Kaladin Stormblessed - A 3D project

JessiOchse

Heyo! 
So my partner and I have decided to embark on a little collaboration project to help us hone our craft! It's called Kaladin Stormblessed - Bridge four' and the goal is to create the character of Kaladin (Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series) from concepting phase all the way to animation! If you'd like to follow the process, you can find it here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4ZeJq
Get a look at the complete phase one, and keep a look out for more as we make our way through the phases and document it as we go! 

No Idea where else to post this project on here, so for now I'll leave it here!  Perhaps post some up dates in this thread as well. 

kaladin splash v7B.jpg

@Parttimedragon that is freaking awesome!

I love the Kaladin expression character sheet, really nice line work and great 3-dimensional visualization of Kal's face. The deformations of his face for each expression retain the same volume, and the planes of his face move perfectly. Really nice character study.

I saw in your original model study that you were trying to figure out where his torn pants should end. If you are modeling in a program that has cloth effects and a suitable linkable physics simulator, it would be awesome to have his pants end just below the knee in ragged strips, that way you could have some pretty awesome trailing secondary animations features that allow the dynamic action to extend a little longer. Like after Kaladin does a swirling sweep with his spear, the tattered cloth would still rotate after the main motion is complete until the force of rotational torque acting on the tattered cloth has dissipated.

Definitely post updates on this thread, I'm following it and am excited to see how this turns out.

Thanks so much guys! We're super keen to share the whole process with you. 

Being in our own little industry in South Africa, we're also incredibly excited to document every step of this process in hopes to show all that goes into creating a character for 3D as well as show you a bit of what goes into the couple of shorts we will be making with him! If you have ANY questions, we're super keen to answer them!

Our goal is to then potentially move onto a couple of other characters (we have a few in mind) from the cosmere and some from other places. We hope to use each of them to their full potential :)

I will use this place for important updates if anyone remains interested, either way, we're glad you seem keen!

Many Thanks

Edited by Parttimedragon

6 hours ago, Parttimedragon said:

Our goal is to then potentially move onto a couple of other characters (we have a few in mind) from the cosmere and some from other places. We hope to use each of them to their full potential :)

Hopefully one of those other characters you have in mind is Szeth, with the opening scene from Way of Kings done to the tune of “the Assassin in white” from the Kaladin soundtrack, because Storms somebody really needs to do that. ;)

Eagerly following every step in this project (and future ones)! :)

3 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Hopefully one of those other characters you have in mind is Szeth, with the opening scene from Way of Kings done to the tune of “the Assassin in white” from the Kaladin soundtrack, because Storms somebody really needs to do that. ;)

Eagerly following every step in this project (and future ones)! :)

Completely unrelated to the topic, but I went and listened to that song, and I definitely agree that song needs to be played with the scene where Szeth kills Gavilar. Also, on my computer, the first recommended video that isn't another song from the album is a video of the JFK assassination. I felt that was pretty funny, considering Szeth is an assassin.

Also, @Parttimedragon, I can't wait to see more of this animation stuff!

• 2 years later...

Hey I'm new to the community and I just wanna say that I'm really impressed with your designs. I'm a hobbyist 3d designer I was wondering if I could use them as an inspiration for this short animation I'm making. It's gonna be about the scene where Kaladin fights off the Shardbearer that was attacking Amaram