The Traveller and the Letters

Ixthos

One issue that has been bugging me about the traveller excerpt is it doesn't make sense when one considers the letters.

• Hoid was on Sel before he was on Scadrial, as the events of Hero of Ages take place after Elantris
  • Being on Sel, Hoid likely knew that Aona and Skai were dead
  • Thus Hoid, when on Scadrial and seeing Ati and Leras die would know that at least four were dead
  • When he talks with Frost, he only mentions Ati and Leras
  • Frost indicates that he knows, and that he has been watching
  • Logically, Hoid would conclude he has been watching everywhere and so already knows about Aona and Skai, and doesn't mention them to Frost
  • Three hundred years later, he sends a letter pointing out that Aona and Skai are dead

The easiest solution would be the writing could be changed, or that Hoid could have been reiterating to Frost about events he might not have been watching at the time, but it still doesn't make sense.

Hoid was surprised that Frost was watching. He might just expect that Frost rarely watches, and thus the mention of "In case you have turned a blind eye to that disaster", cause he might or might not have been watching at the time. Plus the events of Dom and Dev happened thousands of years before Ruin and Preservation's showdown, so that could explain why Hoid didn't mention it at the time. 

6 hours ago, Ixthos said:

One issue that has been bugging me about the traveller excerpt is it doesn't make sense when one considers the letters.

• Hoid was on Sel before he was on Scadrial, as the events of Hero of Ages take place after Elantris
  • Being on Sel, Hoid likely knew that Aona and Skai were dead
  • Thus Hoid, when on Scadrial and seeing Ati and Leras die would know that at least four were dead
  • When he talks with Frost, he only mentions Ati and Leras
  • Frost indicates that he knows, and that he has been watching
  • Logically, Hoid would conclude he has been watching everywhere and so already knows about Aona and Skai, and doesn't mention them to Frost
  • Three hundred years later, he sends a letter pointing out that Aona and Skai are dead

The easiest solution would be the writing could be changed, or that Hoid could have been reiterating to Frost about events he might not have been watching at the time, but it still doesn't make sense.

Aona and Skai died long before the events of Mistborn Era1. Ati and Leras were a recent event that were directly applicable to Hoid's point. Hoid assumed Frost was unaware of this because it was so recent.That the shardic intents are dangerous. The message seems to be that if Ati turned bad imagine what a bad man with a bad intent might do (Rayse/Odium).

The letter is reinforcing the point that Odium is dangerous. It is a last ditch effort to get Frost involved in the conflict. Rayse seems to have some beef with Frost. 

I am seeing the letter as more plausible now, though it still feels a little of a stretch. After talking to Frost in that scene it does specifically seem Hoid is referencing Odium having his own goals. It might be another shard or some other threat, but if he was talking about "I would not worry about my vendetta" applying to Odium, mentioning his other victims would also be something to bring up. I do see how it could work otherwise - there have been stranger conversations in real life. It could go either way

• Chaos locked this topic