Reckoners should be Cosmere!

Reckoners should be canonised as Cosmere!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Reckoners be officially canonised as Cosmere?

• Yes!
    • Yes!
    • Yes!
    • I’m going to kill you for asking this

From the Arcanum*:

Darudeboy

Still don't see why The Reckoners can't be a part of the Cosmere. Especially with all that why down in the last book. Sooooooo shard like

Brandon Sanderson (summarized) 

What's your name son? I want to know so I can name a mediocre Epic after you. Then I'll kill it off by burying it in chull dung. Would that make you happy? Reckoners isn't cosmere. Period

Editor's note: After this WoB was taken, a lynch mob was formed in the lobby of the convention centre. The resulting night of terror leveled three city blocks. 

Source: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/182/#e5063

* not really 

16 hours ago, Archer said:

From the Arcanum*:

* not really 

Darudeboy

Still don't see why The Reckoners can't be a part of the Cosmere. Especially with all that why down in the last book. Sooooooo shard like

Brandon Sanderson

I'll dig into it eventually, but there are good reasons why the powers don't fit the magic of the cosmere.

It's important to me that I don't go stuffing things into the cosmere willy-nilly. The stories that fit should go there, and contribute to the lore of the cosmere. The ones that don't should be able to have their own lore and mechanics.

source

The actually quote

Sixteen and seventeen!

Edit: The screenshot won't show up, but the quiz results say 16 people voted to kill and one person voted yes.

Edited by AonEne

Well, heres the thing though, and I thought of this a while ago, but for my safety didn't mention it. Technically the Reckoners does take place in the same Multiverse as Cosmere. Anybody who knows the basics of Multiverse Theory may already know what I am talking about, but for those who aren't familiar with Multiverse Theory, it is basically the theory that there is an infinite amount of universes, all slightly different from the next. In Reckoners Megan's powers use other universe to create illusions and sometimes bring people through, thus making Multiverse Theory more than a theory in the Reckoners. Because Multiverse theory is that there are infinite different universe, the infinity theory means that one of those universes would be the Cosmere we know and love. Whether it will actually be possible for travel/communication between those universes is extremely unlikely, especially since Megan could only draw from very similar universes, of which the Cosmere is definitely not one. So the real answer: Cosmere is in the Reckoner's Multiverse, but there will never be any form of communication or transportation between the two universes, and it is better that way.

8 hours ago, Ishar said:

Well, heres the thing though, and I thought of this a while ago, but for my safety didn't mention it. Technically the Reckoners does take place in the same Multiverse as Cosmere. Anybody who knows the basics of Multiverse Theory may already know what I am talking about, but for those who aren't familiar with Multiverse Theory, it is basically the theory that there is an infinite amount of universes, all slightly different from the next. In Reckoners Megan's powers use other universe to create illusions and sometimes bring people through, thus making Multiverse Theory more than a theory in the Reckoners. Because Multiverse theory is that there are infinite different universe, the infinity theory means that one of those universes would be the Cosmere we know and love. Whether it will actually be possible for travel/communication between those universes is extremely unlikely, especially since Megan could only draw from very similar universes, of which the Cosmere is definitely not one. So the real answer: Cosmere is in the Reckoner's Multiverse, but there will never be any form of communication or transportation between the two universes, and it is better that way.

An infinite amount of universes does not mean each universe exists.

Sounds weird? Imagine this. There is an infinite amount of integers (whole numbers), but there are numbers that are not integers. For example, 1.5.

15 hours ago, Ishar said:

That 100% is not how the multiverse theory works.

Do any of you know the Infinity Theory? It is the one about monkeys and Shakespeare. Basically it means that when you have infinity, you will have literally everything, meaning one of the universes would be the Cosmere.

As John Green wrote in The Fault in Our Stars,

There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There’s .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.

He's restating a theory made by Georg Cantor. Cantor thought that if you order all the things in a set (be them numbers, apples, universes...), then compare them to another set, you can see which is bigger. You simply match each item off with one from the other set. Whichever set has leftover items in the end is bigger. So because when you compare infinities one is always bigger, some infinities are bigger than other infinities.

In my view, for The Reckoners universe to definitely exist in your definition of the multiverse of Brandon Sanderson, the amount of alternate universes that exist must be the largest infinity possible. That is, the ideal point at the right end of the number line. To show that the amount of universes is not the biggest infinity, I just need to show that there at least one universe that can not exist.The easiest way to do that would be to say that some can not because of the rules Brandon has imposed.

Now you may disagree with all this, perhaps by using something like Douglas Adams' argument from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe,

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

But I don't think that there is an infinite amount of space available. If there is infinite possibilities, then everything exists at least once. That means that there must be an Epic one with the power to destroy space, thus making the amount of space in the multiverse not the biggest infinity. And if you think that power is impossible, then you've proved my first point about there being rules. 

But if everything exists at least once, then what's stopping there being an Epic with the power to make the mount of alternate universes finite? The amount of paradoxes that would be created by this interpretation of the multiverse theory are (potentially) infinite:D

One biggest problem with the Reckoners and Cosmere being in the same Multiverse is that the Cosmere has more rules of the universe than just physics: Cognitive Realm, Spiritual Realm, and how each realm interacts with the other realms. This could explain how Epics get their power, investiture from the Spiritual Realm and that Calamity is a splinter that edits the Epic's spiritweb and then unconsciously influence them via cracks in the spiritweb, but the biggest problem with that idea is that the Spiritual Realm doesn't has distance, so everything is connected, how do the shards not know of all the different universes, unless each universe has their own Spiritual Realm.

Well, if you really want the Reckoners to "go Cosmere" despite what Brandon himself has said, here's what you can do:

1. Get four (4) thin but very pointy spikes made of pure iron
  2. Get four (4) paperback bound or hardcopy printouts of canonically Cosmere works; the shorter, thinner ones would be easiest:
    • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
    • Sixth of the Dusk
    • The Emperor's Soul
    • Warbreaker
  3. Wet them until the ink starts to run
  4. Stab them each with one of the iron spikes, right through the ink
  5. Quickly pull the spikes out and pierce your copy of Steelheart with the spikes

You now have as close as you'll ever get to integrating the Reckoners into the Cosmere in the form of a hemalurgic transformation into a "bookoloss".

• Chaos locked this topic