could kinda tell he was going to switch sides, and even if he hadn't, I would have still liked him.

Edited by Ishar

On August 5, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Ishar said:

Steris, although I am still somewhat unsure what to think of her,

When I told you that I didn't like Steris... weren't you the one who told me that she was great by BoM? :P

For my actual list (not in order)...

• Steris
  • Jasnah
  • Elhokar
  • Hrathen
  • Khriss
  • Renarin

Hmm, there have been a lot, now that I think about it.

Top of my list right now is Nale; in edgedancer he had the feel of just a Mike Meyers slow-walking boogy-man, a sterotype Law-zealot.  But in OB as we got to hear his actual outlook and reasoning, I really started to be interested in his outlook.  He's the basically patron saint of the Law, but he freely aknowledges that it is an entirely imperfect approximation of actual Justice; between that and being self-aware enough to discourage Szeth from swearing fealty to him personally (the understanding he might well be broken) makes me really want to sit down and have a conversation with the guy.

The others, in no particular order:

• Steris
  • Wax and Wayne (both were tons of fun in Allow of Law, but only really became the great, deep characters in the following books)
  • Sazed (he was just kinda boring at first, at least compared to the rest of the crew...little did I know)
  • Both sisters in Warbreaker
  • Most of the Returned (except Lightsong, I loved him from the get-go)
  • Shallan (not sure I like her yet, but she's getting better)
  • Jasnah

I've got a new one. An nobody seems to talk about her at all.
At first Tintwhyl was an annoying condescending nagging know-it-all.

But the second I found oit she died i wanted her back.

I really like that Sanderson writes characters on our side that may not be entirely likable.

And of course Shauka daughter Hasweth. She may only be breefly mentioned once in the whole Stormlight Archive but each time i grow more fond of her.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been rereading SA and had a realization how much I underappreciated Dalinar.

Reading WoK for the first time I wasn't that interested in his plotline, and it didn't change through WoR. But then came OB. I read everything again and I have to say that... I'm full of respect for him? Like, what he does is crazy. Everyone thinks that what he does is crazy. Through all three books almost everything Dalinar does seems just irrational and crazy. But he does it anyway. It's storming awesome. 

• Chaos locked this topic