Which world would you rather be on?

StanLemon

Uhh... easy choice for me. Scadrial Era 2. Or possibly Ashyn. Because if you look at the rest:

Scadrial Era 1: Be enslaved by a tyrant.

Roshar: Live through neverending cataclysms, with really bad weather.

Sel: Worrying about being ambushed by creepy dark magic monks with wierd bone structure.

Nalthis: I’m (kinda) color blind.

Taldain: A mysterious Shard with split personality disorder, in a desert with monsters...

Braize: Home to an evil Shard and his evil minions. Famous for being a place of eternal torture. 

Threnody: Inhabited by ghosts who murder you if you happen to have a nosebleed.

Scadrial 2 and Ashyn are not quite as bad. Ashyn would be an awesome view, even though it has the downside of being a burning wreck of a planet. Scadrial Era 2 is just generally pretty chill.

So I'm assuming not only is it just regular old us, but we also have access to the knowledge of the Cosmere from the books we've read.

With that in mind, I would pick Roshar and work towards becoming a Skybreaker. 

But even if access to magic systems is off the table, I would be happy to be a soldier in Dalinar's army.

There are WAY too many ways to abuse Era 1.  If you end up near when TLR was killed, you could speculate on financial things and become rich because of the knowledge you have.  Or you could ambush Hoid on his way out of the well when he stole the Lerasium and tell him what is going to happen in the future in all the books to help him.  You could also tell Vin to take up the well's power and why, and tell Sazed what was bothering him before it happened.  Of course, you would be a target for Ruin after you had done these things...

Or you could go along with everyone else, but as Sazed is looking at the powers and having an internal monologue, you could snatch them up instead!  Of course, you might not be able to fix the orbit and things, but you could ask Sazed to help you and you could work together for that.  Then you could let him write the words of founding as if it was him.  And you could grant him Fullborn status and make him your adviser/figurehead as you go do what he says and explore cosmic mysteries...  I like this option better instead of trying to meddle with canon and accidentally making Ruin win.

Nalthis for sure. The government doesn’t seem too bad, and it’s generally pretty equal throughout. And then there is the plus side to being able to access the Investiture. I’d Awaken everything! 

I've got to agree with Brandon's own assessment (and in-universe, Hoid's) and say Scadrial Era 2, or even further in the future if I could because I imagine that in between 2 and 3 you'd get a 'Jazzpunk' kind of setting and that would be awesome to live in. And I figure the further ahead in Scadrial's timeline I can push it, the more likely it is that unsealed metalminds become widely enough available to get access to magic through them. And that I could get instant noodles.

DrogaKrolow

If you were to choose one of your own worlds to live in, which would that be?

Brandon Sanderson

It would definitely be… Does it have to be cosmere?

DrogaKrolow

No.

Brandon Sanderson

Because then I could go with one of the cool science-fiction ones and I could have-- Like, you know-- Live far away from where everyone is having war and live like in a futuristic society. I think that's kind of cheating. If I had to pick one of the cosmere worlds I would probably pick Scadrial because it's the closest to having the Internet and instant noodles.

source

Question

Other than his home planet, what's Hoid's favorite planet in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

He probably would pick Scadrial. Hoid likes his creature comforts. Scadrial is the nicest place to live right now. Now there are other places that are easier to get Investiture, which is very nice, but if you actually want to go to a restaurant, your options are limited. They've got some on Nalthis, but you want to get a nice restaurant, go to Scadrial. You want a car service, Scadrial. And if he sits around long enough, he'll have instant noodles.

source

Edited by Weltall

Definitely Nalthais or Scadrial era 2-3. 

Nalthais is generally nice with accessible magic system and Endowment seems benevolent enough. Then Scadrial is close to our world with allomancy, also the resident Hero of Ages from that place is as nice as a god could ever get,  

Definitely not Roshar, that place is a hellstorm(literally and figuratively) out of all the places.

Edited by goody153

11 hours ago, goody153 said:

Then Roshar is close to our world with allomancy, also the resident Hero of Ages from that place is as nice as a god could ever get,  

Definitely not Roshar, that place is a hellstorm(literally and figuratively) out of all the places.

I would for sure go to Scadrial Era2.
I'd begin working to condense the mists into Lerasium. While the mists are more prominent in Era1 the world is a little too dangerous in my opinion.

I considered Roshar. I could try to bond a spren, I could visit The Nightwatcher, or I could try my hand at Fabrial creation. With the current condition of the world it is a dangerous place without any investiture.

Let's see...

Scadrial in Era 2 is very tempting since it has creature comforts, and if we know what we're doing it'd probably be fairly easy to get in touch with Harmony and discuss things such as the granting of Allomancy or Feruchemy...

Nalthis is also very tempting since you can get access to Investiture and it's the easiest method of becoming immortal, which is a biiiiig bonus.

Roshar would also be fun since I enjoy crazy weather (though a Highstorm might be pushing it), and you can try and bond a Spren, or just get a Shardblade/Plate if you're a good enough warrior. Plus Ryshadium! (I originally mistyped "plush" for a second there... Roshar versions of Tsoony pups? :D )

Sel... I doubt I'd become an Elantrian, and while I'd love to test my own martial arts against theirs, the Dakhor Monks are rather offputting... though I could learn to carve SoulStamps and Forge....

Yolen would be very interesting, depending on the state of Fain, and there be dragons.

The rules of Threnody seem bendable and exploitable, but there's a hell of a risk there...

