Nohadon

48 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

I think the smoke, as well as the lack of light would affect your ability to see inside of the box. It is opaque, after all.

Oh ok, I'll change my post to be more realistic

18 minutes ago, Nohadon said:

Oh ok, I'll change my post to be more realistic

Thanks, I meaning more along the lines of when you said you 'top decked' some cards and 'pocketed' the two jokers. I didn't know if that would be possible without seeing, as well as identifying which cards were which.

Edited by I think I am here.

47 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Thanks, I meaning more along the lines of when you said you 'top decked' some cards and 'pocketed' the two jokers. I didn't know if that would be possible without seeing, as well as identifying which cards were which.

My apologies, the cards aren't just flat bases they all pop out a little (like a coin on one side, you can feel the faces, but it still stacks) and also the fact that Devaan is so familiar with his deck and sleight of hand that he is used to being able to blind trick shuffle, if you feel thats not right then I'll change it.

Also please react when you're ready

Rashan stepped back, proud that he'd trapped his opponent in a dark, suffocating, and not-easy-to-get-out-of box. He waited a few moments, almost in disbelief as he wondered if his opponent had really died. Well, for a brief few minutes there was definitely no commotion in the box.

1. Rashan stepped forward, curious. 
  2. The crowd held their breath, anxious.
  3. The commenter came to a rambling stop.
  4. Spotlights turned in their places, angling their shining light at the box.
  5. Nothing happened.

Huh, Rashan thought. I've really killed hi-

1. Something happened.
  2. Spotlights turned in their places, each light shining at the opponent.
  3. The commentator resumed his second-by-second breakdown.
  4. The crowd roared, energised.
  5. And Rashan took a step back, eyes wide and full of amazement. Or was that terror? Rashan couldn't tell.

Right in front of him, draped in a magnificent cloak, stood his opponent, grinning, seemingly unharmed.

He had literally reappeared in a puff of smoke.

Great, Rashan mentally grumbled as his opponent strided forward, eyes gleaming and mouth twisted into a grin. You can always count on an opponent to mess up your attacks.

My turn!”

His opponent drew two more cards, each glowing with a different symbol and colour.
Fortunately, whatever effect the cards were giving, they didn’t seem to help with combat, for instead of flying around the arena like a bird or zooming around it like a steelrunner, his opponent simply walked, aiming a punch towards Rashan’s face. He could use that.

Rashan stepped back, feeelin for one of his three emergency steelminds. Though it wasn’t Invested as much as his primary steelmind, it still held a wealth of speed.

Rashan supertapped that wealth, all his weeks of saving tapped in a second.

Rashan charged, feeling the power inside of him. As his opponent swung their punch, Rashan ducked, plucking one of the glowing metallic cards free from his opponent’s hand, sliding across the arena, first emergency metalmind tapped dry.

Rashan looked at the card. Oddly, he almost felt an affinity to it, like a steelmind. Curious, Rashan ‘tapped’ the card, wondering what effects awaited him.

Sorry this took a while.

@I think I am here. I was tempted to have you break the sound barrier there, but that would have presented some issues. But you packed a lot of speed into that move. A needless amount in my opinion. So to avoid my having to figure out the effects of a man moving at the speed of sound, I'm going to engage my mediator powers! You've got more than one emergency metalmind, right? I'm going to rule that the one you just used wasn't as big as you implied. It was still reasonably large, but not 'break the sound barrier' large. Your other metalmind now has the stored speed that you just tried to use but I took away, that way your net investiture is still the same. So if you had 10 units of speed in both originally, and 10 is the amount needed to break the sound barrier, I am making it so that the one you just used only had 7 units. Your other one has 13. 

You were still easily able to steal the card and flee. 

