Which world would you rather be on?

StanLemon

Probably Nalthis or Mistborn Era 2, they seem like the safest places. Also Era 2 Scadrial has electricity and if I could figure out a way to get rich on Nalthis I could buy a ton of Breaths and be ageless.

I'd like to visit Roshar, and see all the unique flora and fauna but I wouldn't want to be stuck there, it's kind of a dangerous place and also I'd be seen as lower class in like half of it.  I could try to bond a spren but it would still be dangerous even then.

The whole Darkeyes thing isn't something I actually thought of with my response... I have emerald green eyes, but they're rather deep, would I be considered a darkeyes on Roshar?

Most of the Darkeyes eye colours we hear about are grays and deep browns etc, and a very dark green if I recall correctly... Are Lighteyes eye colours specifically bright, or would someone with simply green/blue eyes pass for one?

We know Hoid passes for one, but let's be honest, Hoid is an exception, plus he has a ton of Breaths, enough for Perfect Pitch, so colours should be more vibrant around him and Vasher anyway, and yet aren't noted as such, so I suspect there's a trick to supressing the colour bubble, and the leap from that to enhancing only specific colours, like eye colour...

Edited by ScarletSabre

4 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

We know Hoid passes for one, but let's be honest, Hoid is an exception, plus he has a ton of Breaths, enough for Perfect Pitch, so colours should be more vibrant around him and Vasher anyway, and yet aren't noted as such, so I suspect there's a trick to supressing the colour bubble, and the leap from that to enhancing only specific colours, like eye colour...

Hoid also has an original Yolish version of Lightweaving and has used a number of different appearances across the series so he's able to look however be storming well wants to look. He could pass himself off as just about anyone depending on the needs of the moment. But yeah, in general the eye color thing is another good issue to consider when deciding planets. I'd definiltely be considered a darkeyes so that's one more reason I'd pick Scadrial.

Or if you arrived at the Shardpool.  Horneaters would treat you like a god!

V I think this is relevant.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

We started out in the earlier books knowing that there's this Hoid guy, he's a worldhopper and worldhoppers exist. And then we've kind of been given more and more. In Secret History it said you'd be surprised about the economy you've ended by destroying the Perpedicularity - what amount of people are travelling between worlds? Hundreds? Thousands? Billions?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Thousands.

Is it like vacation? Or is it like - 

Well, I wouldn't call it [vacationing]

Is it the frontier? Or is it from where you could go?

It depends on the roadway. Let's say you look at frontier era America. How hard was it to get to England? It was really far away, but it was actually relatively safe and common to do this. How difficult was it to get to Boise, Idaho? That's harder, but you know how to do it. How easy was it to get to, let's say, the Hawaiian Islands? You're starting to get into like, the question comes here, certain pathways are more traveled. There're going to be caravans, there're going to be guides. There're going to be safe travels between certain places that are done commonly enough that if you are in the know and are in the right place you can be like "I wanna buy passage here." And you go there, and you can have a reasonable expectation that you're going to make it to where you're going. 

Other places, you say, "I wanna go here", and they're like, "Yeah, I've known someone who tried that and they never came back. Not taking you." So, where you're going, where you're trafficking, Khriss gives you some indications of which ones are easy to get to and which ones are commonly visited. I would recommend that if you want to go on vacation in the Cosmere, like, "I want to go somewhere different," go to Nalthis. Nalthis is great to go to, right? They even have customs that you can go through. You can like, arrive, and things like this. Don't go to Sel. Sel is not good to go to. Sel is really dangerous to go to. There's a dead Shard--two of them--in the Cognitive Realm that will destroy you. Other places, Scadrial, used to be a lot easier to get to. Roshar, depends which era you're talking about. Sometimes it's pretty easy to go to. Those nice Horneaters will treat you like a god and feed you food. However, right now, it might not be a good time to try to visit Roshar.

source

47 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Or if you arrived at the Shardpool.  Horneaters would treat you like a god!

Yes, but like Brandon says at the end there, visiting Roshar during the time of SA might not be the best idea. OB spoiler

Spoiler

Especially since Cultivation's Perpendicularity (the one in the Peaks) is being watched by Team Odium

So if for some reason you really wanted to pick Roshar, choosing some time before the current story might be a good idea. I'm thinking that a couple centuries after Aharietiam would probably be the nicest ones, after civilization has rebuilt itself and while the Radiants are still around to keep the peace but before things start declining. Or possibly during the later years of Nohadon's reign because he seems like a cool guy and that would be an easy way to get some answers.

I've been summoned from the great abyss to add something here. It's your lucky day, guys.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, Calderis said:

@Jazzy Kandra brought it up in a discord conversation mirroring this topic, but the only one we know of is horse racing.

Suit apparently liked it if his supposed wasted fortunes on gambling according to the butler can be trusted (which I don't, it sounds like a cover for funneling money to the set), and after the failed first wedding, wax allowed his driver time off to "spend the day at the races." 

Yeah, to add to this, a lot of the leisurely activities in Era 2 seem to be things that the middle and upperclasses can afford, while their working class and poor don't have much beside pubs and, maybe, Soothing/Rioting parlors (I think these are more middle class and up, though) and races, as well as religion. At least this is the case at the communal level since you do have cheap newspapers and stuff like that. Operas, plays, and concerts, though, are generally things that the middle and upper classes can afford. And, depending on the type of horse racing we're talking about and the venues these races are set in, they might be mainly a middle/upper class activity as well since some were/are that way in real-life too, but we don't know enough about Scadrian horse races to know what kinds there are (and there could be multiple)...except that Suit enjoyed them, and I can't imagine Suit going to a dirty venue. But the thing with Scadrial is it hasn't had it's leisure revolution yet despite that it has had the industrial revolution (in our world, both happened at the same time in the US), that, and the renewed wealth disparity between classes is kinda why living in Era 2 would suck. This last point is kind of a major reason for certain plot points in Era 2...which means I wouldn't want to live there given a choice.

All that said, I'd love living on Scadrial...a little after Era 3. By then, they will probably have had their leisure revolution, I hope. I'd love watching the Metalborn (Olympic) Games and dancing. I think once they get their stuff figured out and insta'noodles, internet, and such things are available, it should be fun. That, are maybe Sel around Era 3 Scadrial... I kind of like the conveniences of modern life I guess. xD

Edited by Jazzy Kandra

• Chaos locked this topic