Long Game 45: The House War

Straw

@Sart - What about being a pinch hitter instead then? Or is it a pitch hitter? I'm never quite sure.

@Straw - Is anything being done about inactives? I only ask because I recall a previous House War game where I was the only active member of my House.

Edited by Bort

1 hour ago, Bort said:

Is anything being done about inactives? I only ask because I recall a previous House War game where I was the only active member of my House.

The rules state that anyone not posting for two cycles dies, and that a random member of their house then gains an allomantic ability to compensate:

If you do not post for two cycles in a row, you will die. If a player dies from inactivity, a random player in their faction will gain an allomantic ability.

So, if someone is the only member of their faction that is active, they will collect everyone's allomantic powers? Yet, I am assuming they will still be limited to the same number of actions as everyone else, putting the house with inactives at a distinct disadvantage.

Or are actions (excluding votes, I assume) numbered per house, and not per player?

I'm just wondering how much this has been considered.

@Bort First of all, please note that if a player dies from inactivity, a random player in their faction would gain a random allomantic power. They wouldn’t necessarily collect the powers of everyone else in their faction. Additionally, due to the fact that they would be the smallest house, they would also gain (or have a chance to gain) an allomantic power every other cycle. So, while the player would be limited in actions, they would still have a far bigger range of options.

@Straw Thanks for the reply. Ok, so random ability, so it's more like a compensation than a consolidation. That's fine.

I'm not so sure on the second answer though. Say a house has 3 players, and they get two actions each. That's six actions per cycle. If a house has gone mostly inactive and left just one player active, that one player might have access to four or five allomantic abilities, but their chances of winning the house war are negligible, since compared to every other house, they have far fewer actions. Maybe more options for a single player, maybe not more options than a house.

Have you considered setting the number of actions that can be taken as per house, instead of per player?

@Bort Actually, there’s a reasonable probability that that player could survive. After all, they would have a reasonable chance of getting an extra life, and their usefulness would cause each house to be wary of lynching them, over fear that they might side with a different house. While it would be quite difficult for that player to win, they might be able to manipulate other house into attacking each other, resulting in a situation where their abilities would give them an edge over the remaining players.

I would also like to note that this mechanic isn’t intended to make a single player incredibly powerful if their entire house died to inactivity at the same time. The mechanic is intended to soften the loss of a player, and empower the remaining members of the house, thus reducing the likelihood that they’ll go inactive.

Sign me up as Mark! Because I can't think of another name. :P

•If you do not post for two cycles in a row, you will die. If a player dies from inactivity, a random player in their faction will gain an allomantic ability.

•Every other cycle, a random player from the faction with the least players will gain an allomantic power.

So, if the smallest group has all appliances Allomancers, does one of them just get two abilities for the rest of the game?

So, a player could gain two or more abilities and not be mistborn right? Because my first instinct was to stick to canon.

I know it's mentioned above, but I just wanted to be sure.

Edited by Mark IV
Autocorrect

@xinoehp512 A pinch hitter is a spectator who can replace an inactive player. Depending on the number of players, I will decide if there will be pinch hitters.

I also would recommend reading the SE Rules. If you have any confusion regarding other terms, you can find them in the SE Lexicon section. The SE Rules can be located here: 

41 minutes ago, Straw said:

Due to low amounts of players, I’m delaying the start of the game until we have at least 20 players. Also, the spectators are welcome to join the game, I’ll just make a new spec/dead doc after the game starts.

@Elenion @Kidpen @Fifth Scholar @Walin  @randuir @Sart @Droughtbringer @xinoehp512 @Snipexe

Yeah, alright. I didn't know how long to expect LG44 to take, but it happened quickly. So I'll join as Amati (I might just have this be my name always). I want to try this type of game anyway.

Alright, I'll join for sure. Good thing LG44 ended literally the day before this one starts! Copy-pasted from earlier in the thread is my character info:

I'm going to play as Torden, a Misting whose studies of water and steam made him give himself the honorary title of Blank Misting. However, he might also have Allomantic powers granted by Snapping via a steam explosion that occurs at the start of the game. Like, exactly at the start. He wakes up, nearly dead, but recovers. Allomantic powers somehow get discovered instantly, if he has them, because he has a lot of metal around him at most times.

Metal pipes hold pressurized water much more easily than glass, he would think, remembering a day where he finally remembered to wear protective eyegear and avoided becoming a Glass Inquisitor.