Miscon 2018

Jess

22 hours ago, Jess said:

Only a week away and still no thread! Surely there are a few more Montanans lurking here?

I'm coming for sure! I've been telling Brandon to come to Montana for a very long time. (Though I typically told him that he should come to Bozeman, where I am, haha.) @Windrunner is hopefully coming too. I'm staying at the Con hotel. It'd be great to meet you, @Jess. Usually I drive from Bozeman to Salt Lake, so it is luxurious to just have a three hour drive to Missoula to see Brandon. I'll arrive early Friday afternoon, I imagine.

I'm currently trying to craft some top tier questions for Brandon...

2 hours ago, Glamdring804 said:

I'm coming! I'll be camping in the family camper. I also have my own list of question, though it's a bit outdated, so I'll need to clean it up. I'm also trying to hurry up and finish my reread of Oathbringer before Friday.

Excellent, glad to see you can make it :D 

On 5/21/2018 at 11:57 AM, Glamdring804 said:

I'm coming! I'll be camping in the family camper. I also have my own list of question, though it's a bit outdated, so I'll need to clean it up. I'm also trying to hurry up and finish my reread of Oathbringer before Friday.

On 5/20/2018 at 7:09 PM, Chaos said:

I'm coming for sure! I've been telling Brandon to come to Montana for a very long time. (Though I typically told him that he should come to Bozeman, where I am, haha.) @Windrunner is hopefully coming too. I'm staying at the Con hotel. It'd be great to meet you, @Jess. Usually I drive from Bozeman to Salt Lake, so it is luxurious to just have a three hour drive to Missoula to see Brandon. I'll arrive early Friday afternoon, I imagine.

I'm currently trying to craft some top tier questions for Brandon...

Oh cool! I'm also in Bozeman actually, but this'll be the third time I've gone to Miscon (and I only missed last year because of a good friend's wedding) and knowing what the Con is like, I'm not at all surprised it's happening there instead. I too am staying at the Con hotel! I would definitely be down for some kind of 17s mini-meetup or something.

I definitely know the first question I want to ask, but beyond that I'm not sure how many would be reasonable to prepare...

If anyone at Miscon has the chance to ask a couple of extra questions, I think these would be awesome to hear the answers to:

1. Would a spanreed in Shadesmar be able to communicate with its conjoined spanreed in the physical realm? Irrespective of whether it works or not what would the spanreed look like in Shadesmar? (Possible follow-up, best would be to here Brandon's unprimed response. Would the trapped spren be fully encapsulated in the gem, or would just a piece of the spren be imprisoned in the gemstone?)
  2. If a Dysian Aimian was an Elsecaller, would they be able to transition just a single Hordeling to Shadesmar?
  3. What level of spren are the long legged Storm Striders that walk in the center of the highstorm?
  4. Who would win a game of 3 Dimensional chess, Cultivation, Odium or Autonomy? Is there another shard that could beat the Victor?
  5. Is the Haunted man in the Nicki Savage story, the ghastly gondola, using Selish Investiture to power his strange glowing rune covered devices? If he is, how is the haunted man able to access the Dor on Scadrial? Does he have access to liquid Selish Investiture like the Ire in Mistborn Secret History, or is there another means of accessing the Dor on a different planet?

13 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

If anyone at Miscon has the chance to ask a couple of extra questions, I think these would be awesome to hear the answers to:

1. Would a spanreed in Shadesmar be able to communicate with its conjoined spanreed in the physical realm? Irrespective of whether it works or not what would the spanreed look like in Shadesmar? (Possible follow-up, best would be to here Brandon's unprimed response. Would the trapped spren be fully encapsulated in the gem, or would just a piece of the spren be imprisoned in the gemstone?)
  2. If a Dysian Aimian was an Elsecaller, would they be able to transition just a single Hordeling to Shadesmar?
  3. What level of spren are the long legged Storm Striders that walk in the center of the highstorm?
  4. Who would win a game of 3 Dimensional chess, Cultivation, Odium or Autonomy? Is there another shard that could beat the Victor?
  5. Is the Haunted man in the Nicki Savage story, the ghastly gondola, using Selish Investiture to power his strange glowing rune covered devices? If he is, how is the haunted man able to access the Dor on Scadrial? Does he have access to liquid Selish Investiture like the Ire in Mistborn Secret History, or is there another means of accessing the Dor on a different planet?

I have a word document of questions. I'll throw these on, but be warned, he generally doesn't like people bringing questions from the Shard. He prefers that people bring their own questions.

It's more than he doesn't like people just grabbing random questions from "the list". As long as you like the question you are asking, and you have a reason to be asking it (whether it is because you are pushing for some theory or just because you think it's cool), I think he'd be fine. 

This is my list of questions, should anyone feel like asking them :D A few are spoilery so I put them behind tags.

Does a region's cultural identity ever have anything to do with their sDNA?  Example, people expect Alethi to be tall, so they are more likely to be tall?

Spoiler

How many times did a Herald break and allow the Fused to return to Roshar between the beginning of the Oathpact and Aharietiam?
Where the Fused looking for Elhokar/Hoid's Cryptic when they were breaking down the walls of the Kholinar palace, or were they looking for something else?
Hoid's stories about the Girl Who Looked Up and the moons/Queen Tsa--are they metaphorical, or referencing actual historical events?

Does a person need to die before they can become a Cognitive Shadow, or can they create one while they're still alive?  And is a Cognitive Shadow a copy of the Cognitive Aspect or the Spiritual Aspect (because you've said both, and we weren't sure which one is canon).
Is a perfect gemstone required to imprison very powerful spren?  Or sapient spren?  (Chaos said to remind him of this one in May)
Is the Shard that wants to hide and survive the same as the one that's off in space somewhere?

