[OB] Hoid stuck on Roshar?

jefftucker0525

Ok so we know Hoid bonded a cryptic at the end of OB, and we know it's hard to get a spren/shardblade off planet, though if anyone could it would be Hoid. But is he effectively stuck on Roshar until he can figure out how to get his spren off world? And how hard will it actually be? Like does he need to have shardblade status first or what? 

Well we know that a spren can be separated from it's radiant until the radiant has sworn their final ideal. The lightweaver ideals are actually truths and require a high degree of self awareness to progress. Hoid tells his cryptic that he's got plenty of truths to tell and given that he has been around for thousands of years he is likely the most self aware character we have seen so he will probably rapidly accelerate to the final ideal. I posit that a fifth ideal radiant would be able to take their spren off world as the nahel bond has grown so strong that they are inseparable.

1 hour ago, jefftucker0525 said:

But is he effectively stuck on Roshar until he can figure out how to get his spren off world?

We're assuming he forms a Nahel Bond since that's certainly what he looks like he's doing. But yes, making that reasonable assumption Hoid would be bound to the system until either the bond is broken or he figures out how to get the spren offworld. Given that Hoid clearly knows way more about the underpinnings of the Cosmere than we do, he probably knows exactly what he needs to do, if he intends to do it. We know he leaves Roshar for Scadrial during the events of Mistborn Era 2, so by then he's either gotten his spren offworld or he's no longer bonded to it.

@The Harlem Worldhoppers I'm not sure it's that easy because all Splinters are fundamentally connected to the Physical/Cognitive 'zone' where they originate and all of them are noted to have trouble leaving. This includes the Returned who are fundamentally bonded to the Divine Breath that's tied down to Nalthis to the point that they'll die (again) if it's removed. Brandon has explicitly pointed out Vasher as an example of someone who's learned the trick to get around this issue but the fact that he needs to do whatever it is at all indicates that a Radiant and their spren shoud also have to do this trick. And Brandon has said that it's hard for a Radiant to get offworld, not just 'a Radiant who hasn't sworn all their Ideals' so I doubt that he intends the trick to be that easy.

1 hour ago, jefftucker0525 said:

damnation, I didn't take timelines into account lol. And there's no way in hell he didn't bond that spren. Just saying. 

There is actually. The bond is the sprens choice, not Hoid's. It could have gone with him to be safe, and not found him suitable. 

What we've seen from Pattern makes me think that any Cryptic would find Hoid far too interesting not to bond... But ultimately it's the sprens choice, not his. 

32 minutes ago, Calderis said:

There is actually. The bond is the sprens choice, not Hoid's. It could have gone with him to be safe, and not found him suitable. 

What we've seen from Pattern makes me think that any Cryptic would find Hoid far too interesting not to bond... But ultimately it's the sprens choice, not his. 

So many fascinating lies!

Yeah. When Brandon has been asked about taking spren off of Roshar, he has said it's incredibly difficult but it's possible. I'm guessing if anybody's gonna figure that out, it's gonna be Hoid. We know that Roshar is incredibly easy to get on and off of normally because of the presence of the shards, but it'll still be really hard. I don't think Hoid really intends to leave Roshar for awhile yet though. Roshar be poppin'. It's the place to be in the cosmere. I think he's probably going to be there until the entire Stormlight sequence is resolved. By that time I bet he'll have figured it out.

38 minutes ago, KalaDANG said:

I think he's probably going to be there until the entire Stormlight sequence is resolved. By that time I bet he'll have figured it out.

Well, the entire first half at least. We know he leaves at some point before the series ends because he's been hanging around Scadrial during the events of Mistborn Era 2 which happens between the halves of Stormlight Archive.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic