Obtaining a readable copy of White Sand?

Rowroad

Hello guys.

So I have read all of Brandon's Cosmere related works. And know enough about the Cosmere to consider myself at least moderate at it. However there is one big piece I am missing out on. Taldain and White Sand.

This is because White sand is a graphic novel. I am blind, which makes me unable to read the novels.

I have tried to search for an audio version but of course there is nothing to be found. I have asked Graphic Audio if there are any plans of dramatizing the series, but they responded in the negative.

I am really desperate to read this. I can perfectly afford a copy of the novels, but the problem comes with reading it. Thoughts? I have found no choices and am stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if this looks out of place. I just thought to ask for help and see if you have any more avenues for me to try.

Regards.

P.S: I have no problems at all with reading text formats; in fact most of Brandon's book reads for me were text, not audio. I'm just stuck because graphic novels are completely unreadable for me.

Edited by Rowroad

There is a prose version, which you could get on this site by posting on the “get white sand prose” thread. Actually though, I’m not sure it still is there so you could just PM Chaos and he could get it for you. The downside of this is that technically the prose is not cannon, however however having read the prose and the graphic novel, there aren’t any major lore differences as far as I can tell so you will be able to understand the workings of the cosmere as much as if you read the graphic novel. There are some plot changes (a gender switch for one character) but not that many. The upside, however, is that most people, myself included find the prose way better than the graphic novel.

Hope this helps!

13 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Pagerunner So I am merely curious; Why is the 17th shard allowed to distribute Aether of the Night but not White Sand? 

I honestly don't know; this was before my time on staff. If I recall correctly, the White Sand newsletter link was set up first. And then I guess Team Dragonsteel was looking for diversity in the distribution method, so they asked the Shard admins. That's three different ways to get unpublished fiction, now (with all the stuff on the brandonsanderson.com Library page). Not counting the pilgrimage to Mecca for Dragonsteel.

Realistically, I think White Sand is given via newsletter just as a bonus for people to use the newsletter. Prior to this (and us distributing Aether), they'd email it out and it was a pretty big strain, and would take a long time for people to be served.

Maybe eventually we will distribute White Sand too! Who knows.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Valerie Jackson said:

I signed up for the newsletter, but don't have the prose version of White Sand. Does anyone know why?

Did you check your spam folder?  Also welcome to the shard.

Edited by Karger

On 6/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, Rowroad said:

I have tried to search for an audio version but of course there is nothing to be found. I have asked Graphic Audio if there are any plans of dramatizing the series, but they responded in the negative.

@Rowroad They actually have, though only somewhat recently.

https://www.graphicaudio.net/white-sand-series-set.html

Edited by King of Herdaz

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Valerie Jackson said:

Thanks for the welcome. And I did check, but it isn't there. Is it the same version that's in Arcanum Unbounded?

i had to use a different email to get it to work

only the first chapter or so is available in the Arcanum Unbounded. the whole novel is in the newsletter(38 chapters. 40 counting prologue and epilogue)

Edited by Eternal Khol

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

i had to use a different email to get it to work

only the first chapter or so is available in the Arcanum Unbounded. the whole novel is in the newsletter(38 chapters. 40 counting prologue and epilogue)

I did use a different email once, but I didn't get it for some reason, only the regular newsletters