[OB] Did Hoid do what I thought he did?

Invocation

Question

Well, he offered to bond it. I suppose whether that actually happened is up to the Spren. 

And he was already a Lightweaver, just not of that variety. He had a variation Lightweaving from Yolen already... But we've seen him use Allomancy before, and if a bond did happen, he can now soulcast metals... 

Just now, Calderis said:

Well, he offered to bond it. I suppose whether that actually happened is up to the Spren. 

And he was already a Lightweaver, just not of that variety. He had a variation Lightweaving from Yolen already... But we've seen him use Allomancy before, and if a bond did happen, he can now soulcast metals... 

How is he able to do all of this? How obliterated must his spirit web or whatever it's called be?

No clue. Hoid is unique. Hes not mortal any longer. He can heal from pretty much anything that isn't a Shard or Nightblood that we know of and he's older than pretty much everyone other than Frost. 

How any of this happened, or why he can't hurt others is something we just don't know, and probably won't until Dragonsteel is written. 

On 6/18/2018 at 7:03 AM, ScarletSabre said:

Also, the 'cracks in the soul' method of altering one's SpiritWeb has only been confirmed as the in-world explanation, if I recall correctly.

It's pretty solidly confirmed as how Allomancy works, given that Harmony couldn't get rid of it. And Brandon says there are "other ways, as well." As well being the key point towards cracked soul being a valid method for Surgebinding too.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, Calderis said:

I was just thinking that this morning, a day or two after I made a post pointing out how an expert Soulcaster like Jasnah would be perfect for a KR-on-Mistborn fight (say, against Zane), as she could Soulcast everything he was carrying to aluminum (coins in pouch for flying, metal flakes in vials) and really, really mess things up for him.

She could also just Soulcast whatever metal she wanted out of anything, even thin air, so she'd be a great traveling companion for an allied Mistborn.

But yeah... If Hoid does gain Soulcasting through a Nahel bond with a Cryptic, and already has Allomancy, that's amazingly powerful. Metals on demand!

Cryptic is just ideal for him. There are several reasons, why:

1. No oaths ( except the first, which he's fulfilling constantly). He can do whatever he need. He is unbound.

2. He can speak four Trues for minute and become the most powerful Radiant in the Cosmere.

3. Perfect Surges for him.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:29 AM, robardin said:

I was just thinking that this morning, a day or two after I made a post pointing out how an expert Soulcaster like Jasnah would be perfect for a KR-on-Mistborn fight (say, against Zane), as she could Soulcast everything he was carrying to aluminum (coins in pouch for flying, metal flakes in vials) and really, really mess things up for him.

I am wondering about this actually. As a sink for investiture, I assume you cannot soulcast alumimum into anything else. But would it be reasonable to assume cosmere magic allows soulcasting to make aluminum? Thinking about this, I get a mental image of everyone running around in soulcast aluminum armor and that feels too powerful. Seems like it would upend cosmere magic balance and by Brandon's magic laws there should be limitations. Perhaps the stormlight cost to soulcast aluminum is extrodinarily high.

If it is possible, maybe that is why Hoid wanted this ability? Almost seems like a videogame cheatcode. Hoid is a videogame cheat code.

4 minutes ago, Moonrise said:

I am wondering about this actually. As a sink for investiture, I assume you cannot soulcast alumimum into anything else. But would it be reasonable to assume cosmere magic allows soulcasting to make aluminum?

I believe it's mentioned several times that Soulcasting is the only known way to get aluminum on Roshar, like when the gambler evaluated the value of Shallan's aluminum necklace when she used it and her brothers' fine knives to help ransom her brother Jushu from debt slavery in WoR.

5 minutes ago, robardin said:

I believe it's mentioned several times that Soulcasting is the only known way to get aluminum on Roshar, like when the gambler evaluated the value of Shallan's aluminum necklace when she used it and her brothers' fine knives to help ransom her brother Jushu from debt slavery in WoR.

Oh definitely missed that point. Also found a WoB on soulcasting to make aluminum. Looks like as usual the question has been asked before. Still I wonder of limitations if any.

