The Survival Shard (BoM Spoiler)

Sauceborn

If such a thing as the Survival Shard exists, which has been hinted at by Brandon as a Shard that "just wants to survive", does anyone else think it might be possible for Kelsier to have become its vessel? As his whole thing is, y'know, surviving and all, but also because in the Bands of Mourning, he willed/helped the masked Scadrians survive, shown from the coppermind Wax taps into at the end.

(I know it never directly said the man in the memory was Kelsier, but who else has scars from Hasthin and speaks about surviving a bunch?)

I believe that it is generally assumed that the man who was in the memory is kelsier. 

The one thing that I would point out is that for the 'survival shard' the desire to survive is only tangentially related to its intent.

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

source

18 minutes ago, imriel452 said:

I have always assumed that with the ending of BoM that everyone accepted that Kelsier would become the Vessel of the Survival Shard

Except, as stated, there isn't a "Survival" Shard.

• Chaos locked this topic