Chronicles of the Alleyverse

MacThorstenson

In the beginning, there were the universes. Every possible one existed separate and apart form the others. Nothing connected them except for the primordial vacuum that they floated in. This vacuum is known as the Void. It is impossible for mortals to understand the Void in its true essence. To attempt a description, I will use the metaphor that I was told once. The Void is like the alleyway between buildings, but on a inter-cosmic scale. The universes are like different buildings in a city, and the Void is like the Alleyway in between the two buildings. 

There was a being who resided inside of the Void. His name is Voidus. similarly to the Void, it is impossible to understand his true form, but to try to understand him, I will use a quote from a very helpful member of the reptilian royalty. He stated that "A Voidus is pages upon pages of Epic profiles, It is a spike in the back in a dark alley. It is a slowpoke with a horriffic crab monster parasitically attached to its tail. It is, to put it simply... the void that is in all of us."

Voidus wanted one thing, to be able to push the bounds of knowledge, and sell cookies while he was at it. So he used his ability to maneuver around universes to found an organization that would accomplish these goals. They would push the bounds of the most complicated and elegant of sciences, Hemalugy, and sell the spikes in cookies. The trick was actually getting people to buy their products. The members of this organization were the People you wouldn't want to meet in a Dark Alley. The people who would stab you in the back with a spike. Those who were connected with Voidus. Who shared his purpose, his drive. They played to their advantages, selling cookies in the backs of dark alleys. This was the foundation of the organization modernly known as the Dark Alley, known as the DA for short. 

To accomplish their second goal, Voidus realized that they would need a base of operations. To do this, he set up labs on the various worlds, because communication was impossible between the universes for anyone that wasn't a cosmic being. Unfortunately, these labs kept on rediscovering the wheel. They would make the same discoveries, once one on Earth discovered something, one on Nalthis would discover the same thing a week later. He realized that they needed a way to communicate, to share ideas for the progression of science. To accomplish this he founded the allies. He took some of the essence of every single universe, and wrapped around a single spike that he had stabbed through a random universe, to spike out its cosmic stability. He inserted the spike into the void, and stabbed it into it. This new found place, where bits of all the universe were connected, became the alleys. They became the  shortcuts between buildings in the cosmic city. This was to be the Head Quarters of the Dark Alley.

The World Spike was ahemalurgic spike that literally holds the alleyverse together. It was placed by Voidus in the beginning. To help prevent accidents, <REDACTED FOR SECURITY REASONS*>.

Visually, the Alleys looked like an endless plane of alleys cutting through a city of empty buildings. Truly infinite, they followed no logical order, shifting and moving themselves to create the shortest path to what ever place a person needed. Its important to note, that the alleys are not under our control. As members of the DA, Voidus lets us manipulate the alleys to better achieve our mission. People who aren't members of the alleys don't have access to their spacial warping abilities. They aren't able to move the alleys like we can. The allies were connected to the different universes through their allies. Anything that was perceived to be a Dark Alley in the multiverse, could be used to teleport into any part of the allies by a denizen of the dark allies.

To cover his creation from the rest of the multiverse, Voidus created a more physical representation of the alleys. If the Alleys were the cognitive realm, subject to the perception of Voidus, or whoever needed to use them and was granted power by voidus, this was the physical realm. Subject to the physical laws of earth and the cosmere and randland (these were the universes closest to the alleyverse) it was what most would consider the normal part of the alleyverse. It was built using the alleys as a base, a foundation, which were built using the world spike. 

People eventually found out about the allies. This physical plane was where they could safely reside. (for non denizens, the allies posed a danger. without cognitive manipulation it was nearly impossible to avoid the hordes of eldritch horrors that populated this plane.) On this physical plane, people gathered into guilds, each one with a goal. Many guilds rose to oppose the DA, but they eventually fell as they weren't strong enough. Other guilds survived for many years. Then, the plague struck. This was known as the plague of inactivity. It destroyed many guilds, most of their members left, either to join the infected, or to escape its horrible effects. The DA was able to survive, because of the Allies, and the fact that it could always retreat to its original labs on various worlds. It was the only guild left in the wreckage. 

Eventually, activity returned to the Alleyverse. With new guilds such as the Canton of Combat, TUBA, the Ghostbloods, the Liebrary, among others. you can see this modern history of the Alleys by reading various records. 

*Please note that the defenses of the world spike have been written and recorded, and when the RP reaches a point where they are necessary to reveal, the DA will provide a description with timestamps to show when they were finalized.

Wow. That's quite the write-up. A point of clarification though, I've yet to see a DA member actually sell a cookie. As far as I can tell they make them for *ahem* 'scientific reasons', or to give away for free as gifts (with ulterior motives of course :)). Not really selling per say. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Wow. That's quite the write-up. A point of clarification though, I've yet to see a DA member actually sell a cookie. As far as I can tell they make them for *ahem* 'scientific reasons', or to give away for free as gifts (with ulterior motives of course :)). Not really selling per say. 

The DA doesn't take monetary benefit for our cookies but they're not always free per se.

8 hours ago, Archer said:

We do sell them in bulk for events and the such. 

