2018-07-21 Iona Library - Idaho Falls, ID

Pagerunner

12 hours ago, NotarySojac said:

If any other Bozeman-area people were going and had room in their cars, I would definitely be interested in going. (I think that a three-hour event would be a bit short to justify taking a Greyhound)

Maybe @Jess would? I wish I could!

6 hours ago, Dearius said:

I live about ten minutes away from there.  I’ll definitely be going.  Does anyone have some questions they would like asked or should I just check the list?

Brandon is actually kind of lowkey unhappy with The List™, he prefers if you ask questions you personally are interested in.

This being said, a link to my own list is in my signature, in case something catches your fancy. Recently, I myself have been interested in the following:

Oathbringer spoilers

Spoiler
  • Is Unity one of the ten names of the Almighty?
  • Are the spren that power the Halfshards Radiant spren?
  • Is the kind of metal that goes into a fabrial’s metal frame important to the function of the fabrial? 

Or, if you prefer something from outside of Stormlight:

• Can gemstones hold Investiture other than Stormlight?
  • Were there mists in Southern Scadrial during the time of the Final Empire?

On 7/5/2018 at 7:43 AM, Argent said:

Brandon is actually kind of lowkey unhappy with The List™, he prefers if you ask questions you personally are interested in.

I didn’t know that about the list.  I can see why though.  In any case, I actually don’t theorize a whole lot about the Cosmere, despite being more or less caught up.  I usually move on to other books/shows/games while waiting for the next Sanderson one to get published.

The only question I remember having after reading Oathbringer had little to do with the Stormlight Archives.  I was thinking about asking which named shard would scare Brandon the most if it were out for his blood.

I do like your questions about fabrials though and will probably ask about that.  It doesn’t seem likely to get me a rafo.

Edited by Dearius

I was looking over the Bridge Four article on the Coppermind when a thought occurred to me: Bridge Four took in lots of new recruits in Oathbringer. Did the new members get the Bridge Four tattoo as well?

I'd be grateful if you or someone else asked that during the signing, @Dearius. :) 

Edit: Considering that Renarin does not seem to have the tattoo, the answer is probably no. But maybe it's still worth asking to be sure.

Edited by skaa

I have a question if anyone wants to ask Brandon. OB Spoilers

Spoiler

In Urithiru, the gemstone vault that Renarin unearthed, could that be considered the in-world Stormlight Archive? (Note: I had a major geek-out session when I made that connection.

35 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I have a question if anyone wants to ask Brandon. OB Spoilers

Hide contents

In Urithiru, the gemstone vault that Renarin unearthed, could that be considered the in-world Stormlight Archive? (Note: I had a major geek-out session when I made that connection.

Looks like somebody did you a favor and already asked this :) Obviously, still Oathbringer spoilers.

18 hours ago, rkae610 said:

I'm planning on going, and I'm so excited! I'm going to bring all of my Sanderson books. (But my brother wants me to bring another random book to see if Brandon Sanderson will sign a book he didn't write. Haha!)

Generally no. Sometimes, if it's a book by a friend of his - Pat Rothfuss, Brian McClellan, Brent Weeks, Jim Butcher, and a couple of other are the ones I've seen this done with - he will write something funny in it. But, as a rule, no.

10 hours ago, Argent said:

Generally no. Sometimes, if it's a book by a friend of his - Pat Rothfuss, Brian McClellan, Brent Weeks, Jim Butcher, and a couple of other are the ones I've seen this done with - he will write something funny in it. But, as a rule, no.

I was not expecting that, but it's really funny that you had an answer to that.

Edited by rkae610
I made grammatical errors.

So Brandon's site just posted a more in depth article on this signing- I recommend checking it out. Apparently the Grand Teton Mall Barnes and Noble will be on site with Leatherbound editions, and any purchase (of one of Brandon's works) will donate some money to his Lightweaver Foundation- So Brandon books+ Charity= awesome.

I've mainly lurked on coppermind and r/cosmere but hit my first Q&A with Brandon today so figured I needed to make an account here finally and stop by.  Is this the proper place to discuss Words of Brandon?  I know I saw someone else recording so the main Q&A session should hopefully be making it's way up somewhere.  My question during Q&A was:

Spoiler

Sja-anat tries to convince Shallan she is not her enemy and tells her "ask my son". Is the son she is referring to Pattern?

He said, "No, but it is a spren out in the world.  Try to think of a spren that doesn't seem to be of honor or cultivation."  

So I followed up before he could move on and said "Is it Glys?"  

And then he RAFO'd.

I also got a question in during the signing.  He RAFO'd but then elaborated and seemed like he gave away more than he intended which seems directly spoilery for SLA 4/5.  I have no idea if I'm allowed to post it if it's likely to kinda spoil plot even if it is first brought up in Oathbringer.  Any chance someone can confirm that or a mod can message me and rule on it?

Edited by kurvyyn

49 minutes ago, kurvyyn said:

I've mainly lurked on coppermind and r/cosmere but hit my first Q&A with Brandon today so figured I needed to make an account here finally and stop by.  Is this the proper place to discuss Words of Brandon?  I know I saw someone else recording so the main Q&A session should hopefully be making it's way up somewhere.  My question during Q&A was:

Hide contents

Sja-anat tries to convince Shallan she is not her enemy and tells her "ask my son". Is the son she is referring to Pattern?

He said, "No, but it is a spren out in the world.  Try to think of a spren that doesn't seem to be of honor or cultivation."  

So I followed up before he could move on and said "Is it Glys?"  

And then he RAFO'd.

I also got a question in during the signing.  He RAFO'd but then elaborated and seemed like he gave away more than he intended which seems directly spoilery for SLA 4/5.  I have no idea if I'm allowed to post it if it's likely to kinda spoil plot even if it is first brought up in Oathbringer.  Any chance someone can confirm that or a mod can message me and rule on it?

Welcome to the forums! Yeah, this is the place to share and discuss WoBs from the signing.

As far as rules about what's legal to share: if Brandon said it, it's fair game on the forum. But, since it's your question, you're welcome to keep it private. Just say so, and we'll cut it out of tbe recording when it gets posted to Arcanum. If you're wondering if Brandon would like you to keep it quiet, if he said too much by mistake, I'd recommend asking him or Peter in a DM on Reddit. (I'd recommend u/PeterAhlstrom first; u/mistborn is pretty busy writing books and all that, so he might take a little while to respond.)

And for your first question, Glys was who I thought of when she mentioned her son, so I think you're on the right track.