NoVa/DC Signing Report

Oudeis

EJ, if you get this, PM me.

Here's a rough transcription of all of the cosmere-specific questions asked. If you want to hear a lot of good questions and answers about how to write your own book, or some Wheel of Time stuff, listen to the audio or hope someone better at transcription takes a crack at it.

Can the Heralds Surgebind without their blades? If not, are they under the same restrictions as <can’t quite hear the last bit>

A: The Heralds without their Blades are incapable of the powers you’re familiar with.

Which order of Knight Radiant would you want to be?

A: Bondsmiths (this is different from a previous answer). But the Bondsmiths are difficult to get into, only a certain number of people can be Bondsmiths.

Is Hoid the one who comes out of the lake that Rock is talking about?

A: RAFO card.

What tweak did you wish you’d made?

A: I wish I had had Kaladin choose not to kill Szeth.

I was looking at the map of Roshar, and it kinda looked like a spiral to me…

A: That was intentional. You are on to something that no one has figure out yet.

(at 42:36 the questioner says something VERY QUIETLY and i cannot make it out)

The gravitational constant is the same (presumably he means that, since Roshar’s gravity is .7G, that means the planet has 7/10 the mass of Earth).

Are you going to make any of your primary characters into worldhoppers?

A: Some of them already are. (He is specifically going to RAFO if main characters from SA will be worldhoppers)

Do Surges shared by adjacent Orders act the same? (This was a long, involved question and I paraphrased

A: Mainly, yes. The mix of the two Surges will modify their use slightly, but for the most part, individual Surges are themselves. When you see Skybreakers use the Gravity Surge, it will look much the same as when Windrunners use it.

Winner for my favorite question:

In book 1, Dalinar catches a Chasmfiend claw. In book 2, he catches a Shardblade. Will he catch something impressive in every book?

A: Dalinar is pretty good at catching things, isn’t he… um, RAFO?

Three of Sixteen reigned, but now the Broken One rules. Did Odium follow three Shards to Roshar?

A: Odium is the third Shard on Roshar.

Has decided who the “Back Five” viewpoint characters are, but not their order. Taln is one of them. “The person who calls himself Taln.”

Once all ten books are done, if you go back and re-read some of the chapter titles from earlier books, you will find foreshadowing.

Can you steal Channeling with Hemalurgy?

A: “They are in different universes, so I would say ‘no’.”

Who would win in an argument, Shallan or Lightsong?

A: “Lightsong. More practice.”

More books on Sel?

A: Yes, eventually.

More books on Nalthis?

A: Yes, a long way off.

Brandon actually asked this of a fan dressed as Where’s Waldo:

Is your name actually Waldo?

A: No, unfortunately.

When Dragonsteel?

A: Long, long, long time.

How much Stormlight is equal to one Breath?

A: … This is one of the times I have to go to Peter and say, “They’re asking, we have to canonize this.”  (So, I guess, perhaps ask later and he’ll have an answer? Or post and hope Peter tells us? Though I wonder, as Sigzil says, we don’t really have units yet for Stormlight. I guess the amount 1 Chip can hold, assuming each polestone holds the same amount?)

Would Allomancy (presumably he means steelpush/ironpull) affect Shardblades?

A: It cannot affect Shardblades. Well, “cannot” is a strong term. Things with Innate Investiture are much more difficult to affect with any of the magics at all. For example, Szeth cannot Lash people in Shardplate. Duralumin and a really strong push could probably do it.

Followup: I was wondering if Shardblades are actually metal.

A: It’s metalish… it’s metal enough for allomancy to push on it.

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon and traveled to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

A: It would act very very similarly, yes. But it would be like… it wouldn’t necesarily do the exact same things. (Analogy about radios that he says is bad). It would act the same but wouldn’t grant the same powers.

Is Shardplate crem?

A: No, it is not, good question.

In what way is becoming an allomantic savant like being a body-builder?

A: That’s a good analogy

Are other magic systems like that? Will we see them soon?

A: Other systems are like that… will we see them soon? RAFO.

Is it difficult to worldhop from Sel because it’s cognitive realm is ocean?

A: No, that is not the reason, good question.

What alloy did Hoid drink?

A: He wanted to make people act in the way he wanted them to.

Are there any locations on Roshar with red stone?

A: Yes.

Where did the red stone at Feverstone come from?

A: Roshar.

Is Vasher the one who brought Nightblood to Roshar?

A: RAFO.

Follow up: Please please please?

Is Eshonai going to be one of the Radiants?

A: In the past, Parshendi were not allowed to become Knights Radiant. However, from what I’ve said, might imply that that can change. No promises.

Can spren be resurrected?

A: Theoretically possible, but very difficult without the people who originally betrayed their oaths.

Is your hand okay?

A: I’m doing all right.

And that’s all I got before my phone died. He seriously asked, “Do you have any questions?” prolly more often than people had actual questions, so if you’re nervous (like I was at my first signing) if you’ll sound silly for asking him your fan theories… he apparently loves this stuff. Do it! Make his day!

Edited by Outis

Hello everyone!

I don't have a full report per se, but Sanderson answered two of my questions when he was signing my books.

Q. Can you soul forge someone against their will?

A: Yes

Q: Could someone soul forge Nightblood to change its original intent/command from "Destroy Evil" to something else?

A: Yes.  But the person doing it would need to be expert at forging and it would take a lot to it.  