Nightside Taldain might be a good choice, but HELL NAW to Dayside, since I'm pale as hell and a redhead, I would burn within bloody minutes, and melt in the heat.

First of the Sun has guns and a certain level of tech, and as long as I stay away from the Trapper's Islands I should be okay, though that then raises the question of how I get there and how I get off the island I worldhop to...

Looks like for me personally, it's a tossup between Era 2 Scadrial, Nalthis, Roshar and Yolen.

Era 2 Scadrial. Asolutely yesNo questions asked. I could probably hack the magic system there pretty quickly given that I am a metallurgy student and I have a pretty good understanding of the Cosmere. 

Roshar. Ack, NO! Giant killer lobsters, evil spirit things that can possess an entire species. The personal stomping ground of the Shard of Hate. Home to one of the most war-like races in the known universe. Crazed demi-gods who go around killing people. Did I mention that the planet is currently being led by a older man with serious depression and substance abuse issues, a young man who can fly, and a 30-something who can turn me to stone. Also, the weekly superstorms and giant rock monsters are a huge downside.

Nalthis. No, I could be killed by my clothing, nuf said.

Taldain. No, Sand and more sand.

Sel. Too high of gravity.

Threnody. Cognitive Zombies.

First of the Sun. Its like Australia or Texas, only bigger things that can kill you and who hunt you with their brain.

Scadrial it is! I will be eating my instant noodles and hunting down the last of the mistwraiths so that I can get more Kandra, my own shapeshifting army.

Nalthis - I reckon I could be a Tarachin superstar in a couple of years. Plus, I like art and, although, I don't have royal locks my hair has been many and varied interesting shades in my lifetime so I'd fit right in!

Otherwise, Shadesmar. I pretty much envy Khriss her job and could intern for her (plus, Nazh seems like a laugh).

Scadrial. It would be mostly familiar, with some awesome things added on. 

And then there's this. 

Isaac Stewart

That's one thing we haven't done in these books, is sports teams! In the newspaper! The Hazekillers!

Brandon Sanderson

They don't have professional sports on Scadrial.

Isaac Stewart

Oh they don't? I didn't know that.

Brandon Sanderson

It's actually a plot point.

source

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Scadrial. It would be mostly familiar, with some awesome things added on. 

And then there's this. 

Rust and Ruin! I was totally picturing the possibility of Allomantic Sports Leagues, specifically a game with a ball with a metal center and position players with some number of Coinshots and Lurchers and maybe a Pewterarm goalie.

In fact, when The Alloy of Law introduced a teamed pair of Mistings nicknamed Push and Pull, I mentally made a backstory for the two of them being well practiced in coordinating together to approximate a "shrapnel cloud" like effect that Kelsier and Vin were able to do, largely from having grown up playing a sport where such coordination was part of the training. They never exhibited that kind of teamwork, though, and now the sport doesn't exist, either.

But where is it "a plot point" that professional sports don't exist on Scadrial?

Just now, Calderis said:

I'm guessing that's not written yet 

Hmm. Now I'm wondering HOW it could be a plot point.

For one, you can't note the absence of something you didn't even know could exist, so either a worldhopper brings it up, or someone starts up Scadrial's first ever pro sports league.

Maybe the rumored "Full Mistborn" in Era 3 makes a living pretending to be a Coinshot on a team of Allomancers in a sport where he's effectively a hidden second Lurcher as an unfair advantage. Haha! And there are Seeker referees looking for unauthorized Allomancy, but that he is able to expertly flash a Coppercloud to mask his Pulls, but dropping it when Pushing.

Eh, there'd be a potential problem with spectator Coinshots or Lurchers intefering with game play while sitting next to a co-conspiring Smoker, though; not sure how to deal with that.

Still, that is a very interesting offhand mention of a future plot point.

It sounds like Brandon is laying some groundwork for Scadrial to develop professional sports but it won't really become a thing until Era 3.

lightylantern

I'm pretty interested in the integration of magic and sport, like in Harry Potter and The Legend of Korra. Will we be seeing any allomantic sports in the second Mistborn trilogy?

Brandon Sanderson

Probably the third. Scadrial is behind on a couple of things, technologically, and they've been very practically minded lately. I have some hints of professional sports in the Era Two books, but they're slight.

source

Offhand I can't recall any hints (however slight) to pro sports thus far, so maybe he's planning something for The Lost Metal?

2 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Offhand I can't recall any hints (however slight) to pro sports thus far, so maybe he's planning something for The Lost Metal?

@Jazzy Kandra brought it up in a discord conversation mirroring this topic, but the only one we know of is horse racing.

Suit apparently liked it if his supposed wasted fortunes on gambling according to the butler can be trusted (which I don't, it sounds like a cover for funneling money to the set), and after the failed first wedding, wax allowed his driver time off to "spend the day at the races." 

I was a biology major long ago, and First of the Sun really intrigues me with its biology-related magic (I am not going to say "magical creatures"!!^_^).

Second choice would be, like most of you, Scadrial Era 2. I've got a knack for fixing machines, so a steampunk-like setting would provide me plenty of opportunities for gainful employment.

Excellent question, OP! Thanks for starting this thread!!!

1 hour ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

... what if you ate a worm 0.0

Doesn't work. 

Spoiler

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

On Sixth of the Dusk, First of the Sun, if humans eat the fruit or the seed of the worms, will they gain Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No. They tried that. Someone has tried that.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Has Hoid been there?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That's a RAFO.

source