Devaan: 81

Rashan: 87

Edited by Archer

Devaan knew the wouldn't work, as he saw an electrum shadow ahead of him looked suprised, deducing that he must have stolen a card. He tapped all of both cards and stored the energies in nicrocilminds around the body before he stole it, it would be pretty much useless, only having a few dregs of the investiture left. Devaan drew his sword, he just had to wait out it his opponents feruchemical stores so he  could end the fight. It wouldn't take too much longer. Devaan drew another three cards, Feruchemical steel, allomatic steel and feruchemical chromium, he tapped them and watched his electrum shadow go head on to wipe out the steelminds, and reasoned it would work, if he did it suddenly with enough speed, so he dropped a coin down, and pretended to push on it upwards, and then instead supertapped the entire steelmind, in unison with steelminds around his body to run over and leech away his opponents metalminds

Rashan tapped the card, feeling it’s power. Immediaty, however, the power seemed to dissipate, only a smidgen of it left inside the card. Storms, he thought as is opponent dropped a coin on the sandy arena floor for some reason, eyes examining Rashan, seeming to see something he could not.

Suddenly, his opponent darted at him, air and sand coming together to form a large dust cloud where he took off. Somehing about that postition, though. Hands. Outstretched, ready to grab Rashan, not in any specific combat stance.

It dawned on Rashan. Leeching. Rashan’s own power used against him.

Instinct overcame Rashan, and in the split second of his opponent skidding towards him, Rashan stored all his power into the unsealed nicrosil mind in his hand, leaving none in his metalminds.

His opponent stopped in front of Rashan and grabbed him by his arms, leeching him through his metalminds and his skin. But there was nothing left to leech. Well, there was something.

Rashan looked towards hks left palm, the place the opponent’s dreaded sword had cut. Though the physical wound has long since healed due to his stormlight, the cognitive and spiritual wound had remained, only healing slightly.

But now, Rashan felt the negative Investiture discharge from his body. He smiled at his opponent. They would still think they had leeched Rashan’s reserves, but in reality, Rashan’s reserves were tucked snugly in the nicrosil mind in his right hand, and all his opponent has really done was leech Rashan of his spiritual sword wound.

His opponent let go. Feeling the negative energy completely leave the body, Rashan retapped the nicrosilmind, and feeling the power rush into him, Rashan laid his hands on all 4 of his opponents cards and leeched, taking away their power before attempting a punch to the face.

Ha, jokes on you. Rashan wasn’t distracted by the coin because he doesn’t know what a coinshot is. :P

Wait, your character knows what unsealed metal minds and medallion tech is but not what a coinshot is? alright.

Devaan smiled, all according to plan, he knew he was about to get punched in the face, so he tapped as much speed as he could, moved with the punch to throw him off balance, then drew sethramir and stabbed him in the stomach.

Edited by Nohadon

Just now, I think I am here. said:

Woah, woah woah. Sethramir's at the bottom of the cognitive ocean, where it was left. From what your saying, though it has magical properties, it's still a sword, albeit awakened. Not a Shardblade or anything else you can just summon, and I don't see how an awakened sword can travel realms.

OH my mistake, I assumed I still had it. my bad. I have a way to retrieve it, but if you would rather I not use it for the rest of the duel, tell me, and we'll ignore the post.

1 hour ago, Nohadon said:

OH my mistake, I assumed I still had it. my bad. I have a way to retrieve it, but if you would rather I not use it for the rest of the duel, tell me, and we'll ignore the post.

No problem. I would rather see you use more tricks with your cards than resorting to your doom sword, but it's your choice overall. I won't overreact even if you do bring it back. Also, Rashan leeched the cards you were using before his punch. So no more zinc and steel Feruchemy, steel Allomancy or electrum Allomancy to dodge it, or for the rest of the duel (unless you have duplicates)

On 7/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, I think I am here. said:

No problem. I would rather see you use more tricks with your cards than resorting to your doom sword, but it's your choice overall. I won't overreact even if you do bring it back. Also, Rashan leeched the cards you were using before his punch. So no more zinc and steel Feruchemy, steel Allomancy or electrum Allomancy to dodge it, or for the rest of the duel (unless you have duplicates)

Let's ignore that post then

Rashan punched Devaan in the face, sending him to the ground. The guy could hit hard, He'd give him that. 

Devaan grimaced as he realised that sethramir wasn't in his hilt. How long had that been gone?

Devaan grabbed rashan by one of the emergency bands he spotted earlier, then supertapped pewter and brass, pewter keep his grip solid, and brass to raise the temperatures of his hand to enough to melt the steel bands, burning both Devaan and Rashan in the process.

