Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Okay, I don't think the compasses are important anymore. The coordinates (in (longitude, latitude) form) of the ones we see here, assuming the very bottom of the map sits on latitude of about 10° (eye estimate based on how far away I suspect the south pole is), are:

• (0, 20), (0, 55)
  • (11, 50)
  • (20, 40)
  • (30, 30)

The one on (11,50) is incredibly annoying, by the way. 

I'm going to propose something preposterous that I posted on another thread about the Dawnshards (which are, in all likelihood, splinters of Adonalsium). Rather than the Rosharian super-continent being a dragon, I suggest it is a giant greatshell (just like the Reshi Islands are greatshells).

WoB is that one of the Dawnshards is unique. Not being an astronomer, it seems odd to me that a planet should have so relatively little land mass. And if the continent were alive, it would explain why the continent seems to have moved in circles, as if the continent were slowly turning around.

Roshar is dominated by crustacean lifeforms, presumably the original lifeforms that spawned from the original Adonalsium splinters. Others have noted that the crustaceans probably pre-date the arrival of Honor and Cultivation. Perhaps Roshar is one of the largest Adonalsium splinters, which might explain how Honor bound Odium to the Rosharian planetary system.

Speculation piled on speculation...Just saying!

I'm going to propose something preposterous that I posted on another thread about the Dawnshards (which are, in all likelihood, splinters of Adonalsium). Rather than the Rosharian super-continent being a dragon, I suggest it is a giant greatshell (just like the Reshi Islands are greatshells).

WoB is that one of the Dawnshards is unique. Not being an astronomer, it seems odd to me that a planet should have so relatively little land mass. And if the continent were alive, it would explain why the continent seems to have moved in circles, as if the continent were slowly turning around.

Roshar is dominated by crustacean lifeforms, presumably the original lifeforms that spawned from the original Adonalsium splinters. Others have noted that the crustaceans probably pre-date the arrival of Honor and Cultivation. Perhaps Roshar is one of the largest Adonalsium splinters, which might explain how Honor bound Odium to the Rosharian planetary system.

Speculation piled on speculation...Just saying!

thats a good one, also i dont remember where, but Brandon said that mountains weren't originated by tectonic plates. So thats a good theory.

Edited by Maresia

I need better tools to map out the longitude lines and some math (or I could print it, but no)...it actually really annoys me that we have their prime meridian, since I'm not sure how big the oceans are I wouldn't quite know when to stop counting, though a part of me thinks that it must go up to 160 (or 80) just for kicks (if I bent the map in half though the midpoint should be about at Fu Namir, how random). It almost seems like he did this to keep us occupied for awhile or some such thing...:P

I need better tools to map out the longitude lines and some math (or I could print it, but no)...it actually really annoys me that we have their prime meridian, since I'm not sure how big the oceans are I wouldn't quite know when to stop counting, though a part of me thinks that it must go up to 160 (or 80) just for kicks (if I bent the map in half though the midpoint should be about at Fu Namir, how random). It almost seems like he did this to keep us occupied for awhile or some such thing...:P

You should be able to extrapolate the distance between longitude lines right? We have 3 I think? Or does the spherical shape make that hard and that's why you're cranky about this?

*i say you as if it's the easiest thing ever when on fact I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about so deepest apologies.

Is that because of what peter mentioned earlier? One is a map from a round world perspective and one is a flat, smaller and flattened section?

Apologies I'm trying to understand how this works so I can potentially assist in the future. Thanks!

I have no idea why.  It's not quite different enough to be because of round vs flat.  More like someone stretched one in a few areas, and compressed in others.  So one is slightly less accurate.

Anyway, this is the best I can do, until someone smarter with proper tools comes along :)  And don't even ask me to number those longitudes, my brain shut down already!

post-9100-0-99479000-1395200514_thumb.jp

post-9100-0-34951400-1395200525_thumb.jp

The full-color map seems to be the same basic projection as the sepia map -- except painted on a vaulted ceiling.

e.g.:SuperStock_1566-065504.jpg

The level of shared precision makes me wonder if the artists have a full-on Rosharan GIS behind the scenes... One of these days, I'd like to throw the high-res images into ArcMap and see how they look when georectified. That southern hemisphere map's been bugging me for a while -- it's reminiscent of the Robinson pseudocylindrical projection -- except I think that would make Roshar weirdly hourglass-shaped. Which I suppose would support Confused's Greatshell Hypothesis...  ;)