title3.jpg

"A clever mortal fears the night without a hint of sweet moonlight. On such a night, each step you take might catch you in the dark moon’s wake, and pull you all unwitting into fae. Where you will have no choice but stay."

A troupe of Edema Ruh performers were traveling by night through a forest, and have been caught out on a night with no moon. The realms of the Four Corners and Fae have become meshed together, and nobody can quite tell the two apart. Time also is uncertain, as the forest has remained in a state of evening since the troupe's arrival.
Strangers walk among the troupe, clothed in glammourie. Some may be relatively benign, as fae go. Others are quite literally the demons from folklore. In the distance, there looms a gargantuan tree, lush with dense foliage and brightly colored flowers, wreathed in a warm, welcoming light. Beckoning you to come take refuge in its branches and sustenance from its flowers…

If you guys enjoy playing this game at least half as much as I did building it, I will consider it a success.

Big thank you to Randuir, for stepping up to help GM this game.

Without further ado, here is the game:

Rules

Spoiler

May be accessed here.

Clarifications

Spoiler

Do anonymous messages count as PMs for purposes of Cthaeh's spying ability and the evil team's unfortunate inability to PM each other?
They are counted as PMs for both of those purposes, yes.

Does Scyphus's upgraded kill affect everyone that targeted the kill target, or just one additional player?
Everyone that targeted the kill target.

Cast

Spoiler

1. Elandera as Ahnya, who bears an unspecified affiliation with fire
2. Eternum as Enerin, whose history with the troupe remains a Mystery
3. Droughtbringer as Pyra Mainiak, firestarter
4. Aonar Faileas as Aorais Kipthorn, firestopper
5. Devotary of Spontaneity as Gaskana, fire juggler
6. Walin as Nelden Dastardly, choir conductor
7. Fifth Scholar as Marne, ex-scholar and firefighter
8. Snipexe as Snip, the juggler
9. Alvron as Laon, who lives in a tree like our good friend Cthaeh
10. Steeldancer as Squick, a magical squid
11. Megasif as Mega, a prefix denoting "extreme"
12. Xinoehp512 as Reyalp Nwoknu, a most excellent Mysterious Stranger
13. Arinian as Ray Fox, inventor of the Firefox web browser
14. Orlok as Locke, a member of the Lockeless family
15. I think I am here as Itiah II, the second
16. Arraenae as Alev, machete juggler
17. Bort as Master Ash, widely theorized to be Cinder
18. Wonko the Sane as Fifth Daughter Resterford, a Vintish noblewoman who lives with Ruh. Is apparently sane. Like Haliax
19. Cadmium Compounder as Deric Watar, a graphic designer who doesn't like backgrounds
20. Young Bard as Neris, an orphan girl who looks for trouble

Countdown

Spoiler

bla_1526886000.png

Quick Links:

You know.

I told myself that I didn't have time for another game.

I told myself that I would not be playing any more games until after School ended.

I told myself that I would be strong with my resolution to play no more games.

I did not prepare myself for the cool Red Title image. It was too much (I was hooked before I realized that this was a KKC game)

Sign me up as Pyra Mainiak, a young Edema Ruh with a slight love of fire, and a penchant for burning down whatever tent she is staying in.

Really, it'd be nicer for my schedule if this didn't start for another week... We'll make do, I suppose. :P

Aorais Kipthorn, elderly troupe member and talented orator, at your service. Oddly enough, he finds himself almost constantly putting out fires (both metaphorical and literal) among some of the young upstart troupers.... :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Elandera said:

This sounds incredible! I love the Kingkiller Chronicle. I'll join as Ahnya.

3 hours ago, Eternum said:

Oh, no. I want to join, but the LG..

Oh, to Damnation with it! :P Joining as Enerin.

2 hours ago, Droughtbringer said:

You know.

I told myself that I didn't have time for another game.

I told myself that I would not be playing any more games until after School ended.

I told myself that I would be strong with my resolution to play no more games.

I did not prepare myself for the cool Red Title image. It was too much (I was hooked before I realized that this was a KKC game)

Sign me up as Pyra Mainiak, a young Edema Ruh with a slight love of fire, and a penchant for burning down whatever tent she is staying in.

