Rithmatist Sequel?

Avaryation

First off, I'd like to express my thanks and appreciation to Mr. Sanderson for all of the amazing work he's done. I've read just about everything he's written - some of it more than once, which is something I've almost never done. More specifically however, I'd like to release this into the ether in hopes that Mr. Sanderson would stumble upon it and know that a specific individual has been affected by his work in a positive way. Thanks, my friend.

Now. Any chance of a sequel to Rithmatist happening any time soon? I just got done reading it again and have had many students of mine read it. We're all looking for more! No pressure though! You keep on with whatever process you use to bring us these awesome books! Thanks again!

Welcome to the Shard! Here's the latest Brandon has said about Rithmatist 2:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is the sequel to The Rithmatist still in the works?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It's still in the work. The Rithmatist is this strange doc in my writing in that it's the last book I wrote before the Wheel of Time hit me like a freight train. All future plans got trampled and balefired, right? And things I'd been planning to do, I no longer knew what was going to happen. So  Rithmatist I didn't release right then. I let it sit for a while. Eventually the publisher is like, "we should release this, it's a good book." And I think it is a really strong book.

So a couple of years back, I sat down and tried to write the sequel. And it's another one of these books that didn't work. There are a variety of reasons it didn't work. But it didn't work. I got like four or five chapters in. I shelved it and wrote an Alcatraz book instead--it's another series I've had looming over me. Now that I've learned to do novellas and things like this, you find me making open-ended series less often. Like with Skyward, it's going to be a trilogy and I'm going to write two of them this year--maybe all three if I can--and then it's done and turned in. And with the novellas, there's not necessarily sequels that I'm planning. So I'm getting better at managing that, but I've gotten these kind of "open" series. I really want to write Rithmatist 2. I think it's very deserving of a sequel. I think it's a good book. I don't know how to do it yet, which is rare for me, but I don't.

So, maybe this thing will work with Dan, and I'll go, well maybe there's someone who can help me fix this, one of my friends. Maybe I will just carve out the time to do this, let's do it. But right now, it is one of those things I don't just have a date for, and I feel bad about that. The good news is I'm doing this less and less. I'm figuring out how to make this happen. Legion is now done and turned in. Alcatraz is very close. I finished half of Alcatraz 6. Well, Bastille 1, but there's only one Bastille. If you guys don't know, the first five Alcatraz books are written by a guy named Alcatraz and then he leaves the ending in a terrible cliffhanger at the fifth book, and says, "I'm done!" But the joke has always been his friend Bastille thinks that's stupid, so she's going to write the ending he refuses to write. So I wrote half of her book and it looked good. I'm pleased with where Bastille Vs. The Evil Librarians is going. So that'll be wrapped up before too long, and then that series is done. So Legion and Alcatraz are very close to being done. That leaves The Rithmatist. And so it would be next on my, "let's figure out how to get this done."

That's a long answer that just basically says, "it's coming but I don't know when."

You can find everything he's said about the book (tentatively titled The Aztlanian) on this page: https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?tags=the+aztlanian

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, Avaryation said:

First off, I'd like to express my thanks and appreciation to Mr. Sanderson for all of the amazing work he's done. I've read just about everything he's written - some of it more than once, which is something I've almost never done. More specifically however, I'd like to release this into the ether in hopes that Mr. Sanderson would stumble upon it and know that a specific individual has been affected by his work in a positive way. Thanks, my friend.

Now. Any chance of a sequel to Rithmatist happening any time soon? I just got done reading it again and have had many students of mine read it. We're all looking for more! No pressure though! You keep on with whatever process you use to bring us these awesome books! Thanks again!

On his website there is a "secret project," which could be virtually anything. I don't think it's Rithmatist but that's always a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, Ookla the Sarcastic said:

On his website there is a "secret project," which could be virtually anything. I don't think it's Rithmatist but that's always a possibility.

It's not Rithmatist..I went to the Seattle book signing and he said that in 2019 he'll be pounding out Stormlight 4 and working a little on Wax and Wayne 4. I don't know if that's the "secret project", but it's there.

Secret Project is something Brandon has not talked about before and it's also not Cosmere. That nixes it being just about anything we can guess, since he's already told us about things like The Dark One, the Rithmatist sequel and various other cool non-Cosmere potential works like Adamant. Also, Brandon's not in control of when it releases and has a very strict non-disclosure agreement about whatever it is, which means that someone else is involved and calling a lot of the shots. That would also nix it being anything like Rithmatist even without the first WoB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Mailnaise said:

Aw man, I just finished the Rithmatist today, and that (mostly) open ending hurt...

Good to know more is definitely on the way! Thanks for finding the quote.

I read it 6 years ago two months after it came out. Couldn't remember the name or author of it for a while except that the name was something like arithmetic. Finally two years ago I remember the name and find out two shocking things

1) it's written by Brandon sanderson my new favorite author

2) after 4 years the next book IS STILL NOT OUT

At this point part of me wonders whether it'll just get shelved by the cosmere and have somone else tale over. 

Edited by Orion

On 1/20/2019 at 3:32 PM, Orion said:

At this point part of me wonders whether it'll just get shelved by the cosmere and have somone else tale over. 

That might be a good thing because then he'd have more time for Cosmere stuff.

Edited by Mailnaise

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...