Do different gemstone cuts affect how much stormlight they can hold?

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Does a person need to die before they can become a Cognitive Shadow, or can they create one while they're still alive?  And is a Cognitive Shadow a copy of the Cognitive Aspect or the Spiritual Aspect (because you've said both, and we weren't sure which one is canon).

I think the misunderstanding here is that Brandon has used the word "soul", which I think he uses a little loosely when he's not paying attention. It's a good thing to clarify nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Do different gemstone cuts affect how much stormlight they can hold?

I think we know this to be the case, yes.

As always, my own list is in my signature (though I am not fully done scratching out the questions I asked at JordanCon). 

1 hour ago, Argent said:

I think the misunderstanding here is that Brandon has used the word "soul", which I think he uses a little loosely when he's not paying attention. It's a good thing to clarify nonetheless. 

I think we know this to be the case, yes.

As always, my own list is in my signature (though I am not fully done scratching out the questions I asked at JordanCon). 

Yeah I want clarification. I mean, "Cognitive Shadow" seems to imply it's a Shadow of the Cognitive Self. But then when Brandon talks about it, he talks about it being a soul (or the copy of a soul). So it's confusing.

I've looked for an answer to the gemstone thing, and haven't found it. Be much obliged if you had them to hand or could show me.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

Yeah I want clarification. I mean, "Cognitive Shadow" seems to imply it's a Shadow of the Cognitive Self. But then when Brandon talks about it, he talks about it being a soul (or the copy of a soul). So it's confusing.

I mean, it would have to be the soul, wouldn't it? When you use Investiture, it doesn't pass through your mind, through your Cognitive Self (usually?), it rubs elbows with your soul, your Spiritual Aspect. So once you are gone, that soul imprint stays behind, and your mind either get anchored to it instead, or it gets a new mind. But it's confusing, I agree.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I've looked for an answer to the gemstone thing, and haven't found it. Be much obliged if you had them to hand or could show me.

Here's a couple of relevant WoBs:

Alteroden

With Stormlight, the better the gem is cut, the less Stormlight it leaks, and the longer it holds its charge. If a gem was perfectly cut, on a molecular scale, would it leak Stormlight at all?

Brandon Sanderson

In a theoretical flawless gem, then no it would not.

Alteroden

Would it actually give off light?

Brandon Sanderson

[...] Theoretically no it would not, but it's not what you're thinking...

Alteroden

No no no, that’s not what I’m thinking, I figured that’s something totally different.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, actually, it probably would still give off light, because it's drawing out of the Spiritual Realm. So I’d say it still lights, but it doesn't leak. The leaking is not where the illumination is coming from. The illumination is coming from a direct... It's basically a light bulb screwed into the Spiritual Realm.

source

Questioner

What is the gem cut that holds the most Stormlight, and does it vary from gem to gem?

Brandon Sanderson

It does vary from gem to gem, and... I've got this written down somewhere... I am going RAFO, because it's more of a "go to my notes and find out."

source

1 hour ago, Argent said:

I mean, it would have to be the soul, wouldn't it? When you use Investiture, it doesn't pass through your mind, through your Cognitive Self (usually?), it rubs elbows with your soul, your Spiritual Aspect. So once you are gone, that soul imprint stays behind, and your mind either get anchored to it instead, or it gets a new mind. But it's confusing, I agree.

Here's a couple of relevant WoBs:

I've read those. In the first one, they're talking about stormlight leaking, not amount of stormlight. In the second one, he says the amount variesfrom gem to gem, not necessarily from cut to cut. You know I'm into gems ;) So I want to know for sure :)

17 minutes ago, Dah Pie said:

I'm excited to be able to go to my first signing at MisCon. I have a bunch of questions to ask about Iron feruchemy. Before I ask him does anyone know if an iron mind gets lighter when a skimmer is storing weight?

The metalminds themselves, clothing, any items carried, etc, do not get lighter or heavier. In Book 2, Sazed addresses this when they're going to the Conventical.

Anyone going to MisCon, add me on Discord or PM me contact info. Seems like quite a few members are going so we should definitely meet up and/or go to a group lunch or dinner.

Sure I'd also love to get my pet theory about Odium absorbing the greater part of Ambiton's power get shut down. Some recent WoBs seem to be indicating against it but I can always ask at least. I'm Brainless on discord I'll DM you there.

10 hours ago, Dah Pie said:

Sure I'd also love to get my pet theory about Odium absorbing the greater part of Ambiton's power get shut down. Some recent WoBs seem to be indicating against it but I can always ask at least. I'm Brainless on discord I'll DM you there.

Brandon's said that Odium would not ever take the power of another Shard, if that helps.

So here are some of the WoB's I've asked that haven't been recorded.

Me: can an iron feruchemist through the constantly storing and tapping weight become a sort of sevant and be able to store the weight of their metal mind's?

Brandon: that would make things a lot easier for me. So sevanthood wasn't something that I planned for Feruchemy because there are positive and negative magic systems and Feruchemy is neutral. Though thinking about it tapping and storing in a metal mind is kind of like stretching a balloon. But it wasn't in my original outline

Me: So in Mistborn era one Trellgisem is dualistic religion worshiping Trell and his brother Nalt. Trell seems to be significant in the cosmere is Nalt also signifegent in the Cosmere?
Brandon: Yes they are
Me: *digging for a RAFO* The Trell we see in White Sands isn't just a coincidence though?
Brandon: Trell was in the first book I wrote and I deliberately chose to keep him in the graphic novel interpretation

Alright, WoBs from my signed book. For the first one (Elantris), the question was "Could you Soul Forge a Nahel Bond?" The last word is "circumstances." The second question was "What does the Ire's Investiture drink taste like?

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine: I managed to ask the first question on your list. It got me a RAFO card. ;)

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG