Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ALAKA

[OB] Nightblood "Airstrikes"

14 posts in this topic

In the battle of Thaylen city, Szeth obliterates (possibly on all three realms!) a thunderclast just by flying into it with Nightblood. He then loses the sheath for a while and nearly dies, before getting back the sheath. From then on he keeps Nightblood sheathed for the rest of the battle. Why doesn't he use it again, at least to take out high-value single targets like ships or the other thunderclast? Maybe wipe out a few slower-moving Fused, or even Amaram? He's of similar speed to the flying Fused, so they can't stop him easily. 

He just has to make sure he doesn't lose the sheath again, which can't be that hard for a super-duper flying psycho-ninja...

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nightblood probably wouldn't be that effective on uninvested things like Ship, because "easy" investiture like Thundercast's or human's soul seem to amplify it's destructive power. (Otherwise it would also eat the ground around it's victims).

And to why Szeth didn't use it earlier - he is probably REALLY terrified of this power - power to end live with (basically) wave of hand. Think about how it must look from his perspective. Especially after it turned against him. Also remember that he always gets scars that don't heal, what makes it extra scarry.

I think he will avoid using it for at least a few days, until he picks himself back together.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Szmit said:

Nightblood probably wouldn't be that effective on uninvested things like Ship, because "easy" investiture like Thundercast's or human's soul seem to amplify it's destructive power. (Otherwise it would also eat the ground around it's victims).

In Warbreaker, Nightblood vaporized stone ceilings and walls.

The only reason he didn't also vaporize the ground below the people is that they're separate objects, and he was only touching the person.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

In Warbreaker, Nightblood vaporized stone ceilings and walls.

The only reason he didn't also vaporize the ground below the people is that they're separate objects, and he was only touching the person.

He can vapotize anything, but easy investiture probably makes it easier. We know that the more he eats, the more powerfull he gets, and drains more investiture from used (until shiethed). What I'm saying is that when he devours Invested Objects, the "easy" investiture helpes him acces "hard" investiture(positive feedback loop), that is normal matter, that's why when it touches humans they suddenly explode into smoke, but when he touches uninvested things he vaporizes only most immediate area as if red-hot knife through butter.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airstriking Amaram with Nightblood would probably have been an excellent idea, but I think Szeth may have been otherwise occupied at the time Kaladin fought Amaram.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nightblood better not go to Scadrial since it's all investiture right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Airstriking Amaram with Nightblood would probably have been an excellent idea, but I think Szeth may have been otherwise occupied at the time Kaladin fought Amaram.

He was extremely uncomfortable with being near the the Odium splinter that causes thrill. That was kinda the reason he didn't dive deeper that part.

And Szeth is kinda crazy and less intuitive he even asks Nightblood if he should save people since he's Radiant now. You kinda just do it normally without asking if you could. Doubt Szeth is scared of NIghtbloods power he's not the type who contemplates about how powerful or the tools he uses. He just uses them

If i'm being honest when i first saw this thread i was thinking Szeth literally throwing nightblood like a missile then let it do it's own work(through tempting people to kill themselves) lol

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ALAKA said:

In the battle of Thaylen city, Szeth obliterates (possibly on all three realms!) a thunderclast just by flying into it with Nightblood. He then loses the sheath for a while and nearly dies, before getting back the sheath. From then on he keeps Nightblood sheathed for the rest of the battle. Why doesn't he use it again, at least to take out high-value single targets like ships or the other thunderclast? Maybe wipe out a few slower-moving Fused, or even Amaram? He's of similar speed to the flying Fused, so they can't stop him easily. 

He just has to make sure he doesn't lose the sheath again, which can't be that hard for a super-duper flying psycho-ninja...

While in theory this sounds simple and a very good strategy. But the problem is Nightblood is very hard to control. Sheathing it seems to take a lot of effort due to the battle rage he induces. 

Quote

Destroy! Nightblood’s voice boomed in his head. The evil must be destroyed! Pain shot up Vasher’s arm, and he felt his Breath being leached away, sucked into the blade, fueling its hunger. 

Quote

He cried out, arm shaking. Destroy . . . evil . . .Nightblood said in his mind, all lightness gone from the tone, all familiarity. It boomed like a command. An awful, inhuman thing.

https://brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-chapter-fifty-six/

In Oathbringer Szeth nearly dies and slams the sword back into the sheath. It seems to take a lot of effort to override Nightblood's desire to destroy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Nightblood aside, if Szeth has sworn the Third Ideal of the Skybreakers to follow Dalinar, shouldn't he have access to an ordinary Sprenblade now? Or are the Skybreakers Shardless like the Bondsmiths? Nalan is of the Fifth Ideal and he's never exhibited Plate. And it's not clear if his Blade is the reclaimed Honorblade, or his Sprenblade, or is it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, robardin said:

Well Nightblood aside, if Szeth has sworn the Third Ideal of the Skybreakers to follow Dalinar, shouldn't he have access to an ordinary Sprenblade now? Or are the Skybreakers Shardless like the Bondsmiths? Nalan is of the Fifth Ideal and he's never exhibited Plate. And it's not clear if his Blade is the reclaimed Honorblade, or his Sprenblade, or is it?

He didn't swear his third ideal until after the battle, so he should have one now. 

Nale has a Shardblade, when he tells Szeth he joined the order, he summons his sprenblade to demonstrate, though we normally see him wielding his Honorblade. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Calderis said:

He didn't swear his third ideal until after the battle, so he should have one now. 

Nale has a Shardblade, when he tells Szeth he joined the order, he summons his sprenblade to demonstrate, though we normally see him wielding his Honorblade. 

I was under the impression that Szeth's nahel bond was irregular, in that it wasn't to a highspren, but to Nightblood itself. Because just like highspren, Nightblood is a splinter whose intent is closely aligned with the Skybreaker oaths. In which case, nightblood is his sprenblade.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I was under the impression that Szeth's nahel bond was irregular, in that it wasn't to a highspren, but to Nightblood itself. Because just like highspren, Nightblood is a splinter whose intent is closely aligned with the Skybreaker oaths. In which case, nightblood is his sprenblade.

Nah, he has a spren, it's mentioned briefly a couple of times. And most notably, right after he swears the third ideal. 

Quote

“Not yet. I swear to follow the will of Dalinar Kholin. This is my oath.” At the Words, snow crystallized around him in the air, then fluttered down. He felt a surge of something. Approval? From the hidden spren who only rarely showed itself to him, even still.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, robardin said:

Well Nightblood aside, if Szeth has sworn the Third Ideal of the Skybreakers to follow Dalinar, shouldn't he have access to an ordinary Sprenblade now? Or are the Skybreakers Shardless like the Bondsmiths? Nalan is of the Fifth Ideal and he's never exhibited Plate. And it's not clear if his Blade is the reclaimed Honorblade, or his Sprenblade, or is it?

He did swear it after the battle.

His Highspren's just scared that Nightblood's going to eat it, so it stays hidden.

Nale has both his Honorblade and his Sprenblade.  He probably doesn't use plate because he's been acting as a police officer, and it would draw too much attention, especially since he's never been in a situation that required plate.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:27 PM, Szmit said:

when he touches uninvested things he vaporizes only most immediate area as if red-hot knife through butter.

That's not true, though.  He vaporized the floor in a circle a few feet in diameter immediately upon being drawn.  Nothing like cutting through butter at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Patrick Star said:

That's not true, though.  He vaporized the floor in a circle a few feet in diameter immediately upon being drawn.  Nothing like cutting through butter at all.

Didn't pick up on this, thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.