"A cool Breeze passed through the room while Ash fell from the sky"

Ixthos

Sometimes, when I read something, the image that the author wanted to show and the image I see are not the same. When I first started to read the Wheel of Time, I had a rather disturbing mental image of Mat "throwing up his hands".

No matter what Cosmere story it happens in, when the phrase "a cool Breeze" is used, I picture Breeze walking through the room and wearing shades. When "Ash fell from the sky", I wonder how the herald got to Scadrial :-P

Does anyone else have similar experiences either with Cosmere novels, or novels other authors have written?

Edited by Ixthos

Wow! Interesting (and hilarious) post. No, that sort of thing rarely happens to me, but I think a few things may be intentional. Such as the "Honor Is Dead" chapter title in The Way of Kings that takes on multiple meanings (honor as a concept, and Honor as a Shard). 

Though, the saying "throwing up" in relation to tossing something upward always puts a nasty image in my head as well :D 

I always giggle whenever somone says "gaze" in an audiobook.:

"Her gaze fell upon the city" becomes "her gays fell upon the city"; it is amazing thinking of an army of gays destroying Luthadel. 

Another example i heard recently that made me laugh was "she yearned to keep his attention, to hold his gays". 

Edited by teknopathetic

This thread reminds me of one scene from Oathbringer when 

Spoiler

Dalinar cursed "Stormfather" and Stormfather actually replied. 

which was basically a common joke about the Stormfather and i can't believe Sanderson actually did it.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, TruthlessofShinovar said:

Wow! Interesting (and hilarious) post. No, that sort of thing rarely happens to me, but I think a few things may be intentional. Such as the "Honor Is Dead" chapter title in The Way of Kings that takes on multiple meanings (honor as a concept, and Honor as a Shard). 

Though, the saying "throwing up" in relation to tossing something upward always puts a nasty image in my head as well :D 

The "Honor is Dead" chapter was absolutely intentional, I guarantee it.

• Chaos locked this topic