The nahel bond / crazy people

Adamalisium

I'm new here to the forums so sorry if this is something that has been brought up before but I haven't heard anyone talk about. So this insmy thought on how the spren choose people and how the nahel bond connects humans to spren. So my theory started recently in my millionth reread of WoR when Kaladin says tonSyk that he is no knight, that he is broken. Syl replies to them that all of the knights radiants are broken, much like Kaladin and shallan and even Yv from the interlides was in his youth. The next part that grew my theory was when Szeth is sitting in top on Urithiru and mentions how the town's people leave out spheres for him to use and mentions he burns through them to fast since he has" to I'm perfect a body". The last part that goes into this invloves Mistbirn Secret History and Keliser and crazy people. He can only interact with crazy people and syas that they have cracks in their spirit. So my theory is after I've already made this way to long a post is this, the Soren watch people who are " broken" or have "cracks" in their spirits, they watch them.closley because these are the people they can not only see more clearly in the coginitve real but also because it is easier for them to bond with them the same was as it's easier for Keliser to talk to crazy people. I think that this also has to do with why they can burn storm light more effectively since the nahel bond fills in the cracks in the spirit web in the cognitive real bringing making them partially begin to bind spiritually with a Soren that is made of and lives if investiture.

Sorry for rambiling that out and not really getting my points across it's late here in the east coast, it's much clearer in my head. Still I would love to hear what you think, looking forward to being part of the forums.

Welcome! I haven't read all the books you mentioned, so I skipped over some of the bits that might spoil stuff for me. As a result, I can't answer your question. 

A good place to ask hard questions is the Q&A section. There's usually some pretty knowledgeable people who will give you an answer. Another resource you might try is the Arcanum (see links dropdown for the link) which is a collection of transcripts of recordings of Brandon answering fan questions among other things. 

Welcome to the Shard! We’re glad to have you here. What you said seems interesting, makes sense to me. Don’t know if it’s correct or not, but Archer pointed you to a good place. The Q&A is a great place to go for this. On a side note, who is your favorite Sanderson character?

From my understanding of it you are some what correct the spren do mostly form the nahel bond with people who are "broken" as these people do have cracks in their spirit webs that are easier filled by the bond. Though I think this isn't a set rule and some nahel bonds can be formed to people who are not broken.

Welcome to the Shard!

Brandon has said that all magic systems in the Cosmere require that your soul be 'cracked' in some way in order to let the Investiture in. However, it doesn't always have to be as dramatic as what's happened with certain Surgebinders on Roshar, or the kind of snapping that people go through in Misborn Era 1.

Jeremy (paraphrased)

We know that Mistborn needed to Snap, and Surgebinders needed have the cracks in their souls filled. But what about the people in Warbreaker or Elantris? Is cracking and snapping only required on certain worlds?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

This is universal to the cosmere; however, in certain magic systems / on certain worlds, this is easier than others.

source

AndrewStirlingMacDonald (paraphrased)

Is being a little bit crazy a prerequisite to becoming a Knight Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Well, so, for many of the cosmere magics to work, you have to... it has to get into the soul somehow. Right? Sometimes you ram it in by spiking someone else's soul and ripping off a piece and sticking it into yours. Sometimes, it just seeps in the cracks. Sometimes the bond allows it to kind of bypass some of this, but it's usually traumatic experience. So crazy is not required, but there's got to be a place for the magic to go, to get in.

source

Brandon has also tried to be very careful in dealing with mental issues as a part of the person rather than as a flaw that needs to be 'fixed'. Here's a WoB on the subject if you're interested.

Now, on the question of Szeth and his 'imperfect body', there's actually something else at work there. He's using an Honorblade to gain his Surgebinding powers and those are less efficient than the same powers granted by a Nahel Bond. Brandon has said that it has to do in part with the spren permeating more deeply into the soul, so you get more efficient use of Stormlight and more effective healing among other things. Also, because the Heralds used to be able to draw Investiture directly from Honor, so Stormlight didn't matter to them. Anyhow, Szeth is definitely 'cracked' enough that he can become a Radiant in his own right (see the end of WoR) but it doesn't have anything directly to do with his imperfect ability to hold Stormlight during the first two books.

Yeah sorry I didn't realize explain properly what I meant by including Szeth. I was just mentioning with him that whiteout through nahel bond And the spren filling in the cracks in his spirit web he didn't have the same connection to shadesmar and same conduit to investiture. 

And this is very off topic but just came to mind thinking Bout honor blades, what ever happened to Talns hibirbkade. Dalinar had binded it but never used it's abilities And then when he binded the storm father he still heard screams coming from the blade he had took from talk, does this mean it wasn't his hinorbkade but a sharblade the same as Nale carries both? Or am I just remembering wrong?

5 hours ago, Adamalisium said:

Yeah sorry I didn't realize explain properly what I meant by including Szeth. I was just mentioning with him that whiteout through nahel bond And the spren filling in the cracks in his spirit web he didn't have the same connection to shadesmar and same conduit to investiture. 

And this is very off topic but just came to mind thinking Bout honor blades, what ever happened to Talns hibirbkade. Dalinar had binded it but never used it's abilities And then when he binded the storm father he still heard screams coming from the blade he had took from talk, does this mean it wasn't his hinorbkade but a sharblade the same as Nale carries both? Or am I just remembering wrong?

The Blade he took from Taln wasn't an Honorblade but a regular Shardblade. At some point by persons unknown the Blades got switched.

Yeah, there are hints dropped that the blade Taln carried at the end of WoK and the blade that Dalinar bonds in WoR are not the same sword, most obviously is that they don't look anything alike. Taln's blade is described as narrow and shaped like a spike, the one we see in WoR is wide and cleaver-like. Another clue is that the blade that Dalinar bonds screams in his mind, which makes sense for a dead Shardblade but not for an Honorblade. We don't know who switched the blades or when, but we know it wasn't Hoid.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic