Question about marriages

Preface: I only just started reading book three, Knights of Crystallia. If my questions are answered further down the line, please just say RAFO. If they're not, please say so.

We know that if someone marries a Smedry, they got their spouse's Talent. Like for example Shasta got Attica's Talent.

But what if two Smedries marry? Do they get each own's Talents in addition to the ones they were born with?

And what about polygamy? For example, if there would be two Smedries and a non-Smedry in the marriage, would the non-Smedry get both? One of them? Some combination of them?

(I blame Quirk mechanisms from My Hero Academia for instilling these questions in my mind)

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

We don't get answers to any of those questions. We don't even get to know if a divorce takes the Talent away.

We do actually know the thing you specifically say we don't.

I don't remember where it is discussed exactly so I'll put it under a spoiler for OP.

Spoiler

Kaz and Alcatraz are discussing his parents and how they never got divorced. He (Kaz) says Attica disappeared before asking for one and while Shasta could have asked for one she has no reason to do so since she would lose her Talent.

Edited by Juanaton

7 minutes ago, Juanaton said:

We do actually know the thing you specifically say we don't.

I don't remember where it is discussed exactly so I'll put it under a spoiler for OP.

Hide contents

Kaz and Alcatraz are discussing his parents and how they never got divorced. He (Kaz) says Attica disappeared before asking for one and while Shasta could have asked for one she has no reason to do so since she would lose her Talent.

Thanks, I didn't remember that was mentioned :) Do you know anything about what Oversleep asks about?

Nope. Can't answer his questions definitively...though based on the way the Talents seem to work, if Smedry's from two branches married each other (for example, if Alcatraz and Australia were to marry) they would probably start each having both Talents...or some weird combination of the two if they work the same way as Investiture based magics.

Okay, what would happen if Shasta had a child with someone else? Would they be considered Smedry? I mean, it isn't blood, but they were a child of someone considered Smedry..... so many complicated mechanics could come from this..... headache....:(

• 2 years later...