Wincing through the pain, Devaan lightly tapped gold, conserving it until after his Brass ran out so he could heal from it. Devaan's clothes began to catch fire, he didn't care. His deck's were stored in fireproof pockets for this specific reason. He smiled as Rashan's clothes also set alight, and then began to really start tapping his gold, weeks spent bed-ridden leading up to something like this, something that would essentially garuntee an end to the fight.

Devaan began to lose consciousness and had to tap bronze to keep himself awake.

This is it

This should be the end of the duel

Rashan knocked his opponent down with a left hook. Funny, that. Despite the whole battle, he still didn't know his enemy's name. Perhaps it was better that way, taking away the humanity from who you were fighting. Perhaps it wasn't.

His opponent lunged, taking Rashan by one arm. Hey, that arm was where his second emergency steelmind was! As Rashan tried frantically to free himself of the grip, he realised his opponent was as steady as a statue, not moving despite Tashans attempts to escape his grip.

As his enemy's grip grew tighter, it also grew warmer, starting lukewarm, than increasing exponentially, beginning to melt Rashan's steelmind. Grunting, Rashan decided to try another way to get out of his opponents grip. If his enemy succeeded in fully melting Rashan's steelmind, the Investiture inside of it would be hard to access, so Rashan might as well use it now. In one go, Rashan emptied his second emergency steelmind, supertapping it into a barrage of punches that seemed to crack through the air, leaving vacuum behind them.

He'd supertapped before, but usually just on his whole body. Now, however, Rashan focused his speed exclusively on his circled fists as they whipped through the air, transferring immense power to his opponent in those few seconds. His enemy had to stay close to melt his steelmind, and Rashan used that, hitting both the chest and the head with his hyperaccelerated fists.

Eventually, the steelmind fully melted, it's liquid contents flowing off Rashan's arm onto the floor. It burned like damnation.

"AAAHHHGGHHH!" Rashan yelled, much too the surprise of the audience. Molten metal was hot. They must have expected him to be one of those stoic heroes who didn't feel pain. Not Rashan. Rashan felt every. Last. Bit. His opponent seemed hurt too by the burning, though not as much. Moments later, both his and his opponents clothing also started burning.

But while his opponent didn't seem to care about the fire, Rashan quickly layed on the ground and tapped steel, rolling through the sandy arena relatively quickly and extinguishing the fire before it could hurt nearly as much as the melted metal. Oh well. Rashan had one more emergency steelmind in addition too his primary one, hidden where none would know.

As he stood up from the ground, covered in sand but not on fire, he noticed his opponent swaying, almost falling unconscious but trying not too. They appeared very distracted, to which Rashan used to his advantage. Tapping a very large portion of his last emergency steelmind, Rashan hurled himself at his opponent, taking out his sword, ready to strike. He wasn't supertapping, but he was going pretty storming fast.

This is it, he thought.

This should be the end of the duel.

Devaan was on fire.

Is this it? Is this how I die?

All Devaan could feel was the flames that were surrounding him, engulfing him, becoming him.

And then time slowed, the pain vanished, and everything became clear. He saw the fire, he saw his opponent, a blur running towards him. He saw the thousands of spectators. 

He saw his life flash before his eyes. He saw things he had long forgotten.

He saw secrets

He saw his brother.

He saw his death.

But he didn't see himself dying in this arena. He instead saw that there was a way out. A way to win this duel. A way to survive.

He still had his jokers.

He tapped the first joker immediately, causing his body to explode with stormlight. There was no tempest, no storm raging inside him. With this much stormlight packed into one card, he was the storm. He allowed the stormlight to heal him as much as he could, and began storing brass, cooling his body, while the fire raged around him.

Now time for the second joker.

His opponent was blurring towards him, and the ancient powers of all 16 metals burned inside him simultaneously, at the normal rate of a mistborn, but that wasn't enough

more

He was now flaring

more

He doubled that, twice as strong as any mistborn dared to be

even more

all of it

Mist began to emit from his body as he tapped the joker dry, having the powers of all 16 metals supertapped beyond belief, in the split second of power, he sent waves of exhaustion over to his opponent, and braced himself for the impact, ramming into his opponent who was blurring towards him, he pulled his opponent further forward, and just before he collided with his enemy

The joker ran out.