1 minute ago, Moonrise said:

Oh definitely missed that point. Also found a WoB on soulcasting to make aluminum. Looks like as usual the question has been asked before. Still I wonder of limitations if any.

Probably because it's a sink for Investiture, it would take an extreme amount of Stormlight.

49 minutes ago, Moonrise said:

Ehhhhh according to Brandon, we shouldn't take everything Shallan says as set in stone, because she's an unreliable narrator.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

So, I'm intrigued by aluminum, especially the fact that it can only be found by Soulcasting on Roshar. So, how was it discovered in the first place?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...Did I say you can only get it through Soulcasting?

In the Shallan flashbacks, she has the pendant.

Don't take what she says at 100% truth.

source

9 minutes ago, GoufCustom said:

I'm pretty sure there's some reference to aluminum coming via meteorite, though I may be mixing worlds in my head.

There is

The meteorite metal that they talk about that blocks Shards, is that aluminum?

Uh, so-- yes.

Footnote: Referencing OB Ch 100, "There are legends of metal that can block a Shardblade. A metal that falls from the sky. Silver, but somehow lighter." It is a point of contention, however, whether or not aluminum can actually block a Shardblade.
source

Ok, did Hoid bond with the Cryptic? I thought that he was just saving it for someone else or from the Fused? And is aluminum really that rare? I thought with soulcasting virtually everything isn't rare? I mean Ryan's Babsk trades scrap metal for chickens with the Shin, so I assumed it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to turn some of it into aluminum.

1 minute ago, whattheHoid said:

Ok, did Hoid bond with the Cryptic? I thought that he was just saving it for someone else or from the Fused? And is aluminum really that rare? I thought with soulcasting virtually everything isn't rare? I mean Ryan's Babsk trades scrap metal for chickens with the Shin, so I assumed it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to turn some of it into aluminum.

Because aluminum does what it does and is mostly just unknown on Roshar, beyond rumors and old legends, Soulcasting aluminum probably wouldn't be as common as the other Soulcasting methods. Partially because it doesn't have a good use as much on Roshar that anyone except for Hoid knows conclusively and to Soulcast it would probably need a ton of Stormlight due to it cancelling the Investiture every time you get a small amount cast successfully. (If it does that, we don't know completely.)

2 minutes ago, BitBitio said:

Theory that may explain everything: Hoid is a dragon.

*bows*

*leaves*

That assumes one very important thing that I don't know is confirmed one way or the other yet. It assumes that Sanderson's dragons will be able to change their shape from, well, draconic to humanoid.(hehehe human-hoid)

Just now, Invocation said:

That assumes one very important thing that I don't know is confirmed one way or the other yet. It assumes that Sanderson's dragons will be able to change their shape from, well, draconic to humanoid.(hehehe human-hoid)

That is confirmed. 

Blightsong

Are sandlings from white sand an early concept for crustaceans on Roshar, with greatshells being a parallel to deep sandlings?

Brandon Sanderson

No, um, the idea for white sand came first, and it was more that I was exploring divergent ecology, but I've been doing that in Dragonsteel and in White Sand and in here with Roshar. I would say that the fact that white sand hadn't been published meant that I could do something's that were similar without worrying about repeating myself, but it's not like I used them specifically as models.

Blightsong

*jokingly* So are we going to get to see little dragons running around in Dragonsteel?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, well, in Dragonsteel the dragons are sapient, so when I write Dragonsteel I will put dragons in there, but the dragons are intelligent and uh, can take human form, but there are actual little dragons.

Blightsong

Wait, they can take human form?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes, yup.

source

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

But would they be able to do it for that long? Or is that where Hoid disappears to, like he was letting his original form recuperate?

I don't think it's time limited. But I also don't think Hoid is a dragon.

Edit: scratch that. He's definitely not a dragon. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is Hoid human?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Hoid was human a long time ago. Now... it's complicated. We would call him human, and so will pretty much everyone else, but he is not exactly that.

source

Edited by Calderis