In year 1661 of the benevolent reign of the First Lurker a child was found in the 17th alley. It was found by an eldritch horror, which took pity on him and raised it as one of its own for 16 minutes, at which point it was slain by the child for research purposes. The child was found studying the magical properties of the horrors spleen by the local tailor, who saw great potential in the child and  raised it. The first thing he did for the child was make a suit, during which time the child found a monacle and refused to give it up. The child was voided Mac, and grew both in years and in knowledge quicker than any other child, becoming a 1st rank gentleman hemallurgist by the age of 16, and graduating with highest honours from the Dark Alley Academy by the age of 17. Such genius interested Voidus, forever shall his lurking last, who summoned the man to his palace in the Void, where he discovered that the child was half alley half man, intended to become the Leader that would dim all alleys to dark and defend the DA from spike free cookies. Voidus, forever shall his lurking last, taught the man the ways of the Void, and the man became the leader of one of the most crucial things in the history of the Alleyverse: the Department of Counterintelligence.

An extract from Lopen's first letter to the citizens of TUBA.

Edited by LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian

Thank you! Below is an excerpt from the biography of Lopen, written by Anonymous.

After the unfortunate spiking of his older brother, Hoid, the Dark alleys didn't want to leave behind a promising scientist, so they took in Lopen, and trained them to be one of them. Despite his... unconventional methods, he was one of the most talented hemalurgists in the alleys. He wandered the alleys, becoming familiar with many of the different disciplines such as zoohemalurgy, intelligence hemalurgy and many others, until he was picked up as a protege by Mac. The Gentleman hemalurgist brought him into the Department of Counter Intelligence to be his right hand man. After it was dissolved, he became the First Disciple of Mac, ardently following the philosophy of Mac. His current whereabouts are unknown, but chances are he is doing something really awesome.

• 1 month later...

Random question: If I were to chip off a small piece of the world spike and put it in someone through the same process as the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz thing, ignore this if you haven't read it) would it work the same way? Also, if one person had allomancy, would that allow everyone to have a tiny bit of allomancy? I'm unsure how it would work in terms of actual powers. The Worldspike is similar to the Worldspire in some regards, so I figured that if I did some meddling I could make it work that way.

10 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Random question: If I were to chip off a small piece of the world spike and put it in someone through the same process as the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz thing, ignore this if you haven't read it) would it work the same way? Also, if one person had allomancy, would that allow everyone to have a tiny bit of allomancy? I'm unsure how it would work in terms of actual powers. The Worldspike is similar to the Worldspire in some regards, so I figured that if I did some meddling I could make it work that way.

Keyword there being 'if'
Possibly, but also if you chip a small piece of it off you might destroy the universe. And whoever you stuck it into would also be part-universe. So that would have some interesting effects.

5 hours ago, Voidus said:

Keyword there being 'if'
Possibly, but also if you chip a small piece of it off you might destroy the universe. And whoever you stuck it into would also be part-universe. So that would have some interesting effects.

It's incredibly big, right? I can't imagine chipping off a small piece of it would be enough to destroy the universe. I'm not sure that the person would be part universe, depending on the actual traits contained in the spike. If it has universes in it, which ones? And which one is it spiking in to? If it's just holding the universe together, what are the specific traits, and how easy would it be to remove the negative traits and keep the (insert cosmere word here, maybe connection)?

29 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

I can't imagine chipping off a small piece of it would be enough to destroy the universe.

Chip off the small wall between the two parts of a heart and the person dies, despite that piece being so small.

How do you know the part you chip off of the Worldspike is not essential?

9 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Chip off the small wall between the two parts of a heart and the person dies, despite that piece being so small.

How do you know the part you chip off of the Worldspike is not essential?

Cause it's a hemalurgic spike, and the power is spread equally throughout it. Also, I can't imagine the chip would be any larger than what just falls off naturally of a normal spike, to scale.

Edited by Kidpen

7 hours ago, Kidpen said:

It's incredibly big, right? I can't imagine chipping off a small piece of it would be enough to destroy the universe. I'm not sure that the person would be part universe, depending on the actual traits contained in the spike. If it has universes in it, which ones? And which one is it spiking in to? If it's just holding the universe together, what are the specific traits, and how easy would it be to remove the negative traits and keep the (insert cosmere word here, maybe connection)?

It's fairly massive, but breaking even a small piece of the thing that's holding a universe together is usually not such a great idea.
A random universe (See OP)
Removing specific parts from a spike would be a very difficult task to undergo, maybe the DA could manage it.

But I'd say what you're probably looking for are conjoined spikes, very rare but not thing-holding-the-universe-together rare.

Now, if you took a spike with an ability in it, and melted it, and melted a piece on the top of the world spike and made it into a single spike, the universe would get the power, also it may affect people. I do not advise doing this either, we may have to get a simulation done, How fast could we get an alternate universe going @Voidus? An hour, 2?

8 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Now, if you took a spike with an ability in it, and melted it, and melted a piece on the top of the world spike and made it into a single spike, the universe would get the power, also it may affect people. I do not advise doing this either, we may have to get a simulation done, How fast could we get an alternate universe going @Voidus? An hour, 2?

Another one? I made one for R & D just yesterday!

Some day you guys are going to have to learn that you can't keep blowing up universes.

But yeah fine I'll get another one ready for testing.