Rashan flew into him at top speed, and all Devaan could do to stay intact was to tap all of his gold, pewter and iron at the same time before impact, he was thrown across the arena floor, bleeding and bruised, he just had to hope that his opponent was damaged even more.

If that was too much just let me know

Edited by Nohadon

Nice move.

It should be noted Rashan's holding his sword in front of him, so letting him hit you would be letting yourself get stabbed.

Nice using of the 'life flashing before my eyes' thing.

I can't be sure, but I think I read in BoM more than three powers in a nicrosil und interfered with each other and that 4 was near impossible. Nor sure about all 16.

From the gold, and the stormlight, you seem to be healing quite a lot, though that's before Rashan collides. I wonder how much that'll be when Archer gets around to mediating this.

All in all, I don't think it was too much, but all 16 metals in a nicrosil mind seems to contradict some stuff. Overall, good move.

Finally, I think I'm probably going to not post anything until @Archer says some stuff.

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

I can't be sure, but I think I read in BoM more than three powers in a nicrosil und interfered with each other and that 4 was near impossible. Nor sure about all 16.

I considered that, but I'm 90% sure that there is a way around it, as 

Spoiler

Kelsier did it in BoM

So I thought it would be fine

I'm working on it. When I've got it together (it'll take me 20 minutes or so) I'll edit this post to include it. This one's taking a lot more research than the others. But while you're here, I should warn you that I'm going to assume you didn't choose to do all 16 - as Itiah pointed out, aluminum would be counterproductive. I personally would have done even less (some counter each other, it would make more sense to only do 10 or so, but that's your call)

@Nohadon As promised, here's the update (sorry it took a little longer than I expected):

Attack One: Punch

‘Rashan punched Devaan in the face, sending him to the ground. The guy could hit hard’.

A punch that knocks you down must be pretty strong, or he got lucky and caught you off balance.

Devaan: -7

Attack 2: Heat

‘…raise the temperatures of his hand to enough to melt the steel bands, burning both Devaan and Rashan in the process’.

The following may be considered gross: Google says that steel often melts at around 1370 degrees Celsius, and that the normal core body temperature of an adult human being is stated to be 37.0 degrees Celsius. At 70 degrees you get a third degree burn in one second. For cremation, a body is burned at 1000 degrees Celsius for 2 hours. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any good numbers for how fast a body burns, but I’m going to assume it’s pretty quick at 1370 degrees Celsius. As such, I’m maxing out the damage on both of you. Your arms are severely burned, likely catching on fire, boiling your blood, that sort of thing.

Devaan: -33 (but gets +3 for light gold tapping)

Rashan: - 33

Attack 2, part 2:

‘Devaan's clothes began to catch fire… He smiled as Rashan's clothes also set alight’

Heat is dangerous, but so is smoke. A quick google tells me that 15 minutes of straight smoke (0% oxygen) would kill you, 5-10 minutes would cause permanent brain damage in humans. Just like humans, pets usually have less than 20 minutes depending upon the location of the house fire and how hot and fast it is burning.

Luckily, you are outdoors, so the smoke dissipates. However, you are very close to it, so -2 to both of you.

Healing:

‘and then began to really start tapping his gold, weeks spent bed-ridden leading up to something like this’ BUT Devaan began to lose consciousness and had to tap bronze to keep himself awake.

It looks like he tried to heal himself, but was unable to completely, as seen by the drowsiness. I’ll put it at +25 (completely uses up your gold reserves)

Attack 3:

In one go, Rashan emptied his second emergency steelmind, supertapping it into a barrage of punches that seemed to crack through the air, leaving vacuum behind them…Rashan focused his speed exclusively on his circled fists as they whipped through the air, transferring immense power to his opponent in those few seconds.

