[OB] Parshendi Spren Bonding Questions

Hoohoo2

NOTE: I've been told that this counts as an OB Spoiler. If you want no information about the book please exit the thread (it may have been moved since this note), else it should contain only minor information about spren with the only character "spoiler" in point F (you do not encounter the character prior to the book, and by the time you do the question becomes obvious, though you should probably avoid that one if you haven't read the book yet (I mean to say that simply at a glance won't hurt, but actually reading it might ruin a little bit)) However the first person to mention this should be on OB did bring in a lot of spoilers for it, so perhaps avoid reading other comments if you want to read this.

So... I've been thinking about parshendi recently, and more specifically about their forms. We know that each form corresponds with at least one spren, though we do not know if each spren has its own form. Thinking about this, I came up with a few questions, mainly just what would bonding ____ spren yield, but a few more serious one's as well:

A) Have Parshendi attempted to bond creationspren yet to achieve artform? If not, but they know of creationspren, have they attempted to get help from friendly humans to attract

B) Can a Parshendi bond a spren that a human attracts for them? Alternatively, could a spren be haggled/diplomacied with to bond a Parshendi if they wouldn't normally do so?

C) Can a human bond a spren in a fashion similar to that of a Parshendi? Since I feel the parshendi gemheart has something to do with this, could a human receive some sort of transplant of a gemheart, and bond spren after? If so, what might the affects be?

D) What Spren can cause workform? Warform may be caused by angerspren, nimbleform by fearspren/windspren/something, and the others have spren that make sense too, but what would allow for workform?

E) What spren causes dullform? Are Parshendi born to dullform as they have no spren, or is it a different form we do not know of? After bonding a spren, does the spren stay with the Parshendi, or does it leave? We have not seen anything suggesting it stays beyond bequeathing the form, no communication with a spren offering help in applicable scenarios, no strange version of the thrill for warforms that might show angerspren or whatever is bonded for it getting to control the Parshendi a little bit.

F) Should a parshendi bond a highspren (Rlain with an honorspren?), would they adopt a new form of power? Would they change form at all as the bond is external, and not having to do with the gemheart?

G) On to less serious questions, what would alespren yield when bonded?

H) What would deathspren yield when bonded? Would it be possible to bond a deathspren? Is it possible to intentionally attract a deathspren as you are likely to think you won't die, but will get close? Do parshendi attract deathspren seeing as they are less physical and more cognitive than humans causing most spren to prefer humans?
I) Anyone else have interesting sprenbond ideas? Maybe starspren or firespren?

These aren't truly serious questions. If someone has actual answers to these that would be cool, but mostly it would be nice to just hear other people's opinions on it.

Edited by Hoohoo2
note about wrong page, currently reported and awaiting transfer

44 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

A) Have Parshendi attempted to bond creationspren yet to achieve artform? If not, but they know of creationspren, have they attempted to get help from friendly humans to attract

Not successfully. The reason that they were painting flowers in Eshonai's interludes was an attempt to attract creationspren for that very reason. 

46 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

B) Can a Parshendi bond a spren that a human attracts for them? Alternatively, could a spren be haggled/diplomacied with to bond a Parshendi if they wouldn't normally do so?

They can bond with spren by trapping them in a gemstone, so I'd assume so. 

49 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

C) Can a human bond a spren in a fashion similar to that of a Parshendi? Since I feel the parshendi gemheart has something to do with this, could a human receive some sort of transplant of a gemheart, and bond spren after? If so, what might the affects be?

Yes and no. But to explain my reasoning here would require addressing events that are spoilers, so... 

51 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

D) What Spren can cause workform? Warform may be caused by angerspren, nimbleform by fearspren/windspren/something, and the others have spren that make sense too, but what would allow for workform?

I don't believe that any of the spren for each form have actually been identified in book. Except for... 

53 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

E) What spren causes dullform? Are Parshendi born to dullform as they have no spren, or is it a different form we do not know of? After bonding a spren, does the spren stay with the Parshendi, or does it leave? We have not seen anything suggesting it stays beyond bequeathing the form, no communication with a spren offering help in applicable scenarios, no strange version of the thrill for warforms that might show angerspren or whatever is bonded for it getting to control the Parshendi a little bit.

According to the Stormform transformation, the Parshendi assume that multiple spren cause dullform. 

From interlude 4 of WoR 

“This could change the world, Bila,” Eshonai said. “If Venli is right, and she can bond with this spren and come out with anything other than dullform . . . well, at the very least we will have an entirely new form to choose. At the greatest we will have power to control the storms and tap their energy.”

When experimenting with a new spren, they expect either a new form... Or dullform. Which is part of why I believe that dullform is not a true form, but a protection from bonding with a non-viable spren. 

58 minutes ago, Hoohoo2 said:

F) Should a parshendi bond a highspren (Rlain with an honorspren?), would they adopt a new form of power? Would they change form at all as the bond is external, and not having to do with the gemheart?

This question makes me think you should be posting on the spoiler board... 

I've read all cosmere works including arcanum. It may have been a while for a few (such as having forgotten that the flowers were for attracting creationspren rather than practice & such. Spoilers are perfectly fine here.

ah... so if dullform is simply incompatible spren what would an unbonded parshendi take as its form? yeah... interludes don't stick in memory too long. Re-reading they probably would because I would notice things I've formed questions about, or notice other cosmere stuff, but I haven't gotten around to rereading it yet... I probably will eventually, but I have... well, a shelf and a half of books at least that I want to read through... this will probably come before all of those though.

also, interesting idea about dullform being a defense. What makes you think it is a defense rather than the spren just being incompatible?

ah... so if dullform is simply incompatible spren what would an unbonded parshendi take as its form? yeah... interludes don't stick in memory too long. Re-reading they probably would because I would notice things I've formed questions about, or notice other cosmere stuff, but I haven't gotten around to rereading it yet... I probably will eventually, but I have... well, a shelf and a half of books at least that I want to read through... this will probably come before all of those though.

also, interesting idea about dullform being a defense. What makes you think it is a defense rather than the spren just being incompatible?

if everything has a spren, could a Parshendi bond with a swordspren? a shieldspren? in the distant future, a computerspren? a laserspren? a websitespren? a threadspren? (that brings up an interesting question: if the website has a spren, are we killing it when we don't comment? are we literally reviving the thread when we necro it, rather than just metaphorically?)

how about a spaceshipspren? (try saying that five times fast) a commentspren? a userspren? (we could name it Tron!) an autocorrectspren? (there wouldn't be any trouble finding one of those. this comment alone would attract several.) 

the possibilities are endless!!!

On 6/22/2018 at 7:54 PM, Hoohoo2 said:

I've read all cosmere works including arcanum. It may have been a while for a few (such as having forgotten that the flowers were for attracting creationspren rather than practice & such. Spoilers are perfectly fine here.

As Calderis mentioned, Oathbringer spoilers need to be in the Oathbringer forum.  You can get a mod to move this thread by using the report button.  

On 6/22/2018 at 7:59 PM, Hoohoo2 said:

Also, double posting is discouraged here - you can use the edit button to make additions to previous posts.  

This is a helpful resource:

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Parshendi Spren Bonding Questions
  • Chaos locked this topic