Kaladin and Vin

Mari

... I think Vin and Elend did a fantastic job of that.

They would probably get along too; but I think Elend and Vin made a good couple because they complimented each other well.

Also Elend was a full undiluted mistborn; so he really brings the "power" to power couple.

Edited by Journey Before Pancakes

5 hours ago, Weltall said:

Welcome to the Shard!

I'm pretty sure the ultimate 'power couple' in the series historically was Honor/Cultivation. We know their relationship was romantic and it's hard to get more powerful than two Shards. xD

Don't disrespect the disfunctional marriage that is Ruin/Preservation ;) 

Elend and Vin are the best for each other, and I don't think that Kaladin and Vin would be great romantically. Vin and Kaladin both struggle with the thoughts that they are killing too many things or people, and Elend kind of brings that balance into the Vin/Elend relationship. 

Plus, there are some heart melting moments between the two that are just too perfect to replace– the dance, when they first meet on the balcony, etc.

15 hours ago, goody153 said:

I think Kaladin and Vin together would just descend into madness. They don't seem to be a positive buffer to each other(both needed somebody as their morale compass which was Elend and Syl)

I agree with the madness thing. It might end with a fight, which would be pretty epic. I wonder who would win.

Vin was the first "hero" I was introduced to in the Cosmere. I read Mistborn and was infatuated by Kelsier then obviously that didn't work out and I was distraught! I grew to love Vin and Elend's relationship though and don't think that Kaladin and her would be a good fit.

I read Stormlight and Kaladin just drew me in with how down to earth and approachable he is as a character. The two of them have different approaches to life and how they deal with others and although they would make a good team I doubt they would last romantically.

I think Kaladin and Kelsier would honestly be a better match, in terms of personality. Kelsier honestly exemplifies the unsullied Lighteyes that Kaladin thought of Amaram as, and I can easily see Kaladin thinking of Kelsier much the same as Spook did.

14 hours ago, recneps said:

I think Kaladin and Kelsier would honestly be a better match, in terms of personality. Kelsier honestly exemplifies the unsullied Lighteyes that Kaladin thought of Amaram as, and I can easily see Kaladin thinking of Kelsier much the same as Spook did.

Kaladin i think wouldnt like Kelsier. Kelsier kills just because. Kaladin doesnt like to kill at all. he wants to understand everyone. 

Kell killed a lot.

18 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Kelsier is way too Slytherin for Kal.

Kelsier is what Kaladin tried to become in Words of Radiance - ruthless and hard, bringing death to those who deserve it in the name of those who don't. Syl pushed him away from that, filling a role as his moral compass. Kelsier could also fill that role. A moral compass doesn't necessarily have to push in a positive direction. Kelsier would provide the stability and confidence Kaladin needed, allowing him to move past the crisis, yet push him in a different direction. Kaladin didn't take the path to Kelsierdom - but he would've, if he'd known Kelsier.

18 hours ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Well, you do have to take into account that Scadrial is a much harder and more brutal world then Roshar, so Kelsier needed to be more hard core

Ehhhhh, that one's debatable. Scadrial in Era 1 is definitely not a fun place to be but on the other hand, neither is Roshar and life there has been sucky for even longer stretches of time. Scadrial had a thousand years and some change of Rashek's theocracy and then the aftermath that let to the Catacendre but after that it's become the nicest place to be in general. Roshar at the time of the books is coming out of thousands of years of relative peace, which still involved wars between human and mostly-human civilizations, several attempted or actual genocides (the Scouring of Aimia), a False Desolation and the mass enslavement of an entire race. And before that there were Desolations that were miniature apocalypses that potentially reset all civilization back to stone age levels occuring on an increasingly regular basis... and now another one has started so Roshar is a really bad place to be. Not to mention that Hoid, used to much nicer environments, had this exchange:

"Perhaps a story for a child. I will tell you one, to get you in the mood. A bunny rabbit and a chick went frolicking in the grass together on a sunny day."

"A chick...baby chicken? And a what?"

"Ah, forgot myself for a moment. Sorry. Let me make it more appropriate for you. A piece of wet slime and a disgusting crab thing with seventeen legs slunk across the rocks together on an insufferably rainy day. Is that better?"

So yeah, Roshat's got lethally unpleasant weather and giant crustacean-ish monsters, along with all the fun and exciting warfare and the larger system being home to Odium.