Rahsan is hitting Devaan with an arm that is literally on fire, so that’s going to hurt him as well. In fact, ‘the steelmind fully melted, it's liquid contents flowing off Rashan's arm onto the floor. It burned like damnation.’ Molten metal is no joke, but there’s not much more damage that can be done to that arm so the damage is only – 4. (Note: the reserve metalmind is probably close to melting too due to its proximity to the heat, but it won’t be fully melted, just hot to the touch and maybe a little squishy. You’ve both got metal on you that would heat up and burn you, so – 2 each.)

Super fast punches at close range deal - 10 (it would be more, but his arms are injured)

Healing:

‘He allowed the stormlight to heal him as much as he could, and began storing brass, cooling his body, while the fire raged around him.’

An explosion of stormlight is a lot. I’ll give you +26.

Attack 4: Sword Strike

A split second of Lord Ruler level emotional alomancy is formidable, but Devaan is fighting Rashan’s momentum here, so the attack goes as planned:

Tapping a very large portion of his last emergency steelmind, Rashan hurled himself at his opponent, taking out his sword, ready to strike. He wasn't supertapping, but he was going pretty storming fast.’

‘It should be noted Rashan's holding his sword in front of him, so letting him hit you would be letting yourself get stabbed.’

‘Rashan flew into him at top speed, and all Devaan could do to stay intact was to tap all of his gold, pewter and iron at the same time before impact, he was thrown across the arena floor, bleeding and bruised, he just had to hope that his opponent was damaged even more.’

Super tapping everything (I’m assuming you didn’t use aluminum, so it’s just the 15) means you:

pull and push on nearby metal = cancel each other out

increase your senses = a Tineye’s weakness is loud noises. The amount of pain he’s about to feel is amplified by the tin

increased physical abilities = better landing

rioting and soothing = ineffective against your opponent because of the short amount of time you have to use it and their momentum sends them crashing into you anyway

hide allomantic powers and hear allomantic pushes = useless in this context

slow and speed up time = cancel each other out

reveal your past = more confusing than anything

reveal your future = may let you plan for your landing better

allomantic burn enhancement = less than useful without a target

enhance your allomantic powers = better use of pewter

In summary, while using up all your allomantic powers may have looked cool, it wasn’t very effective. I’m going to rule that from your pewter and flailing around with steel and iron and all that, you managed to pull off a decent landing. Somehow you managed to push on some metal that acted as shrapnel and hurt Rashan a little (-2), but the damage was done. The sword wound does -12 because it was sharp and at super high speed, like being hit by a bullet. The extra weight and strength helped though, bringing down the damage from what it would have been.

The updated health scores:

Devaan: 69

Rashan: 44

Edited by Archer

Just now, Archer said:

I'm working on it. When I've got it together (it'll take me 20 minutes or so) I'll edit this post to include it. This one's taking a lot more research than the others. But while you're here, I should warn you that I'm going to assume you didn't choose to do all 16 - as Itiah pointed out, aluminum would be counterproductive. I personally would have done even less (some counter each other, it would make more sense to only do 10 or so, but that's your call)

Yeah I went a little too overboard there, I was making that post from a narrative standpoint rather than an in-character standpoint :) 

Thanks, Archer :) 

Rashan charged.

It was all over in a second, even to Rashan. Steel made you fast, but it didn't make your reflexes fast too. So Rashan had no way of preparing what he saw next.

• His opponent, suddenly exploding in stormlight.
  • Mist, emanating from them, swirling around.
  • A wave of emotions, like a wall, trying to stop him but unable to.
  • A sharp pull on Rashan, towards his enemy.

His enemy looked much better, the looked refreshed, healed, in peace. Perhaps they thought they could survive this, Rashan thought. Perhaps they had another trick to deal with him, another magic, another hex, another spectre. Who knew, maybe they would magically disappear and let Rashan crash into the wall. But his enemy didn't do any of that. They didn't magically disappear, they didn't cast a spell or curse on Rashan. No. Now that Rashan was closer, he could see something else in his opponent's face. His enemy didn't look assured more than they looked resigned, welcoming death, eyes closed. Challenging it.

Rashan hit top speed as he collided with his opponent.

