[OB] Dawn city's as a backup plan?

nomonthegreat

Just a thought I felt I needed to voice so it would stop bouncing around my head and driving me nuts:

Elantris spoiler ahead:

Spoiler

In elantris the city is a "glyph" that transforms people into invested elantrians giving them magic 

What if, when honor and cultivation found out how odium shattered dominion and devotion and the side effects of this on the magic system and people decided to create the dawn city's which are all symmetrical rock "glyphs" or "symbols" to act the same way as elantris in case odium tried and succeeded to shatter either of them in the same way 

Elantris is an Aon, not a glyph.

Anyways, Stormseat already got obliterated despite being a Dawncity, so I doubt that's it.

Also, glyph symmetry tends to be wildly different from possible cymatic figures, plus we actually have an art page in OB that shows a glyph 'evolving' over time, implying there is no 'true' form or anything like that, though on the other hand Kaladin creates the Windrunner glyph when swearing a new Oath.

There's actual debate in-universe on what actually constitutes a Dawncity so they're clearly not obvious. Also, Elantris works as it does because the magic of Sel is form-based. Rosharan magic appears to be bond-based so the alleged symmetry of a Dawncity, or of the glyphs, or of 'holy' names do not serve as a conduit to power on Roshar in the same way than an Aon or a properly carved Soulstamp do on Sel.

18 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Elantris is an Aon, not a glyph.

Anyways, Stormseat already got obliterated despite being a Dawncity, so I doubt that's it.

Also, glyph symmetry tends to be wildly different from possible cymatic figures, plus we actually have an art page in OB that shows a glyph 'evolving' over time, implying there is no 'true' form or anything like that, though on the other hand Kaladin creates the Windrunner glyph when swearing a new Oath.

Oops my mistake what I was trying to show was that aons and glyph are the same idea, a set combination of lines that form a lager image. like mandarin 

elantris also was damaged so the destruction of one doesn't mean anything plus there are multiple other dawn city's 

Also while glyphs on roshar as a language change over time,the glyphs created by honor and/ or cultivation would be the"true form" or whatever and that would be the glyph that kaladin creates

9 hours ago, Weltall said:

There's actual debate in-universe on what actually constitutes a Dawncity so they're clearly not obvious. Also, Elantris works as it does because the magic of Sel is form-based. Rosharan magic appears to be bond-based so the alleged symmetry of a Dawncity, or of the glyphs, or of 'holy' names do not serve as a conduit to power on Roshar in the same way than an Aon or a properly carved Soulstamp do on Sel.

Well that's my whole idea that it's a  "in case of doomsday backup". IF odium shatters honor or cultivation and stuffs them in the cognitive realm like he did to dominion and devotion the people or parshmen/ singers/ listeners would then be able to access their investiture the same way the elantrians do 

1 hour ago, nomonthegreat said:

Well that's my whole idea that it's a  "in case of doomsday backup". IF odium shatters honor or cultivation and stuffs them in the cognitive realm like he did to dominion and devotion the people or parshmen/ singers/ listeners would then be able to access their investiture the same way the elantrians do

That's not how magic in the Cosmere manifests. While the Shards have some control over how their magic works, they don't get to design their magic. Honor didn't decide which Surges got paired together, it was a natural part of Roshar when he arrived. The whole thing with spren forming symbiotic bonds, the Parsh and so on were there before the Shards existed. Magic on Roshar is all about these bonds, the Shards can't choose to make it form-based.

Also, Odium would not try stuffing any other Shard's Investiture into the Cognitive Realm like he did D&D. Brandon has said that what resulted from that was something Odium did not want to happen, but he was inexperienced at the whole 'Shard murdering' thing so he didn't know better at the time, and what he's done since is 'better' from his perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

The dawncities could be the dawnshards. We know that the dawnshards are extremely powerful weapons and that they have been lost. Also we have the shattered plains which form a symmetrical pattern around one of the former dawncities. What might have happened is that the dawnshard in/under Stormseat activated and that is what created the shattered plains. Also, that would explain why the Fused started to rip apart Kohlinar and tear up the walls and ground, they want to get their hands on the dawnshard under the city. It might also explain some of the weird rock strata that are found in the dawncities, the strata being a byproduct of the investure of the dawnshard and perhaps their impact on the planet. When the Parsh people or the humans found the impact sites, they built their cities around it as either a religious monument or as a way to prevent the weapons from being used again. 

• Jofwu changed the title to [OB] Dawn city's as a backup plan?
  • Chaos locked this topic