So now, we can imagine a Nightblood with other commands!   What it the command was "Protect Life"?   The sword might be able to block any attack, disarm opponents, but never give a killing blow.   Or it might refuse to be drawn at all.  

Kay here's the link to the audio for the signing line. Right now it tells me it's "still processing" but hopefully that'll be done soon. This is my first time on soundcloud so hopefully I've properly set it as "public" or whatnot.

Gonna be a busy day, so I won't be able to transcript it myself for a while. My friend's question wasn't recorded so here's the paraphrase:

"Are there creatures native to the Spiritual Realm, the way spren are native to the Cognitive Realm?"

"Yes, but they're not what you think."

Also, the car accident was 100% the other guy's fault, and no one was hurt. It was simply an annoying and expensive delay.

Edit: I might not have added the link last time...

Edited by Outis

"Are there creatures native to the Spiritual Realm, the way spren are native to the Cognitive Realm?"

"Yes, but they're not what you think."

That's impressive Brandon can read minds now. He didn't even have to ask what you thought was native to the spiritual realm, he just knows.

I was also permitted to set my IPod on the table during the individual questions.  It has about 2 hours of audio. 

I am gona try to upload it later when I'm not so busy.  I had a great time. I was the fellow with the green bridge 4 Horneater Stew Tshirt.  I had to cut it short cause I had a 4 hour drive back to Norfolk.  The line was prolly gonna take another hour.  I had some great Cosmere conversations with other sharders, and spread the word about the sight to a few noobies who were only partially aware of Inter-Cosmere connections but seemed interested to find out more...  I also got a Szeth code I'm about to redeem. YAY for SWAG!

FYI,   I started my recording after Outis came back in line, saying his cell was about to die.  So it should be mostly different.

What's more... MAJOR spoilers for books 3 and/or 4...

A number of things he's said imply that Eshonai will be a Radiant. She will be of a unique order to the other main viewpoint characters. So not Windrunner, Lightweaver, Truthwatcher, Edgedancer, or Bondsmith. Presumably, Szeth will be a Skybreaker and presumably, Jasnah will have a viewpoint book in the Back 5, so that leaves out Skybreaker and Elsecaller as well. Meaning she'll be a Dustbringer, Willshaper, or Stonewarden, with the other two Orders being whoever the other two Back 5 viewpoint characters are. I suspect Dustbringer, because he also implied the "comet-looking spren" are a bonding spren, and they have been seen near Eshonai, and I think they're part of the Dustbringers because most Bonding Spren so far have looked like the Essence associated with their Herald and Polestone, and Chach is the Essence of Fire. ((For reference, I'm talking about the fact that Syl looks like wind (air), Ivory looks like a blob of oil (oil), and Pattern travels just beneath the surface of things (blood).))

Some of the things he's said that imply she'll be a Radiant: Each book is associated with a person, and an Order. Someone asked if listeners can bond spren to be Knights Radiant, and his reply was, "Previously, this was impossible."

I was at the signing, had a blast talking to some other fans. I asked a question related to spren, based on a discussion over in the WoR forums that I can't find at present.

Question: After speaking the third ideal, if Kaladin were to betray his oaths again, would Syl turn into a Shardblade?

Answer: Yes.

Has decided who the “Back Five” viewpoint characters are, but not their order. Taln is one of them. “The person who calls himself Taln.”
“The person who calls himself Taln.”

Edited by Argent

I forgot to ask the question but someone asked it for me that didn't have their own question ( I got caught up in discussing safe pouches with him)

Q: Is the reason spren are visible on Roshar becuase of Cultivations presence.

A: yes, but some were there before they arrived.

Also to the people in the loud circle please pm me so I can plan out the drunken theory crafting? I forgot to get peoples contact information because I'm smart like that.

Ok, I think I finally got this audio available.  It was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE... you know where to get this off my ancient I Pod and onto a file.  My I Pod couldn't export it directly from its internal voice memo to a regular file but I was able to export it 8 min at a time to my email. Trimming it into 8 min chunks on the touchscreen SUCKED. So there is some overlap. Sorry. I formatted onto a cloud player.

https://soundcloud.com/green-fire-1/sets/wor-signing-line-q-a-by-green

It starts about a minute before Outis's ends.

Edited by Green Fire

I just wanted to tag on here... I'm the one who was wearing the TheoryLand shirt in the third row of seats from the Q&A session. Brown hair, red beard. I'm also the guy who asked about Odium on Roshar. In one of my copies of WoR, I asked Brandon to write something about Renarin, since I really like the character. He wrote "There is something very odd about Renarin's Spren", and he did a drawing of Renarin in ShardPlate in my other book. I can't wait for the next book... Stones Unhallowed (or whatever he decides to call it now that Pat Rothfuss is coming out with a book with "Stones" in the title).

I just wanted to tag on here... I'm the one who was wearing the TheoryLand shirt in the third row of seats from the Q&A session. Brown hair, red beard. I'm also the guy who asked about Odium on Roshar. In one of my copies of WoR, I asked Brandon to write something about Renarin, since I really like the character. He wrote "There is something very odd about Renarin's Spren", and he did a drawing of Renarin in ShardPlate in my other book. I can't wait for the next book... Stones Unhallowed (or whatever he decides to call it now that Pat Rothfuss is coming out with a book with "Stones" in the title).

Well, it's the same gender as him, for one.