His sword hit first, as it was being held in front of him when he ran, it's straight aluminium encased blade stabbing easily right through his opponent, like a skewer to the chest. His body hit second, the full force of his blow beginning to show. And his momentum hit third, launching both assailants to the far corners of the arena in a hit so hard it could be heard outside the arena, even amongst the angst chatter. Rashan wasn't flung as much as his enemy, who has been transferred most of the kinetic energy, but he still hurt deeply, clutching the arm that'd been burnt of his. Where was his sword?

Scouting the arena, Rashan managed to see someone in the distance. A body. His opponent. Though laying down, they were still alive, Rashan's sword still completely piercing their body. Zipping through the air at a slight limp, Rashan arrived at the site. Placing his foot on the pommel of the pierced blade, Rashan pressed down, further hurting his opponent and pinning them to the sandy ground vis the sword. Then, Rashan twisted the sword inside of his enemy, hoping he would finally get the killing blow now.

Rashan is experienced at speeding up and down, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he knows how to avoid whiplash when suddenly slowing down. However, he slammed his body into the hilt of a sword and was flung back. The damage he caused to himself was lessened by his preparation for the hit (he knew he was going to slam into Devaan so I'm guessing he'd position himself accordingly to limit the damage). - 2

And I'd like to point out that the fire on Devaan is out after his tumble, in case there was any confusion about that. There will be no more damage due to smoke or burning (unless someone starts another fire :ph34r:).

Devaan: 69

Rashan: 42

Edited by Archer

Devaan was lying on the ground, his opponent standing over him, as he twisted his sword, pain racked his body, but he had to fight through it, had to keep going. His opponent had to be out of speed by now, right?

He tapped electrum.

Adrenaline surged in his body and the pain disappeared, all he could feel was a surge of determination as he stood up, careful to manoeuvre the sword so it didn't pierce any more vital organs, and grabbed Rashan, a look of surprise washing over his opponent's face. He had every right to be surprised, he should have blacked out from the pain he should be feeling, but with the adrenaline surging inside, he grabbed Rashan by the neck and began suffocating with his right hand.

The same hand Aon Sheo still softly glowed on, not used, but ready to fire off.

Red light began to shine from his right hand, as Rashan is hit with a point-blank energy emitting from the death aon. Rashan started to decay, little by little, at the same time, Devaan drew a single steel card from his fireproof pouch, and attempted to stab Rashan in the stomach.

Rashan twisted the sword inside of his enemy, watching them writhe in pain. He felt bad he had to do this, but it was the only way to finish the fight. His opponent had a gaping hole in their body.

The enemy stood.

What? That was impossible! The hole in his opponent remained, so there was no healing taking place. His opponent should have been down! Rashan stared in disbelief just before his opponent stood and grabbed Rashan's neck in a swift motion, eyes alight with hate. It was a one handed grab, and his enemy was still on fire, so it was weakened, but not so much so that it didn't hurt. Strangulation sucked.

But that wasn't the worst. As Rashan fumbled to get the hand off of him, he noticed it glowing with a sickening red light, the colour of blood. Rashan didn't need to know what magic it was to deduce it probably won't as the the nicest attack, and just as Rashan ripped the hand off of his arm the redness fired, hitting Rashan point-black. He was too late. While he had defending himself against his opponent's hand, he had still been hit by its magic.

Slowly, Rashan felt something tingle. His fingers. He looked down to see that at the tips, they were flaking, small parts of him ripping off and flying into the wind. It was a slow process, but Rashan felt it on the tip of his ears as well, and down his legs and arms. It wasn't painful, but it was killing Rashan, flaking him soon to nothing.

"What did you do?" He asked his opponent demanding answers. His opponent said nothing.

"What did you do?!" He repeated, still flaking off. No answer.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Rashan roared at his opponent, who said nothing, taking a step back before lunging at Rashan. Rahsan only had a split second to see something glinting in the sunlight, something shiny. Something sharp.

Rashan ducked, tapping steel, feeling the dagger cut off the top most part of his hair. Barely thinking, Rashan, still tapping steel, rolled underneath his opponent, weaving through their legs and came up behind them, before grabbing hold of the sword that pierced their backside by the sides, and pulling it, ripping it out of his opponent, who now had an empty hole where the sword had once been.