Geck0Boy

I am currently reading the Era 2 books in the Mistborn series. And although it talks a lot about twin born related stuff, I still find compounding very confusing. Like... wat? How is another metal created? Can someone just clear it up for me... 

Thanks I’m advance! :P

Welcome to the Forum!

So, you need to be able to use Feruchemy and Allomancy on the same metal (for example, Miles with Gold, Lord Ruler with all metals).
Let's take as example Miles Hundredlives.
He could normally burn Gold, which would show him an alternate version of himself.
However, if he stores Health inside said Gold, it becomes a Goldmind. If he now burns this said Goldmind, it doesn't give the normal Allomantic effect anymore, but it is like a new metal. By burning he get's the stored attribute, in his case Health, about ten times back.

If you want more details about it, I suggest you go to the Coppermind Wiki and search for Compounding!

Welcome!
Each metal in Allomancy acts as a kind of gateway, only allowing a specific power to flow through it, but if you charge a piece of metal with feruchemy it changes the shape of that gateway so instead of the gateway being the one that lets through magic to see your alternate selves (Allomantic gold) it becomes a gateway that allows it to store the feruchemical ability (Healing) so when you burn it with allomancy you get healing instead of the normal allomantic effect.
Likewise if you store speed in a piece of steel then burn that then the gateway changes from one that lets you push on metal to one that gives magical speed.

It doesn't actually change the metal itself, just what power you get out of it.

5 hours ago, Geck0Boy said:

I still find compounding very confusing. Like... wat? How is another metal created?

Basically as Thunder_93 said, it doesn't actually create a new metal. You short circuit the system so that the Allomantic Metal would give the Feruchemical power.

Burning metals draws power from Preservation/Harmony. That raw power gets filtered based on the metal being burned, so that it knows whether to give Steelsight or Pewter strength. It basically says "Oh that's steel? I know how to do that" and then grants you steelsight. But by burning a Metalmind full of a Feruchemical attribute, the power sees something different. It then goes "Oh that's Health? I know how to do that" and then grants you a lot of health.

Also, welcome to the Shard

It's a little confusing the way Sazed explained it - Compounding doesn't "create a new metal" in the sense of "it is no longer gold", in the case of Miles, but in the sense that a Compounder is able to burn a metalmind in a way that is different from other Allomancers.

One thing I always wondered: can a Compounder burn one of their metalminds for its Allomantic property alone, eschewing the 10x or whatever Feruchemical burst?

When Vin burned Sazed's earring pewtermind, she could sense but not touch "a reserve of power" that "did not belong to her" - Sazed's Identity-linked Feruchemical store of physical strength. But, she DID still get the normal use of the pewter as an Allomantic metal.

So, could a Compounder "type cast" the filtered investiture to be the Allomantic flavor, but still get the 10x burst? That could be interesting for metals where the Feruchemical attribute is significantly different from the Allomantic power it gives, such as steel, if a steel Compounder had the option of getting a 10x return on his stored speed, or a 10x super-flare of a Steelpush, by burning a steelmind.

4 minutes ago, robardin said:

One thing I always wondered: can a Compounder burn one of their metalminds for its Allomantic property alone, eschewing the 10x or whatever Feruchemical burst?

I don't think they can. This isn't definitive, but...

yurisses

If Miles stored a very tiny bit of health into a gold bead and then burned it, what would happen? Would he see goldshadows for a time and then obtain Compounded health when reaching the charged part of the bead? Would the bead be evenly charged and deliver only health, no gold shadows, but at a very low rate since only little health was loaded in it? Would the bead be evenly charged and deliver only health, but at a standard rate the user would always get when compounding?

Brandon Sanderson

He'd hack the system to deliver health for a short time instead of doing what it was supposed to do, but only until the small portion of gold Invested with his Investiture ran out.

@The One Who Connects I think It's possible and Indeed the most likely outcome of burning a Metalmind if you can't performe whatever metal effort you Need to do for Compound.

Remember that Compounding isn't the default outcome of burning Metalminds. The user have to provide "something" (I can't honestly say what...maybe a specific intent or mental Image) to make that happen. Otherwise you will only gain the standard Allomantic outcome

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just want to make sure I understand how this works. With Miles Hundredlives, he always drew his health from metalminds to stay alive. When he Compounded his health, would the process go like this?

1. He stores health in a metalmind.

2. He burns the metalmind, releasing the stored healing energy and more.

3. He stores that energy in another metalmind.

4. He repeats the process until he as almost infinite amount of healing.

This is how I always imagined it, just want to make sure it is correct.^_^

Edited by TJtheWiz

50 minutes ago, TJtheWiz said:

So, I just want to make sure I understand how this works. With Miles Hundredlives, he always drew his health from metalminds to stay alive. When he Compounded his health, would the process go like this?

4. He repeats the process until he as almost infinite amount of healing.

This is how I always imagined it, just want to make sure it is correct.^_^

Yep, that's it.

8 hours ago, Quickbronze said:

I always assumed that he could just let it flow into him directly, rather than storing it and then tapping it, if he needed to do so. That might not be true though.

He could burn gold constantly if he wanted to, but compounding produces far more health than is needed. Plus continuously burning gold were be too expensive. If the Lord Ruler is any indication, the easier way to compound is to spend some time in meditation, during which you're storing health, burning gold to produce large amounts of health, storing that excess health, then burning gold again to produce even more health, repeat for awhile, then store all the excess. Afterwards, he's constantly pulling from the massive health reserve he created earlier. 

It wouldn't be something to constantly do, no; on top of the problems mentioned above, that would also waste a lot of health. It would be only something to do if he was already injured and in combat, and would prefer to heal as fast as possible.

44 minutes ago, Quickbronze said:

It wouldn't be something to constantly do, no; on top of the problems mentioned above, that would also waste a lot of health. It would be only something to do if he was already injured and in combat, and would prefer to heal as fast as possible.

Not quite. Miles is always tapping at least a little health. Tapping the extra health makes him feel even better, to the point that he doesn't want to ever go back to normal. Almost made it sound like an addiction. 

15 hours ago, Quickbronze said:

I always assumed that he could just let it flow into him directly, rather than storing it and then tapping it, if he needed to do so. That might not be true though.

That's easily doable. Just start TJ's process and don't finish.

If you don't do step 3, then the health would just heal you.

• Chaos locked this topic