Spoilers in the beginnings of books

Gray to

Question

So I've heard people talk about how the first chapter of either Hero of Ages or Way of Kings (can't remember which) foreshadowed the ending of the book. But I've reread the first chapter of both of those books and I can't find anything like that. Am I really oblivious or is that just not true?

10 answers to this question

It's the beginning of The Final Empire (emphasis added):

Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am.

The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.

What would they think if they knew that their champion—the Hero of Ages, their savior—doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn’t be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder—just as I do.

When they see me, do they see a liar?

@Pagerunner I've heard Brandon reference the first line was a hint as well.

Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am.

Makes sense on multiple levels.  Alendi was worried that he was not the hero of ages (good instinct).  Also seems to parallel the journey of multiple characters; like how Vin wasn't the hero either, and all Sazed's self doubt until the very last second when it clicked. 

1 hour ago, jefftucker0525 said:

I'm not gonna take the time to even try and find the WoB, but I remember seeing one a few years back saying that WoK does the same thing for SA. I'm sure it'll be relatively obvious what line/lines he meant when book 10 comes out lol. 

He said the ending is hidden somewhere in the first two books.

Its far less specific. 

14 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I think the WoK one could be referring to Kaladin's first chapter, where it is numerously mentioned that honour is dead. Of course, this turns out to be literal later

He said the ending to SA was hidden in there.  We know honour is dead, so I doubt it's that.  It's likely something similar though, with specific word choices hinting at what will happen.

18 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I think the WoK one could be referring to Kaladin's first chapter, where it is numerously mentioned that honour is dead. Of course, this turns out to be literal later

As mentioned, the ending of the entire series is hidden somewhere in WoK or WoR, so it's highly unlikely to be something we learned at the end of the very first book.

Adam S (paraphrased)

The ending of Mistborn was hidden in the first chapter epigraphs. Is there something similar to that in The Way of Kings?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is, but they are hidden in different places. The last chapter of The Stormlight Archive is somewhere in these two books.

source