Mistborn Adventure Game -> D&D Conversion, ideas and input appreciated

Dellexe

Hey 17th Shard, I started myself on a bit of a lengthy project, converting the rules for Mistborn Adventure Game to the Dungeons and Dragons format, specifically, Fifth Edition, as it is the edition I am most familiar with. 

I've completed some rough drafts for most of the Allomantic powers, with the exception of Atium, Lerasium, Cerrobend, Cadmium, and the God-Metal alloys. I know for sure that they'll have to be revised a lot more, but to refresh my brain I decided to start thinking about some Feruchemical powers, specifically Feruchemical Gold, and I've run into a bit of a problem. 

In typical D&D play, as players advance from level 1 to level 20 they gain HP, and quite a lot of it. Generally at level 20 a character will have well over 15 times their level 1 HP.

In typical MAG play, health doesn't change that much, with someone maybe doubling their health over the course of a long campaign. 

This is causing a bit of a problem with figuring out rules for Feruchemical Gold healing, especially Compounding. In MAG, restoring 6 HP via Compounding is always going to be a massive chunk of HP no matter what, because HP stays fairly consistent in MAG. 

I've already lined up some equivalents for damage in D&D versus MAG by comparing the weapon damages of items like daggers, clubs, and swords. +1 damage in MAG seems to be about 1d4 in terms of D&D. The easy solution, therefore, is to make the 6 HP restore of Feruchemical Gold equal to 6d4, which averages to around 15 HP restored. For a lower level character, up to level 5 or 6 (depending on class and physical scores), that's a comparable chunk of HP regeneration to how it's intended to be in MAG. As levels progress, however, it rapidly becomes a smaller and more negligible amount. 

Any ideas, folks? I have a couple, but since I'm diving more into homebrew and winging it here, rather than just converting distances and action economy to 5e terms, I'd like some external input. 

Also, I'm assuming posting my conversions here would be frowned upon because in this early rough draft stage a lot of text is directly copied from the MAG rulebooks rather than reworded or abridged. If I am mistaken, please let me know, and I'd be willing to PM users my conversions if that's allowed. 

I've just considered a similar project myself :D
I'd love to read what you have but yeah if you have large sections of the MAG copied then making that public is probably going to be an issue.

I'll preface this by saying I've never managed to get a MAG group together so I haven't gone through the mechanics in much detail but would it be possible to convert it into something like spell slots? Maybe use the warlock spell slots as a progression guide and Cure wounds as a base level guide for how much healing is appropriate at what levels.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

I've just considered a similar project myself :D
I'd love to read what you have but yeah if you have large sections of the MAG copied then making that public is probably going to be an issue.

I'll preface this by saying I've never managed to get a MAG group together so I haven't gone through the mechanics in much detail but would it be possible to convert it into something like spell slots? Maybe use the warlock spell slots as a progression guide and Cure wounds as a base level guide for how much healing is appropriate at what levels.

Same here, I have a regular D&D group that I'd probably be able to play with if I converted the rules though, part of my motivation for conversion. 

I like that idea, make it work like Cure Wounds+Feruchemical Gold modifier for each equivalent spell level, up to 9. Adding the Gold Mod to each d8 healing for consistency. 

So levels 1-2, 1d8+Gold Mod 

Levels 3-4, 2d8+ 2(Gold Mod) 

etc. 

From levels 1 to 2, assuming a gold modifier of +3  (as Keepers begin with a rating of 3 in all metals. I'm translating the Rating system from MAG to work the same as a modifier in 5E, so a 5 Rating would be the equivalent of a 20, with a +5 modifier), it'd heal an average of 8.5, a full heal for squishies like Sorcerers and Wizards, and a solid 1/2-2/3rds heal for the d12 and d10 hit die classes like Barbarians, Fighters, and Rangers. 

From levels 3 to 4, keeping the gold modifier of +3, it'd heal an average of 15, still a great chunk. 

Levels 5 to 6, bumping modifier to +4 through advancement, average healing of 25.5

Levels 7-8, 34 healing average. 

9-10, 40.5 with a +4, or 45.5 with a Gold modifier bump. 

Seems pretty reasonable so far, I'll put together a graph of average class health with various constitution modifiers and compare it to the average healing from this system. I'll probably balance it around the d10 hit die, since in a true Mistborn campaign setting the classes would be Barbarian (D12), Rogue (D8), Fighter (D10), and non-magic Ranger(D10). 

EDIT: So do you believe that sending links in PMs would be acceptable? I could send you an example to judge. 

EDIT #2: Here's a quick chart, using a D10 hit die with a constitution modifier of +2, using the default of 6 for the d10 roll for levels 2 through 20, compared to the concept you put forward. 

PplE79u1038sBt-H2DWUWpUgPFblN0FFCW05yOWyjfWKEUFlYX1L-i9vtffJIqNA4-xRnsASc55xd7ain6HW-xl4Xec3_AYB6O5yMUj4n4dwIKCR1Zdi45SEmNC5VCqKY0CBhpU

As you can see, it pretty steadily falls off rather than staying consistent, especially for levels 17 through 20, where spell levels plateau. I've got to sleep now, it's 3AM, but in the morning I might try a model with 8.5 average healing, rather than 7.5, simulating a d10+3 instead of a d8+3. 

Edited by KalaDellexe
Didn't want to make ~~second~~ THIRD post.