[OB] Releaser Ideals

Okdes

So, this has been bugging me for a while, so I'm asking you wonderful 17th sharders for help.

What the hell are the ideals of the Dustbringers? I'm at a loss for any potential ideas.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Releaser Ideals

Maybe they view things similarly to Cultivation and believe that any change is a good change, even if that change may be destructive in nature. With so much end positive investiture on Roshar maybe they see it as their responsibility to act as the great equaliser in breaking down matter at a sustainable rate in order to preserve Roshar. This could be what went wrong on Ashyn as the dustbringers/releasers went over the top in their destruction, making their planet uninhabitable.

So maybe their ideals are something along the lines of 'I will bring order to chaos' as they break matter down into a simpler form.

That ideal makes sense, I like the Cultivation connection. Although, I'm not sure the Releasers could have broken a whole planet so thoroughly. Not that we've seen much of what they can do

The Orders as we know them did not exist on Ashyn. 

Shardbound [PENDING REVIEW]

Were the Surges used by humans, the ones that destroyed their previous home, the same as the ones that the Radiants are using.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, same basic principles. Magic system slightly different. Same basic principles.

source

They had a similar magic system, but the specifics were different. The Orders we know, and the Spren that cause them, were done in mimicry of the Honorblades, which did not start until after the desolations began. 

As to the Releasers, I think looking at their surges is the wrong route. Every orders surges have been associated with their Divine attributes. 

The Dustbringer attributes are "Brave" and "Obedient." so it will most likely deal with those, and not they associated destructive powers. 

That may be, but

Spoiler

Malata has sworn at least the third ideal to have her Spark-blade, but her oath allows her to actively work against the other knights. From her mannerisms and speech, (Calling everyone 'Frozen' and idiots) I feel like the Releasers oath is a bit more loose

Edited by Okdes

One if my favorite theorized Stoneward ideals is "I will stand where others fall."

For Releasers, maybe something similar? They seem to be "Courage and Obedience" which sounds almost Skybreaker-ish

15 minutes ago, Okdes said:

One if my favorite theorized Stoneward ideals is "I will stand where others fall." 

That's actually not a theory. That's straight from Brandon. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can you write an unknown Ideal [in my book]?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They are still rough so this might not be the exact wording but: "I will stand when others fall."

source

• Chaos locked this topic