[OB] Geopolitics of Roshar

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Geopolitics of Roshar

Wow, that must have taken some effort. I really enjoy this sort of speculation on Brandon's wonderful; world building ^_^.

A few things i'd like to point out:

• I seem to recall a thread from a couple of years ago were there was a general agreement that the size of the Roshar super continent was about the same as Eurasia or 10,000km across (a resent reddit thread using OB info puts it about 7,500km across including aimia). I did some rough math with that in mind and it turns out that the OB hardcover jacket map has a scale of about 220-280km per centimetre. That makes some of your small passes 100-300km across :P. More defensible than 1000+km but still not small, even for nations that can field armies of 100,000+ men.
  • You forgot about soulcasters. i suspect that the ability to soulcast food changes its geo-political importance somewhat. 
  • Another possibility for Thaylenah is to colonise the Frostlands, i suspect they are underpopulated.
  • Trade with the Reshi isles could be very profitable, in the same way trade with Indonesia was very profitable in our world for a while (gotta get those spices for the men's food from somewhere right?).
  • I'm not sure you can describe Azir as a desert. A desert implies low rainfall, less than 250mm according to Wikipedia. A typical highstorm must deliver at least 50mm every time it comes through. As we know Shinovar is the only place that doesn't see the highstorms and it isn't a desert. I think it is fair to say that there are no deserts on Roshar, at least as we define them on earth.
  • Highstorms also make availability of fresh water a non-issues for anyone with the basic infrastructure (roof + water tank) to collect rainfall. 
  • I imagine Azir being sort of like the Holy Roman Empire, everyone like to pretend it is one sate when it is convenient while acting like a bunch or separate states when it isn't. Azir does seem to lean more towards the unified state end of the spectrum tho.

Okay so that was more than a few points. Do any of these change your model?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 2:13 PM, SnopyDogy said:

That makes some of your small passes 100-300km across

Thanks for the info on the size of Roshar as I couldn’t find that before but I think my point about relatively small passes still stands through looking at Earth- Russia has always wanted to control Poland because that’s the point where the great Eurasian plain begins to widen out and is thus the last point where access to the Russian heartland can be easily defended. It’s still a few hundred kilometres but that’s far better than the thousands it becomes and that theory works here as well.

As for soulcasters that’s a bit harder to imagine- the way I’ve thought about it is that there just aren’t very many soulcasters; there are enough to make grand imperial structures in capitals and to at a stretch stop a city from running out of food in a siege but not really to be able to feed an entire country. Especially in vorin nations wih their treatment as religious items I doubt they’d be used to mass produce food even if they could so nations still need to secure food sources for their populations

My vision of the frost lands puts it at something like Siberia, so sure Thaylenah could colonise it but it wouldn’t give them the food they need- the only reason Russia took Siberia was to create a buffer region between them and the nomadic warrior tribes and Thaylenah I would say has less need of this due to the defensibility of being an island nation. It is possible though that if relations with the Alethi sour and they begin to fear an invasion that they claim the southern frostlands but this seems unlikely as things stand.

You definitely have a point on fresh water, I’ll edit that on the op- even so Azir controls the defensible mines at Zawfix and so that’s probably a trump card they can use,as well as being central, big and historically powerful. Would you say Azir more resembles a savannah than a desert? Tashikk after all seems to have flora analogous to antelopes

I think there are some parts of Makabak that are highly dependent on Azir like Tashikk, Alm, Desh and maybe Emul but there are some western states that due to cultural differences, remoteness and independent economies/foreign policy  like Liafor, Steen and maybe even Yezier that could assert full independence. It’s a question of whether the Makabak empires integrated economy is worth submission as if they chose to rebel it would be very costly for Azir to hold onto them.

As for the Reshi spice trade, are we sure there are even spices there? If so I think it’ll be a contest between the northwestern nations to dominate that trade route (because the north eastern nations are either focused on the south or like Tu Bayla not interested in the sea or really foreign powers at all) and establish trading colonies- rira seems best placed as it has a port city in the middle of the reshi sea.

4 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

As for soulcasters that’s a bit harder to imagine- the way I’ve thought about it is that there just aren’t very many soulcasters; there are enough to make grand imperial structures in capitals and to at a stretch stop a city from running out of food in a siege but not really to be able to feed an entire country. Especially in vorin nations wih their treatment as religious items I doubt they’d be used to mass produce food even if they could so nations still need to secure food sources for their populations

It's actually specifically mentioned that the Alethi army at the Shattered Plains has only been able to stay there for five years because they use soulcasters instead of (yes, instead of) supply caravans.

5 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

It's actually specifically mentioned that the Alethi army at the Shattered Plains has only been able to stay there for five years because they use soulcasters instead of (yes, instead of) supply caravans.

