[OB] Hoid the Radiant in the Secret History

Merrickz

So I'm going through Mistborn again, and I've just finished Era 1 and before the delights of Wax and Wayne, I thought I'd listen to The Secret History. I've just passed the bit where Kelsier talks to and then fights with Hoid and during the fight, it's stated that 

Finally Drifter hauled him up, limp. The man's eyes were glowing.

So obviously we know that Hoid has a spren now (as of the end of Oathbringer) however it appears in this fight, which is far earlier in the overall timeline than OB he can take in stormlight/surgebind. This also seems likely as he spends the first half of this fight in a fairly equal position to Kel and then suddenly he is pounding him into the dirt (or magic preservation goop I suppose). So in the hour or so since I listened to this passage I have come up with 2 theories

1) Hoid can slide backwards and forwards in time. This isn't a particularly good theory as I believe that Brandon wouldn't include time travel in his work as its a bit too Sci-fi for this point. However, if any author could do it properly it would be Brandon

2) Hoid has been around during the time of a previous desolation and bonded a spren. Now, this I could see Brandon doing, it's been stated in a previous WOB that I can't be asked to find that it is possible to bond multiple spren if they find you worthy. Therefore I believe that this is what happened and that old Hoid could one day show up with a couple Spren friends (Spriends if you will)

Also, I did have an idea that Spanky (His corpse raft) is actually his spren. It can interact with the Cognitive realm with no problem because it's a cognitive being.#

Anyway, that's my theory what do you think. Has this ever been addressed in a WOB? If so could someone link it I'd love to know

10 minutes ago, Merrickz said:

1) Hoid can slide backwards and forwards in time. This isn't a particularly good theory as I believe that Brandon wouldn't include time travel in his work as its a bit too Sci-fi for this point. However, if any author could do it properly it would be Brandon

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is there time travel in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

We haven't seen time travel into the past, but we have seen it into the future in Alloy of Law.

So nope.

13 minutes ago, Merrickz said:

2) Hoid has been around during the time of a previous desolation and bonded a spren. Now, this I could see Brandon doing, it's been stated in a previous WOB that I can't be asked to find that it is possible to bond multiple spren if they find you worthy. Therefore I believe that this is what happened and that old Hoid could one day show up with a couple Spren friends (Spriends if you will)

No. Just no. Just very obviously no.

It's... it's just a phrase. It does not mean his eyes were really emitting light.

Also, Brandon very explicitly said there is no travel back in time in Cosmere.

Xluxaeternax

Is the chronology through the whole cosmere fairly linear, or are there some Interstellar-relativity timey-wimey stuff at play?

Brandon Sanderson

Relativity is in play for sure, but I am not allowing time travel into the past in the cosmere. So while you might find places that move at slower/faster speeds, and while foreseeing future timelines is in play for sure, nobody will not be pulling serious time travel shenanigans.

source

Questioner

If some of the cosmere books are set in different times in the cosmere, can Hoid time travel?

Brandon Sanderson

Not go backwards.

source

Those two should cut it.

18 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It's... it's just a phrase. It does not mean his eyes were really emitting light.

I assumed it literally meant glowing.  I've heard of glowering at someone, but not "glowing eyes" as a phrase.  Maybe "glowing with pleasure" or something, but that doesn't really seem to fit either.

Also, eyes are kinda important, soul-wise.  They glow magically, burn out from shardblades, hint to people you're terrifyingly old, etc.

I agree time travel is out (at least....for now) and think instead it might be a side effect of Hoid's "I have trouble hurting people" geas. 

Edited by Zellyia

Don't forget that Hoid had just gotten to beat someone senseless, which he's physically incapable of doing normally. He even admits he found the experience quite satisfying. There's no particular reason to think that his eyes were glowing because of a Nahel Bond and Stormlight when it already works as a figure of speech and fits what Hoid said immediately after Kelsier made that observation.

Also, Hoid hardly needed any kind of Investiture to smack Kelsier around and Stormlight isn't the only thing to cause glowing eyes anyhow. And we know he had some other (definitely non-Rosharan) form of Investiture he was using to traverse the Cognitive 'mists'.

Fair point, it is quite unlikely that the double bond thing is the case as it seems Hoid probably wouldn’t waste his time getting 2 spren as he appears to be after a bit of each investiture type so 2 Nahel bonds is a bit redundant.

Either way I just wanted this theory on record just in case this theory comes true. Thanks for the sources and debate. This has been fun :D

• Chaos locked this topic