Help Worldbuilding

Kaj

I need names. Names for cities, people, animals, landmarks. Really anything associated with worldbuilding. I am working on a novel and am in the process of worldbuilding. On this planet, there are two separate continents separated by a river so deep that they are considered separate continents. The river is almost wide enough to be called a channel. On one continent, the land is all taken up and split into Kingdoms. The other continent is almost completely open and lived on by Clans. The Seventeen kingdoms are patrons to the largest seventeen clans. There is frequent trade between the two. Both continents are nearly symmetrical to one another. There are eighteen basic regions that are associated with the main magic system on this planet. Seventeen regions have semi-magical (Geography is involved to an extent.) borders that keep everything the same. The last region is mixed and variable. On the kingdoms continent, there is a capital of each kingdom and the kingdoms' borders are nearly identical to the magic/natural borders. I want the name of each capital and king/queen to be blatantly or loosely associated to the corresponding element. The elements are in the chart below. Clan leaders the same. I also need names for characters. The cultures are based on the cultures associated with the romance languages (plus a bit of Gaelic and Germanic). By this point in the timeline, nearly everyone has one, two, or all the elements. Holidays would be great too. The only major event is sponsored by the kingdoms and performed by the Clans. The Sterling Star Ceremony. This event contains the ceremony just after sunset and the games and carnival-like celebrations continue on until morning. Most things there cost between an Imus and a Primus. Some selective and experimental things cost more. (See chart below). Things like activities would be great as well. The only major activity I have is four-way capture the flag. The only experimental activity I have set up is a group that specializes in hover technology and magnetism. They have all sorts of playground and skatepark equipment. Important things to know: Seventeen Kingdoms, Seventeen main clans (as well as many other small clans), Each kingdom has a capital, they are in a time period like after medieval but before guns. Canons do exist though. As well as basic mechanical machines. Their time system is different. Their monetary system is different. They are associated with the elements. Culture backgrounds are a mix of Latin, French, Gaelic, Germanic, Spanish, Tribal, and the element they identify with. Also one question. Should I change Bug to something more along the lines of Animal? Any other worldbuilding Ideas would be great. The channel referred to at the beginning is actually a river of power. There is one in every world in the series. This river is the river of Guidance. It bestows symbols of guidance to some. It considered sacred to those who follow the Paths.

Selection_047.png

Selection_048.png

Selection_049.png

Selection_050.png

Since you've picked out Earth cultures as a model, you can use their languages to come up with names. I don't know exactly how things are distributed, but I think it would make sense if all the kingdoms used Latin or Latin-derived versions of their elements' names, and the tribal clans used the Germanic or Gaelic versions. For instance, the Earth Kingdom could be called "Terra," and the earth clan/tribe could be called "Earthfolk" of "Turfmen."

@Belzedar That's the cool part. So the planet's universal name is Tera. Given names are all over the board so far, but many of self-given names have a meaning behind them. I will probably use more cultural names (For some reason I didn't think of that). The elements are referred to by their Esperanto name. (The Holy Tounge). The idea with the clans and kingdoms is a little reversed since the kingdoms are more Germanic and Gaelic while the clans are actually the Latin-derived. I am using it though. I have Gaelic Kingdom Names, the rest will be germanic. The clans I have no problems nameing. When I start on people, Rulers, and magic weapons the names are going to be more difficult to come up with.