World Hoppers on Bridge 4

MistGyorn

Has anyone ever asked if there are any world hoppers on bridge four? It sounds like the kind of question that would be RAFO'd anyway but I thought I would ask. I am reading WoR again and I just feel like Bridge Four is such a prominent part of the books that there has to be something there that isn't blatantly obvious. Someone like Teft who has such a mysterious past and seems to be older mentally than he is physically. Then there is Lopin who came into bridge 4 with almost no fear or concern for what was going to happen to him. Then the way he talked his way into bridge 4. I think there may be more to him than what we know in these books. 

All the examples mentioned so far have clear roots in Rosharan culture. Lopen for example is clearly a native, not only does he have the Herdazian fingernails (which come from his ancestors interbreeding with the Parsh) but, well, he has a mother. Kind of hard to imagine him as a worldhopper. Teft's got a background too, etc. They have a worldhopper observing them (Nazh, pretending to be an ardent in order to get close to them during WoR) but none among their number that we can determine. Just being important doesn't mean worldhoppers have to be directly involved. Case in point, the entire Kholin family.

I dunno about Bridge Four, at least the original crew that was already there when Kaladin joined; but there's a suspicious new member of Bridge Thirteen in Oathbringer (who would have joined after Dailnar took them over) who struck Dalinar as "a little off". He smells of off-planet to many people.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Lyn feels incredibly genuine, and also not that experienced, so I doubt she is a worldhopper. 

Adding to this, we learn a bit more about her in Oathbringer and it pretty definitively establishes her as a Rosharan native.

Spoiler

She's clearly chafing under Vorin gender roles and has apparently been wanting to push those boundaries for a long time. She even calls another female recruit a 'cheater' for having secretly practiced with a spear from a young age, wishing she'd thought of it herself. Her conversations with Shallan and then various members of Bridge Four are, as Toaster Retribution says, incredibly genuine. None of this gives the impression of someone from another world and on the contrary are pretty firm in establishing that she's Rosharan.

She also doesn't exhibit any of the typical worldhopper traits like an appearance that doesn't quite fit in, or unusual expressions or speech patterns.

6 minutes ago, Xtafa said:

Welllll

OB spoiler:

Hide contents

He ISSS technically King of Alethkar now

Technically he was the King of Alethkar. Kind of. Brandon has said that during the end of WoR he convinced Elhokar to abdicate for a short time (or that's how he sees it at least) as part of hiding him. But he isn't the King any more and even the claim that he was King for a time is... arguable. But one does not argue with The Lopen...

Oh, and getting to the original observations about him, Brandon has said that Lopen wasn't planning to get into Bridge Four, it was basically an accident that he then made the best of

• Chaos locked this topic