Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are more closely related then any other world in the cosmere- I think

Both Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are very alike. Szeth and Vasher's twin swords (which suck up breath or stormlight, then kill), and just the way stormlight and breath work kind of in the same way. Does this make any sense? I've got more stuff about this if anyone wants it. Anyway, I just find it kind of cool.  

23 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Both Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are very alike. Szeth and Vasher's twin swords (which suck up breath or stormlight, then kill), and just the way stormlight and breath work kind of in the same way. Does this make any sense? I've got more stuff about this if anyone wants it. Anyway, I just find it kind of cool.  

Hold on, if you don't know about this yet, it will be quite a ride.

Sanderson has created a beautiful creation called the Cosmere; it is a set of interconnected worlds, where each story is independent, but characters from other worlds show up in fairly random places.

The 'twin swords' are not twin, they are literal same sword, Nightblood. It is not only taking breaths or Stormlight, it is taking Investiture, or the magical energy behind both Breaths and Stormlight. 

Look more throughout the Shard, or ask questions here and I, or anyone else who stumbles upon this thread will answer it for you. 

Look for Hoid everywhere

Also, here is a good place to read: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere

Edit: Also, good job finding out about part of the Cosmere by yourself! I had to have it explained to me before I sensed any part of a connection between books of the Cosmere. 

Edited by Droughtbringer

Welcome to the wonder that is the Cosmere! It's Brandon's term for the shared universe and you've seen it mentioned at least in Stormlight Archive, though you might not have understood the significance.

Now, if you did know about the connection and were thinking more specifically that the worlds have something in common, Brandon has said that there are certain similarities in the way their magics work which make them both relatively easy systems to get power out of for people using non-native magics.

Questioner

How difficult is it to transfer Investiture from one magic system to another, is it even possible?

Brandon Sanderson

How difficult is it to transfer Investiture from one magic system to another. It is possible. It is more difficult with different magic systems. Breaths are easy. Stormlight is fairly easy. Others from there on get pretty hard.

source

There's another very important link between Nalthis and Roshar that you've seen and might have missed and I'm spoiler-tagging in case you want to go hunting for yourself.

Spoiler

The ardent that taught the Kholin brothers and gives instruction to Kaladin, named Zahel? That's Vasher. If you pay close attention you'll notice that he exhibits signs of having BioChroma's 'life sense' and he makes unusual color and flower-related metaphors that confuse his listeners.

The similarities between magic systems however is not intentional on the part of anybody in-universe but a quirk of how magic in the Cosmere manifests.

Edited by Weltall

Well i totally wrote that wrong. I do know about the cosmere- I have read all cosmere books and shorts. However, I wasn't aware that Vasher and Zahel where one and the same and that the swords were the same because in warbreaker, nightblood is heavy but light in stormlight. I was simply thinking that maybe they are a lot closer related than any of the other worlds, like white sand and scadrial.  

does this mean that the woman they meat in oathbringer is Siri's sister (i forgot her name)

2 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

does this mean that the woman they meat in oathbringer is Siri's sister (i forgot her name)

Yes, Vivenna, and with that topic shift, you now need to edit [OB] at the beginning of your topic :P

13 hours ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Well i totally wrote that wrong. I do know about the cosmere- I have read all cosmere books and shorts. However, I wasn't aware that Vasher and Zahel where one and the same and that the swords were the same because in warbreaker, nightblood is heavy but light in stormlight. I was simply thinking that maybe they are a lot closer related than any of the other worlds, like white sand and scadrial.  

Nightblood is actually heavy in both worlds. I don't think Szeth ever describes him as light?

And yep, Nightblood is sword-nimi and Vasher is Zahel. Azure is Vivenna. Warbreaker was written as a kind of prequel to Stormlight.

Yeah, just for funsies: Brandon originally wrote a draft of The Way of Kings (the 'Prime' version) which included Vasher going by that name. He wrote Warbreaker in part to give Vasher backstory, before the rewrite that gave us the Way of Kings that we know and love. So he was always intended to be part of Stormlight Archive, though Brandon decided to have him use an alias in the final version.

One thing I love about Brandon is how open he is about his writing process (excepting the parts that he keeps back because of spoilers of course) so you can see how he recycles or reworks ideas from unpublished and incomplete works to make what we all get to enjoy. It's a lot of fun looking for and geeking out over these connections. xD

Edited by Weltall

Yeah, Brandon's said that Nightblood is chronologically the closest book to The Way of Kings so it will bridge the gap as close as it's gonna be bridged, though the book isn't going to be about Vasher and Nightblood leaving Nalthis. And it's also going to act as a bridge for Brandon to start working Aether of Night material more directly into the Cosmere before its eventual rewrite and publication, which I'm really looking forward to.