That’s something that needs to be worked out then- clearly agriculture exists and it wouldn’t if soulcasters could provide food for an entire nation but how much can they do- also how available are they; the only confirmed soulcasters are Alethi (I’m estimating theirs at five or six), Azish (the coppermind says a few) and a single liaforan one. If they can do things like supply food for an entire army then it’s imperative that we have an idea of what they can do on the grand scale because that’s vitally important to the geopolitics of the continent. If every country with a soulcaster can eliminate the costs of buying materials and export all their surplus then they would become economically unbeatable. If the small scale scamming of Lin Davar is all anyone has ever done with something that could make him basically an independent ruler I will be so confused. Can someone please clarify?

13 hours ago, MadhavDeval said:

That’s something that needs to be worked out then- clearly agriculture exists and it wouldn’t if soulcasters could provide food for an entire nation but how much can they do- also how available are they; the only confirmed soulcasters are Alethi (I’m estimating theirs at five or six), Azish (the coppermind says a few) and a single liaforan one. If they can do things like supply food for an entire army then it’s imperative that we have an idea of what they can do on the grand scale because that’s vitally important to the geopolitics of the continent. If every country with a soulcaster can eliminate the costs of buying materials and export all their surplus then they would become economically unbeatable. If the small scale scamming of Lin Davar is all anyone has ever done with something that could make him basically an independent ruler I will be so confused. Can someone please clarify?

I believe the Alethi have several dozen soulcasters, actually. Remember how a whole bunch came with the expedition to the center of the Shattered Plains, and that was most likely not all of them, considering six of the highprinces and the king (who owns the soulcasters and rents them out) all stayed behind.

• 2 weeks later...

The limiting factor with the soulcasters are gems. The Alethi army on the Shattered Plains would not be able to maintain their strength in numbers without the chasmfiend hunts. Those hunts provide the Emerald needed to soulcast food in a quantity that sufficiently feeds an army. However, the effects of the Vengeance Pact seems to be hunting the beasts to extinction.  The gemhearts being found are much smaller than what the army encounters upon their arrival at SP. So where do the gems come from? What are the other sources of gems on Roshar? Are the mines in Azir a source of minerals used in soulcasters? 

10 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

So where do the gems come from? What are the other sources of gems on Roshar? Are the mines in Azir a source of minerals used in soulcasters? 

The Coppermind is a great resource for questions like these: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Polestone

While polestones are produced via mining, a significant source of them on Roshar is the harvesting of the gemhearts that grow inside greatshells. Larger species of greathshell, like chasmfiends, produce gemhearts of great size, which are incredibly useful in Soulcasting as a larger stone is less likely to break from the strain.

8 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

The Coppermind is a great resource for questions like these: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Polestone

If that is indeed the case then Roshar is about to have problems everywhere in regards to shortages. A nation has to have their farmlands if it expects to feed its people. Wars will have to be fought the old fashioned way, with supply lines and whatnot.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:20 PM, MadhavDeval said:

you can soulcast pretty much any resource, but it takes a lot of gemstones to produce large amounts. So, you can get needed materials in a pinch, but you can't sustain an economy long-term that way. I believe their presence changes little on large scale economy.

as for your analysis, I only have one remark: near the end, you say that taylen may conquer the frostlands against vorin expansionism. I doubt it. taking lland on the continent would give alethi troops the chance to face the taylens on land, which is exactly what they want to avoid. I would say, even if alethkar claims the frostlands, they'd still be unable to invade. they could certainly organize a landing across the longbrows strait, but the taylen navy could then arrive and plug the gap, leaving the invasion force isolated. without influx of reinforces and materials, an alethi invading army would be lost. it is more or less a similar situation with the siege of great britain during the world war: hitler could have sent troops across the strait, but they would have remained isolated as soon as the royal navy arrived to disrupt suppplies across the english channel. soulcasters could mitigate tthe need for supplies somewhat, but still, there is a limit to how long an army can go

20 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

taking lland on the continent would give alethi troops the chance to face the taylens on land

I was thinking they’d nominally conquer the lands and post a small force there to monitor alethi behaviour, and if alethkar ever went for the frostlands, though the thaylens could never hope to win on their own, they could claim that alethkar had violated their territorial integrity and get foreign allies involved before alethkar even got close enough to threaten Thaylenah itself. 

To even attempt the attack on Britain, Hitler both needed to control France and have a navy strong enough to facilitate this invasion. Thus I’m saying that the thaylens will preclude the threat of a frostlands based alethi navy getting strong enough to attack by making sure it never exists in the first place by denying them access to the frostlands.

• Chaos locked this topic