Brandon has said that Kelsier on Roshar would be a really interesting thing, because a core aspect of his character is that he's skirting right on the line between hero and villain. His environment helped channel him in the former direction (because he had someone to fight against who made him look good by comparison) but as we saw in Era 2, someone thinking like Kelsier three hundred years later was undeniably a villain. And if he were on Roshar at certain points in its history, Odium would probably have loved him as a perfect unwitting agent.

Anyhow, point being that environment is a huge factor in shaping the characters but it's not the only thing.

Scadrial in Era 1 is definitely not a fun place to be but on the other hand, neither is Roshar and life there has been sucky for even longer stretches of time. Scadrial had a thousand years and some change of Rashek's theocracy and then the aftermath that let to the Catacendre but after that it's become the nicest place to be in general. Roshar at the time of the books is coming out of thousands of years of relative peace, which still involved wars between human and mostly-human civilizations, several attempted or actual genocides (the Scouring of Aimia), a False Desolation and the mass enslavement of an entire race. And before that there were Desolations that were miniature apocalypses that potentially reset all civilization back to stone age levels occuring on an increasingly regular basis... and now another one has started so Roshar is a really bad place to be. Not to mention that Hoid, used to much nicer environments, had this exchange:

Ok, fine. i guess that makes sense. They are hard in different ways. I still think that in Mistborn era one it is more brutal. In the final empire the ska life is really bad, Roshar peasants never find their life so bad, not even bridge-men. Being a bridge-man id considered the ultimate Rosharan punishment, but think about the pits of hathsin. Also, the ash and killer mist in The Hero of Ages might be worse in the long term than the highstorms. It didn't let things live. I do see what you are saying. Kelsier did what he had to do in his world, but taking him to another world would be catastrophic. The worlds are very brutal in different ways. Era two is a much better world than Roshar. 

1 hour ago, eleventh of the moon said:

I now have to wonder, why are all shards insane?

...they're not. All the Vessels are strongly influenced by the Intent of their Shard, some so strongly their original personality is largely overwritten and others not so much, depending on how good a match there is between Intent and Vessel. Ruin isn't insane per se, he's just become so influenced by the power that he's become unable to do anything else even though he fought against it for a long time. Brandon's mentioned elsewhere that Ati lacked the willpower to resist the transformation, or in other words he wasn't a great match for his Shard. Similarly, Preservation had a fixation on stasis which could be dangerous if unchecked but the real reason he seems so weird in Secret History is that he was dying the whole time. Sazed by contrast is able to hold both those Shards without being so twisted, because he's a good match for both.

That's just those Shards though. Edgli/Endowment hasn't shown any weird personality traits, Rayse/Odium is a nasty customer but he was apparently always that way so his Shard hasn't affected him that much, Tanavast/Honor seemed to be quite stable. OB spoiler

Spoiler

Up until his death when he apparently started to go a bit nuts, but again that's when he was in the process of dying at Odium's hands. According to the Stormfather he kept caring about the people of his world until the end.

The little we've seen of Cultivation doesn't present someone who's insane at all, but rather someone able to engage in very subtle long-range plans.

And Bavadin/Autonomy is... her own unique deal.

Edited by Weltall

...they're not. All the Vessels are strongly influenced by the Intent of their Shard, some so strongly their original personality is largely overwritten and others not so much, depending on how good a match there is between Intent and Vessel. Ruin isn't insane per se, he's just become so influenced by the power that he's become unable to do anything else even though he fought against it for a long time. Brandon's mentioned elsewhere that Ati lacked the willpower to resist the transformation, or in other words he wasn't a great match for his Shard. Similarly, Preservation had a fixation on stasis which could be dangerous if unchecked but the real reason he seems so weird in Secret History is that he was dying the whole time. Sazed by contrast is able to hold both those Shards without being so twisted, because he's a good match for both.

That's just those Shards though. Edgli/Endowment hasn't shown any weird personality traits, Rayse/Odium is a nasty customer but he was apparently always that way so his Shard hasn't affected him that much, Tanavast/Honor seemed to be quite stable. OB spoiler

Hide contents

Up until his death when he apparently started to go a bit nuts, but again that's when he was in the process of dying at Odium's hands. According to the Stormfather he kept caring about the people of his world until the end.

The little we've seen of Cultivation doesn't present someone who's insane at all, but rather someone able to engage in very subtle long-range plans.

And Bavadin/Autonomy is... her own unique deal.

ok, that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Kal and Vin might fight well together, but as a romantic couple? No-go.

agreed. They often have close personalities and ideals, but they might be too hard for each other. Thats why they need people like Syl and Elend. They would fight great together and a battle between the two would be really epic. 

• Chaos locked this topic