Lexington, KY Signing

gpmushu

Hello all,

I participated in the Lexington, KY signing last night and I did not see a thread for it, so I figured I would go ahead and post one. 

I was able to record the general Q&A as well as the reading (which I believe is from Silence Divine, the one about people with diseases getting magic) on my phone, but it will be a while before I can get them off my phone and post them. 

I did not end up recording anything asked in the signing line, but I did ask a few questions that I'll go ahead and post his answers to.  Unfortunately, they're not word for word. 

Q: Do darkeyes feel the Thrill? 

A: Yes, they do.  

(I had a theory that only lighteyes felt it based on the scene where Kaladin talks about his old spear master and it being okay to feel along with the fact that we've never seen a darkeyes that felt it, but that was solidly debunked)

Q: Do highstorms get weaker as they move west because of normal meteorological reasons the same way a hurricane gets weaker over land or is it because they slowly drain investiture as they infuse spheres over the whole continent?

A: Both.  He said that anything like that will be affected by both normal science as well as the magic, but then he added that the highstorms are a natural occurring phenomenon that were on the planet before stuff started going down. I didn't get this confirmed, but I think he meant the stormlight part of the storm was added later, I'm assuming by a Shard. 

(As far as I know, this is new information.  I had no idea that the highstorms existed beforehand and just assumed they were created by Honor.)

Q: Has the Thrill existed longer than the Death Rattles or have they both been occurring for about the same period of time?

A:  The Thrill and the Death Rattles started around the same time, but the locations for the two fluctuate and have been since they appeared. 

(This is just a way of confirming that the Unmade have been active for about the same amount of time.  Both started around the time Gavilar started to explore the Shattered Plains according to Taravangian.)

I also got one of the Szeth cards for wearing my Asha'man hoodie with the Sword and Dragon pins and it's pretty cool.  Looks like the stats on the back are for a cosmere centric game that Brandon has planned.  (P:2 C:1 S:2 definitely seems like Physical, Cognitive and Spiritual Stats and it mentions Investiture)  It would be nice if someone could ask Brandon about them at another signing.

Anyway, that's all the information I have for now.  I'll try to get the videos from my phone posted tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it. 

Thanks for posting these!

Very interesting about the Thrill; from the text, I had assumed that the Thrill was a well known and deeply embedded cultural thing for the Alethi. That does not seem likely if it has only been around for 10-15 years or so. In fact, now that I think about it, don't we hear Dalinar talk about almost killing Gavilar when in the grips of the thrill when they were courting Navani? We know that happened long before the Parshendi expedition. Plus, I suspect that the whole "predicting the future is of the Voidbringers" thing is associated with the death rattles in some way. I think both of these phenomena have been around for much longer than you mentioned.

I asked Brandon if the powder Shallan saw Hoid pour in his drink was an alumantic metal, he replied that he hadn't confirmed that, but it was a clever question. he then signed my book with "These words are accepted". Maybe reading to much into it, but... 

I wish I had asked if honor blades could be stolen, that would have provided some insight into what happened with Dalinar's blade.

I originally posted these on http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6605-words-of-brandon-compiled/page-7.

These are from the Lexington signing at Joseph Beth, 3/18/2014. Some of these may be repeats

Q: Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

A: They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Q: So, is shardplate created as a result of a spren bond?

A: RAFO.

Q: (Brandon mentioned changing Kaladin's plot so that he chose the "hard" path) What was the hard path?

A: Kaladin initially accepted the shardblade and plate in the first book, and the rest of the book was about him fighting with them. Really boring.

Q: Are highstorms a meteorological or magical phenomenon?

A: Both. 

Q: Did the mistress from the interlude in book 1 destroy the Shalash statue on the night of Gavilar's death?

A: Yes, and also all the other ones that we've seen, including the one in Shallan's vision in Words of Radiance.

Q: Is the mistress Shalash?

A: RAFO.

Q: How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

A: There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin. 

Not completely sure on this one: He said that at one point Shallan may have said all the oaths for her order (or may have been capable of saying all of the oaths by the end of the book) but has since regressed due to "memory loss/repression."  

Regarding Dalinar: He said that Dalinar has had a bond with the Stormfather "for a while." He also only said one oath at the top of the Urithiru tower, not two. Dalinar conveyed a single idea in that particular oath.

Brandon also clarified that the oaths, with the exception of the first ideal, are not restricted to specific words. Rather, a specific idea must be conveyed for the oath to be accepted. 

The self-proclaimed Thrill-Meister approves of your questions, gpmushu.  He RAFO'd me last year on the darkeyes question, so much thanks.  I agree with paperclip that these things have been around longer.  Taravangian indicated that if Moelach moves than the rattles move with him.  I think much the same is the case for the Thrill.  I think however, that the unmade associated with the Thriill has been in Alethkar for a long time and Moelach only moved to the East about 7 years previously.

Edited by Shardlet

Q: Did the mistress from the interlude in book 1 destroy the Shalash statue on the night of Gavilar's death?

A: Yes, and also all the other ones that we've seen, including the one in Shallan's vision in Words of Radiance.

Q: How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

A: There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan was a step higher than Kaladin. 

Not completely sure on this one: He said that at one point Shallan may have said all the oaths for her order (or may have been capable of saying all of the oaths by the end of the book) but has since regressed due to "memory loss/repression."  

Regarding Dalinar: He said that Dalinar has had a bond with the Stormfather "for a while." He also only said one oath at the top of the Urithiru tower, not two. Dalinar conveyed a single idea in that particular oath.

I took almost a week off from the site while reading WoR and have been trying to catch up on most of the posts (which has been a lot of work; wow are we prolific on this site), so I'm still unsure whether this was the first time that the quoted answers have been posted here, but if so, this is pretty good info!

Confirmation that Baxil's mistress was the lady from Shallan's vision in WoR?! This answers any speculation that it might have been Jasnah or symbolize her.

Also, confirmation that at one time Shallan had said one more ideal than Kaladin had; and that Dalinar had stated only the one oath to the Stormfather (and that they had indeed been "bonded" for awhile)?

Very nice!  Upvote to you, tganchero!