Is One and Autonomy the same?

So 1st off I would like to say that I might be miss remembering things, so i apologies ahead of time. 2nd I apologies for my terrible spelling. With that being said, lets jump right in.

While listening to some shardcasts I remember someone mentioning that Autonomy might have a whole bunch of pieces of himself running around, and they might not all get along with one another, or have the same opinions. Almost like all these different pieces of its self are...Autonomous :lol:.

Well this led me to remember one of the preludes in WoR,  talking specifically about Ym the Cobbler. Ym starts to tell a boy about how in his religion everyone is a part of god, he says He believes, long ago, there was only one being which he simply calls One. One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience is different, it brings completeness to One. Eventually, all will be gathered back in when the sum of land is attained and they will once again become One. Every person is a different mind of a single being experiencing different lives. As Many, they need ignorance. Each fragment of the One’s mind has its own body with different passions and inclinations. They exist in variety to experience all kinds of thought. That means some people must know and others must not. Just like some people must be rich and others poor. This is why he is interested in collecting other people's experiences. It is likely that this belief is the same one spread by Arlco. - From the coppermind

Now I have learned in my years of reading Brandons work that when a character says,, HAY listen to this story about my religion, That is Brandons sly way of saying, this is a cosmere thing, ignore at your own risk.

So my questions. Do you think Ym might have been a part of Autonomy that somehow made his way to Roshar? Do all pieces of Autonomy know they are pieces of Autonomy? Is One and Autonomy the same thing, but with a different name? What about Arlco and Axies the collector, could they be apart of Autonomy?

Edited by OmegaDarkMatter

That's definitely a possibility, that it's a Shard who has Invested in the Iriali people, and they worldhop from planet to planet. And it would indeed fit with how Autonomy has been known to meddle in other worlds. I don't see the connection with the Aimianss, though; could you elaborate on that?

An alternate interpretation is that this is a form of the God Beyond belief that is making its way through the cosmere:

Ward

When Harmony Ascends, he admits he doesn't have a good view of the Spiritual Realm. Does he develop a better one over time? And are there other Shards that already have a very good view of that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. But it is still something that is hard to grok, so to speak, in-canon, *inaudible*, hard to understand. But he has a much better understanding, and the other Shards, some of them have a very good understanding. The thing is, the difference between the Spiritual Realm and the Beyond is not something that is immediately obvious.

Ward

So, the Spiritual Realm is not the Beyond?

Brandon Sanderson

No, Spiritual Realm is not the Beyond. There are three Realms of existence. The Beyond, some would say... There are philosophers would would say, the Spiritual Realm and the Beyond are one, that the soul gets sucked into and joins the Investiture. That's the idea of the One. But, most people would say the Beyond is not...

Welcome to the Shard!

Yeah, the One in the Iriali beliefs could be a Shard that sent them on their Long Trail (whether Autonomy or one of the unknown six) but it's also possible that it's another take on the God Beyond/Unknown God that we've seen mention of on Scadrial, Threnody and Sel. Or it could even be a reference to Adonalsium, assuming it and the God Beyond aren't one and the same by different names, but that's one big mass of RAFO that's unlikely to ever be answered)

There's some nice resonance between what Ym has to say about the One and particular interpretations of Judaism where God created the universe in order to understand himself, and how everything within it will eventually return to God and a state of perfect understandiing. Babylon 5 borrowed the idea for Minbari religious philosophy too.

Hay Thanks for the replies, and not just laughing my idea off the forums, really appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I don't see the connection with the Aimianss, though; could you elaborate on that?

Ok so a big part of this will depend on your willingness to accept several, admittedly far fetched ideas, So yea...

So Brandon likes to really stretch the idea of what shards are all about right? like preservation not only wanting to stop things from coming to an end but also stop things in general...from doing anything...like a toy collector that never removes any of his action figures from the box?

Well i posit that shards dont always manifest there powers the same way on every planet. We know that on white sand Sand mastery is linked to Autonomy and is how he manifests his influence there but Stormlite kinda has this theme of metamorphosis or evolution. Enter the Dysian Aimianss, they can split office pieces of there body into hordelings - coppermind

In this way they are kind of doing what Autonomy did, splitting off into little Autonomous pieces until they can reform. This doesnt seem to fit Honor or Cultivation MO on how they manifest there powers so I feel like this is a good explanation to why they are so different.

But why Autonomy, you may ask. Well I think that Autonomy is a goth kid. ok ok ok let me explain. Autonomy can be defined as ``freedom from external control or influence; independence. ``- websters. Would it not be in Autonomys MO to look at how other powers try to stay relatively the same on other planets and say, ``nahhh we be crab people over here``?

As far as the Siah Aimianss go. If there power was from Autonomy as well, there bodies seem to work almost separate from them. `` Siah Aimians, who are characterized by deep blue nails and eyes, have been known to sculpt their bodies to temporarily suppress their senses (e.g. to avoid smelling foul odors), produce tattoo-like markings on their skin, or heal from injuries. They also cast shadows in the wrong direction - Coppermind`` One might say that there bodies act like there own entities. with its own rules. This would also explain why Axises has to ``mold`` his body and cant just think, I need my nose to clog up.

IDK let me know what you think

Edited by OmegaDarkMatter

I was always of the opinion that the one was the so-called survival shard, and it had done something similar to autonomy but on a scale much larger, separating into so many avatars that no one has full awareness of themselves as splinters.

• Chaos locked this topic