So many upcoming books and I want them all now! And while I'm at it, I might as well wish for a lerasium bead, a bunch of Breath and a highspren Nahel Bond...

57 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Yeah, Brandon's said that Nightblood is chronologically the closest book to The Way of Kings so it will bridge the gap as close as it's gonna be bridged, though the book isn't going to be about Vasher and Nightblood leaving Nalthis. And it's also going to act as a bridge for Brandon to start working Aether of Night material more directly into the Cosmere before its eventual rewrite and publication, which I'm really looking forward to.

So many upcoming books and I want them all now! And while I'm at it, I might as well wish for a lerasium bead, a bunch of Breath and a highspren Nahel Bond...

I never knew that Aether of the Night was going to be rewritten! That’s so exciting, because I loved it.

Also, I think we’re all wishing for the Lerasium, Breath, and Nahel Bond...

• eleventh of the moon changed the title to Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are more closely related then any other world in the cosmere- I think
6 hours ago, RShara said:

Warbreaker was written as a kind of prequel to Stormlight.

We really need to be asking ourselves "why". Could Brandon have made a talking sword that could do cool stuff without creating the world of Nalthis? Do we need Nalthis for any reason? So far? Do we think Brandon super needed Sword Nimi to make the plot make sense?

I have one idea:
I really do think the people of Roshar will abandon the world and Bec one refugees on Nalthis (as refugee migration and ehtics surrounding that is a huge motif so far in Stormlight). We've never seen a shard shatter nor have we seen the good guys lose; it feels like by necessity Roshar needs to go down. We also have a WOB that we've already seen the end of the series, and we've seen Honour's prediction of a possible future involving the planet being destroyed...

Roshar doomed:

Edit: this is just my theory.
Book 6-10 will be set primarily on Nalthis. Vivenna and Vasher exist as people who could credibly bring back refugees and are people with the social power to get through "customs". Heck, Nalthis has customs which seems to exist as a potential plot point against the Rosharans. We will see the Iriali move onto their next homeward, and we will see Nalthis/Endownment struggle to allow voidbringers into their world. Perhaps Cultivation survives and odium falls, but Roshar is gonzo. 

I did say most of this to Brandon over reddit and his response was   "......" as if I had guessed right ;)

Edited by teknopathetic

On 2018-07-03 at 3:58 PM, teknopathetic said:

Roshar doomed:
Book 6-10 will be set primarily on Nalthis. Vivenna and Vasher exist as people who could credibly bring back refugees and are people with the social power to get through "customs". Heck, Nalthis has customs which seems to exist as a potential plot point against the Rosharans. We will see the Iriali move onto their next homeward, and we will see Nalthis/Endownment struggle to allow voidbringers into their world. Perhaps Cultivation survives and odium falls, but Roshar is gonzo. 

Has Brandon released that to the public or is that just a theory? Is this what they mean when they say stormlight will be split into two different sections (1-5, 6-10)? Thanks for letting me know this, it helps with my big board of connections. 

Image result for criminal connections board

this isnt my picture, but i have a mental one of those

1 minute ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Has Brandon released that to the public or is that just a theory? Is this what they mean when they say stormlight will be split into two different sections (1-5, 6-10)? Thanks for letting me know this, it helps with my big board of connections. 

Image result for criminal connections board

Sorry man, thats just a theory I have. 

11 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

We really need to be asking ourselves "why". Could Brandon have made a talking sword that could do cool stuff without creating the world of Nalthis? Do we need Nalthis for any reason? So far? Do we think Brandon super needed Sword Nimi to make the plot make sense?

I have one idea:
I really do think the people of Roshar will abandon the world and Bec one refugees on Nalthis (as refugee migration and ehtics surrounding that is a huge motif so far in Stormlight). We've never seen a shard shatter nor have we seen the good guys lose; it feels like by necessity Roshar needs to go down. We also have a WOB that we've already seen the end of the series, and we've seen Honour's prediction of a possible future involving the planet being destroyed...

Roshar doomed:

Edit: this is just my theory.

I did say most of this to Brandon over reddit and his response was   "......" as if I had guessed right ;)

Wait you got a link to that reddit post?

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Wait you got a link to that reddit post?

It was a private message. I said that ROshar appears doomed do to meta-reader analysis, and that Roshar is all about refugees. I did not mention Refugees going to Roshar. His response was ".... RAFO =)" which is different than his usual "RAFO" in tone. 

Nothing is conclusive, but man did it look weird haha. 

Edited by teknopathetic