"What are you doing here, bridgeboy?"

Thath Zeras

"Playing one of the ten fools."

Hello everyone!

New to the 17th Shard (obviously) but I've stumbled across great discussions all over here so I figured I'd join and contribute whenever it strikes me. So I first got exposed to the Cosmere a little under a year ago. In that brief time... I've been busy. I should mention that my primary method of experiencing the Cosmere is through audiobooks, both Audible and Graphic Audio productions...Don't worry I know how to spell the names of characters at least, haha. My first time through read order was as follows, but for them all I listened to Audible first then GA of the same production 2 times over:

1. Mistborn Era 1 
  2. Mistborn Era 2 
  3. Elantris
  4. Warbreaker
  5. The Way of Kings
  6. Words of Radiance
  7. Edgedancer
  8. Oathbringer (Can't wait for the GA to be finished, 3 of 6 done already!)
  9. Arcanum Unbounded (I know, got Edgedancer twice haha)
  10. Repeat steps 1 through 10.

So, if you can't tell by now, I'm a huge fan of the Cosmere and these amazing yet subtly interweaved narratives of EPIC proportions. And it looks like this is a place where I can nerd-out to my fullest potential with some other awesome people! Looking forward to some cool discussions haha.

Shoot, I might as well bring up the random connections I drew today while listening to Words of Radiance for the umpteenth time.

Exhibit A:

When Kaladin and squad are in the caverns with bridge 17. Kaladin is trying to figure out how to use the Surge of Gravitation like the Szeth did in the recent attempt on Dalinar's life. He gets into a discussion with Syl on the nature of spren and Sigzil prompts Syl to reveal herself to them. Syl says that spren are personifications of human perception (don't quote me on that). to which Kaladin responds, "Doesn't that bother you? that you're created by humans?" She responds, "Why should that bother me? You were created by your parents..." 

Exhibit B:

When Shallan and Pattern are discussing the Nahel bond and how it gives spren the ability to think, remember, and develop personality traits. She asks him, "Doesnt that bother you? To be dependent on (may be 'beholden to') another?" to which Pattern responds, "Why should that bother me? You were dependent on your parents..."

Okay my question may be obvious now, but what do you guys think of this overt similarity between the sprens' answers?

It felt almost like a programmed response to the questions that formed an analogy to Nahel bonded spren being the "children" of the human they bond. I wonder if its a response to the Day of Recreance, trying to instill different ideas into Nahel bonded humans to lessen the chances of another betrayal?

Welcome to the shard!  Who are your favorite (non-GA) audiobook narrators?

On 6/16/2018 at 1:06 AM, Thath Zeras said:

Okay my question may be obvious now, but what do you guys think of this overt similarity between the sprens' answers?

I'm gonna be boring: I think this is just a consequence of those two scenes being written by the same guy.  If I recall correctly, the personification aspect of spren persists even in the cognitive realm, independent of the Nahel bond that helps the spren function in the physical realm.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:54 PM, Archer said:

Welcome to the Shard! I can't comment on your connection, having never read WoR. In lieu of that, I'll ask you what's the best book to listen to? 

Thanks! My absolute favorite to listen to would have to be Way of Kings, followed very very closely by Mistborn: TFE. The initial character developments of Kaladin in TWoK and Vin in TFE are absolutely amazing.

22 hours ago, daschaich said:

Welcome to the shard!  Who are your favorite (non-GA) audiobook narrators?

I'm gonna be boring: I think this is just a consequence of those two scenes being written by the same guy.  If I recall correctly, the personification aspect of spren persists even in the cognitive realm, independent of the Nahel bond that helps the spren function in the physical realm.

Thank you! I would have to say my favorite narrators would be: 

1) Peter Kenny, he is the one who narrates the novels that the Witcher games are based on. If you are a fan of the Witcher game series I highly recommend giving the audible productions a try.

2) Michael Kramer, if you don't already know who he is, he's the main narrator for Mistborn and Stormlight Archive Audible productions.