Adonalsium Prehistory

Shallan's Ward

I have a theory that I have been working on for a short while now and I want to present it to the esteemed minds here. (BTW please forgive my somewhat circuitious manner of speech)

Thanks to the following wob I have surmises that it is theoretically possible to fix a splintered shard.

Chaos

Is Splintering a Shard permanent?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

source

I assume that it is also theoretically --though maybe not feasibly-- possible to heal Adonalsium and put it back together. I have been wondering if this shattering has happened before, or if Adonalsium could be put back together in the future. Though I seriously doubt that the vessels would permit it to be so. I don't think that we have enough information to come to anything more than a giant jumble of theories, I was wondering what you all thought about the possibility of this theory seeing as y'all know more than I do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The idea that Hoid might be trying to reassemble Adonalsium is a fairly common one and Brandon has said that it certainly looks like that's what's going on (which doesn't mean that it actually is what he's doing) but we also have some Words of Brandon that even if you could put all sixteen Shards back together with a single Vessel, what you ended up with would not necessarily be whatever Adonalsium was before the Shattering and certainly wouldn't be the original entity reborn.

Questioner

So, Hoid was there during the Shattering of Adonalsium. Odium is going around, like, destroying other Shards. We know that Hoid is collecting and has pieces of some of the other Shards.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Since Hoid was there at the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Is there an echo image of the original Adonalsium in Hoid?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, that's a RAFO. Here's your card. But it is a valid theory.

Questioner

I have a two-parter on that.

Brandon Sanderson

You can ask me the next part, but it is a RAFO.

Questioner

Is his end goal trying to join as many pieces of Adonalsium together to *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Um, that, I will give a "that's a very good guess." And that is what the books seem to indicate is happening.

source

Questioner

So if a Shard is Splintered can it be put back together, and if so; if all the Shards are put back together will Adonalsium come back? Or will someone else have to become Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

That is a big ol' RAFO!

Footnote: Brandon has previously stated that Shards can be put back together.
source

Questioner

Can it be restored? The Splinters...

Brandon Sanderson

Um, Splinters, can they be restored to... So it is, that is a yes, but restoring them will not restore Honor, the Vessel of Honor, right. They would restore Honor the Shard if this were to happen, but a new Vessel would have to take it.

Questioner

Ok so, [Adonalsium] can be put back together?

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium? It is theoretically possible to put a Shard back into, you know, to meld Shards together. The fact that we have already seen someone meld powers, in Sazed. So yes, but the question is who or what was Adonalsium, and is putting it back together going to do anything? Or...

source

Interesting idea about Adonalsium possibly having been split before but it doesn't fit with what we've been told of the big picture so far (especially pre-Shattering magic) and there's a WoB about how combined Shards would be almost impossible to split apart into anything other than the original ones, which taken with Brandon's statements that Adonalsium could have Shattered in other ways seems to indicate that it hasn't happened before, or else what we saw would likely be the only possible way that the power could have split.

CosmereQuestioner

Like Adonalsium, could Harmony split into 2 shards OTHER THAN Ruin/Preservation with the right intent.

You once stated that it is plausible that with a different intent Adonalsium could have shattered into a DIFFERENT 16 shards. You have also said that Harmony is one shard (or could be viewed this way.) My question: Could Harmony split/be split into 2 shards OTHER THAN Ruin/Preservation (yet still complementing/opposite) with the right intent of the splitter?  And if not is this because Harmony is still too invested in Scadrial as Ruin/Preservation?

Brandon Sanderson

Almost anything is possible... but it is very, very unlikely that Harmony would split except back to Ruin/Preservation.

source

Edited by Weltall

My theory is Uncle Andy needed to find out how to defeat his enemy (possibly fainlife), so he needed experience.... and allowed or created the events to play out in order to have himself shattered into a million (far greater a number) pieces with 16 large equal parts in order to get said experience.

All souls go to the beyond, where Uncle Andy's cognitive shadow is watching it all play out. Gaining experience as the souls come in. Waiting for the right time to come back. 

Hoid (and others) is his piece on the Cosmere table making sure everything works.

When the fainlife is destroyed 40 books from now peace only last a short while. For Uncle Pete from next door comes a fighting with his Cosmore lifeforms.

Mwahahahaha

Which starts another 50 book+ series.

Thanatos

8 hours ago, Thanatos said:

When the fainlife is destroyed 40 books from now peace only last a short while. For Uncle Pete from next door comes a fighting with his Cosmore lifeforms.

