Clod is Arsteel?

While I was listening to Warbreaker, I noticed that Clod was described as being as fast as Denth, or almost as fast. So I was thinking... is Clod Arsteel? That whole thing about Denth buying Clod might just be fake news, even though Denth, Tonk Fah, and Jewels (or however you spell that) are always treating Clod like a piece of machinery, this might just be because they have experience with Lifeless. What are your thoughts? 

1 hour ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

While I was listening to Warbreaker, I noticed that Clod was described as being as fast as Denth, or almost as fast. So I was thinking... is Clod Arsteel? That whole thing about Denth buying Clod might just be fake news, even though Denth, Tonk Fah, and Jewels (or however you spell that) are always treating Clod like a piece of machinery, this might just be because they have experience with Lifeless. What are your thoughts? 

I actually had never caught that. Nice!

I'm reminded of that one episode of Star Trek TNG where Data confirmed that he was 'fully functional'. The episode ended with Yar going 'we're gonna forget that happened, okay?'.

Anyhow, a few WoBs on Arsteel/Clod that are interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

Lightsong Sees the Lifeless and Takes Command of Them

They keep them in the dark. This is a bad idea. They don't realize it, but the Lifeless are far more aware than everyone assumes. Clod in this book is a foreshadowing of that, and there won't be much more about it in the rest of the novel. It's one of the focus points for the sequel, if I ever write it. (Which will actually have a Lifeless as a viewpoint character, if I can find a way to swing it.)

source

Brandon Sanderson

And by the way, we don't see Tonk Fah, Jewels, or Clod again in the book. They'll come back in the sequel. Without Denth's control, Tonks is off to start murdering and killing wantonly; by the next book, he'll have changed quite dramatically.

Jewels, on the other hand, is taking Arsteel (Clod) to his brother, who is a master of Lifeless Commands. (Yesteel invented ichor-alcohol.) She hopes to find a way to restore to Arsteel some of his memories and personality.

source

Joeh42

In Warbreaker, is Clod the Lifeless body of Arsteel? I like this idea because Arsteel would have had some Breaths within him when he died, as this is how Vashir defeated him and Denth, and this could help explain why he seems to be a little more self-aware than most Lifeless. Could you respond to this idea?

Brandon Sanderson

I confirmed in the Warbreaker annotations that Clod is Arsteel.

Clod is more self-aware than most Lifeless. There is something left of Arsteel within Clod. The Breaths that Vasher gave him when he killed him do have an effect on this.

source

Arsteel/Clod would also be a Lifeless Returned; does that count for anything?

Maybe not, since he's not much larger than normal Lifeless the way a Returned would be to a person, though Denth didn't lose control of his suppressed Divine Breath or physical form as he died (only his hair changed color).

Hmm, what if another Returned gave up his/her Divine Breath to create a "Lifeless" from a dead Returned like Blushweaver?

On 5/13/2018 at 10:52 PM, RShara said:

Hmm, what if another Returned gave up his/her Divine Breath to create a "Lifeless" from a dead Returned like Blushweaver?

There could very easily be a command like "return him" or something like that. Perhaps it would take more than one divine breath, but it seems possible. 

Edited by teknopathetic

1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

There could very easily be a command like "return him" or something like that. Perhaps it would take more than one divine breath, but it seems possible. 

Mmmmm....I'm not the one that asked that.

So much of what we know about the rules of breath came from Denth when he was deceiving Vivenna, which cannot necessarily be trusted. As we know now that there is a way to give a portion of your breath to someone else rather than all of it as Denth lead Vivenna to believe. We really need to sort through Warbreaker and determine what we learned from Denth and separate that from everything else we know.

17 hours ago, Random Reader said:

I think that the divine breath can only be used for healing.

That's certainly one of the ways that Divine Breath functions, and the only one we saw in Warbreaker, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. As the saying goes, "there's always another secret."

There is clearly something different in the Divine Breath of a Returned from the ordinary Breath of a Nalthian. It's not just a super-Breath as a splinter of Endowment, it has different properties.

It powers a dead person's Physical body back into being alive, while also "deifying" it.

On its own, it grants the Fifth Heightening, and can be "suppressed" somehow, as we see Vasher and Denth do.

They use the same Command to pass it on to another person as with ordinary Breath, which kills (super-Drabs) the Returned (returning it to a dead state) while also draining it of color... Upon which the recipient is (involuntarily) healed, including "restoring" functionality of a faculty they never developed (as in Susebron being able to use his regrown tongue immediately), rather than gaining a Divine Breath. It doesn't make a normal person into a Returned, nor can one "stockpile" DBs as commonly done with ordinary Breaths. (I don't think Susebron now has two Divine Breaths because of Lightsong... Or does he?)

So it stands to reason that one could use other Commands than "My life to yours, my Breath become yours" with a Divine Breath, even if they'd behave differently than the same Command for ordinary Breath. Maybe one that would enable stockpiling them?

Edited by robardin

It is possible to Awaken an object using a Divine Breath, but we've been RAFO'd on whether one could be used to create a Lifeless.

Cheese Ninja

Is it hypothetically possible to Awaken an object using a divine Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

source

Questioner

Can you use a Divine Breath to Awaken a Lifeless?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

source

• Chaos locked this topic