Mwahahahaha

Which starts another 50 book+ series.

So... Peter is actually the God Beyond and Brandon is merely the mouthpiece He uses to communicate with us? It all makes sense!

I personally think that this has happened before, and that at the end the combined power will travel to another area for the process to repeat, not the same individual as before but something new, with a new shattering, slowly spreading life across the different galaxies. Or the power will travel to another universe. The question though is would the shards remain, their magic systems remaining though the power moves on, as the power is across the whole of the universe, not just the cosmere, so enough of the shards combine and move on, while some parts remain, the power that was in the cosmere now channeled while the same amount as had arrived now moved elsewhere, changed and able to make a new type.

12 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I personally think that this has happened before, and that at the end the combined power will travel to another area for the process to repeat, not the same individual as before but something new, with a new shattering, slowly spreading life across the different galaxies. Or the power will travel to another universe. The question though is would the shards remain, their magic systems remaining though the power moves on, as the power is across the whole of the universe, not just the cosmere, so enough of the shards combine and move on, while some parts remain, the power that was in the cosmere now channeled while the same amount as had arrived now moved elsewhere, changed and able to make a new type.

I don't think he'll do that, because it's too similar to Wheel of Time. I mean, we'd all see that there are distinct and noticeable differences and that they'd not be the same. But casual readers and editors are going to be like, "Dude, you already wrote Wheel of Time, don't write it again."

29 minutes ago, Tateboy2k5 said:

Hi I’m relatively new so does this mean Adonalsium is still alive? I mean he is the real god, So he was never dead just broken? Thanks.

No, he was definitely killed.

imriel452 (Paraphrased)

I asked for "Info on why Adonalsium shattered".

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium Shattered because he was killed.

source

@Ixthos@RShara Not only has Brandon already 'done that' with Wheel of Time (for a given value, given that he was working within Jordan's universe) but even more to the point, that's exactly how the Reckoners works and by extension, its wider multiverse. Brandon's not going to repeat his own ending that blatantly.

3 hours ago, Tateboy2k5 said:

Hi I’m relatively new so does this mean Adonalsium is still alive? I mean he is the real god, So he was never dead just broken? Thanks.

Welcome to the Shard!

Like RShara said, Adonalsium is very definitely dead. People have asked Brandon what would happen if someone were to hold all sixteen Shards at once and he's variously said 'who knows if that's possible', that there are people in universe who believe it is possible and others who believe that it isn't and people shouldn't try, and even if someone did it the end result would not be the same as Adonalsium.

@RShara @Weltall I disagree with Brandon having done that with the Wheel of Time for a few reasons - I do agree it is similar, but I think it is sufficiently distinct, though the Wheel of Time might have changed things slightly

In the Wheel of Time the pattern is a cycle of conflict and development and then collapse all in one area, one world which cycles, the same land seeing similar events and having time stretching into both directions, as the Wheel assumes that there to be no set beginning. In the Cosmere it would be a progression, movement across very different areas and possibly very different shatterings, as each is developed in a unique way, and then moving to the next area, and it would have a start and a possible end. If this is considered the same as Wheel then one could also say Mistborn and Stormlight are the same. It is possible though, that because Brandon finished writing the Wheel of Time, the ideas he intended to use were shifted into another series so as to keep them more distinct, which might explain the Reckoners.

Edited by Ixthos

6 hours ago, Ixthos said:

@RShara @Weltall I disagree with Brandon having done that with the Wheel of Time for a few reasons - I do agree it is similar, but I think it is sufficiently distinct, though the Wheel of Time might have changed things slightly

In the Wheel of Time the pattern is a cycle of conflict and development and then collapse all in one area, one world which cycles, the same land seeing similar events and having time stretching into both directions, as the Wheel assumes that there to be no set beginning. In the Cosmere it would be a progression, movement across very different areas and possibly very different shatterings, as each is developed in a unique way, and then moving to the next area, and it would have a start and a possible end. If this is considered the same as Wheel then one could also say Mistborn and Stormlight are the same. It is possible though, that because Brandon finished writing the Wheel of Time, the ideas he intended to use were shifted into another series so as to keep them more distinct, which might explain the Reckoners.

As I said, we the obsessed fans, would see the clear difference between the two plots. But casual readers, and almost certainly editors, would very much get a WoT vibe off of it, and you know that critics will latch on to that and run with it. So I firmly think that Brandon will stay far away from anything that remotely resembles a cyclical event.

• Chaos locked this topic