1 hour ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Really, it'd be nicer for my schedule if this didn't start for another week... We'll make do, I suppose. :P

Aorais Kipthorn, elderly troupe member and talented orator, at your service. Oddly enough, he finds himself almost constantly putting out fires (both metaphorical and literal) among some of the young upstart troupers.... :ph34r:

Glad to have all of you. I hope this game does not disappoint.

6 hours ago, Darkness_ said:

Drake is officially evil.

I am not Evil, but I am definitely evil, yes.

58 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Now I want to murder Drake. I almost hate him... I don't have time, but if someone will murder me in LG before this game starts probably I will sign up.

Now I am officially tempted to extend the signups period so Arinian doesn't murder me :)

(actually though, if I continue hearing that people would prefer an extension, I will certainly extend the signups period by some amount)

Edited by Drake Marshall

I can join as Gaskana, a juggler that only ever performs with objects set on fire.

Do anonymous messages count as PMs for purposes of Cthaeh's spying ability and the evil team's unfortunate inability to PM each other? Does Scyphus's upgraded kill affect everyone that targeted the kill target, or just one additional player?

If signups get extended, and if I even have a slight chance of being the Cthaeh, I'm joining. I probably won't be super active especially once I start running my LG, but danggit I can't miss an opportunity to possibly be nefarious neutral! So, I'll be Squick, the fae who seems to have forgotten to bring down his Squid glamour. 

1 minute ago, Kidpen said:

Will this be confusing if I've never read Kingkiller? If probably not, I'll join as Kalmar, a friendly neighborhood Cthaeh(For RP purposes).

If you wan't good role playing, the Cthaeh is certainly a way to go, however you might want to know what The Cthaeh is in the novels before making that decision.

In the spoiler box is a description of the Cthaeh, Im not sure if it counts as spoilers, but It may, so tread carefully.

Spoiler

The Cthaeh is a creature who dwells within the branches of a great tree, located in the middle of a clearing in the Fae Realm. It is either trapped or forced to stay there by the guardians of the tree, The Sithe. It is known to converse with those who approach it, often displaying a sort of omniscience about the world and the life of the visitor.

According to Bast, the Cthaeh is poisonous, hateful and contagious. It can see all possible futures with perfect accuracy and clarity, branching out from a single moment. It uses this knowledge to cause the worst possible outcomes for as many people as possible. In doing so it often reveals information that will hurt and traumatize those who speak to it.

It is said that the Sithe kill anyone who speaks to The Cthaeh, and leave the body to rot. If a bird picks so much as a morsel of flesh from the corpse, it is also killed. This is apparently done to thwart any influence the Cthaeh might have on the outside world.

The Ctheah's tree is used as an artistic symbol in the Fae Realm to warn an audience that a story will have a tragic ending.

1 hour ago, MacThorstenson said:

If you wan't good role playing, the Cthaeh is certainly a way to go, however you might want to know what The Cthaeh is in the novels before making that decision.

In the spoiler box is a description of the Cthaeh, Im not sure if it counts as spoilers, but It may, so tread carefully.

Reveal hidden contents

The Cthaeh is a creature who dwells within the branches of a great tree, located in the middle of a clearing in the Fae Realm. It is either trapped or forced to stay there by the guardians of the tree, The Sithe. It is known to converse with those who approach it, often displaying a sort of omniscience about the world and the life of the visitor.

According to Bast, the Cthaeh is poisonous, hateful and contagious. It can see all possible futures with perfect accuracy and clarity, branching out from a single moment. It uses this knowledge to cause the worst possible outcomes for as many people as possible. In doing so it often reveals information that will hurt and traumatize those who speak to it.

It is said that the Sithe kill anyone who speaks to The Cthaeh, and leave the body to rot. If a bird picks so much as a morsel of flesh from the corpse, it is also killed. This is apparently done to thwart any influence the Cthaeh might have on the outside world.

The Ctheah's tree is used as an artistic symbol in the Fae Realm to warn an audience that a story will have a tragic ending.

Sounds perfect.

Edit: Oh, and the Cthaeh that I'm playing likes to mess with the future via causing fires.

Edited by Kidpen

On 5/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, Straw said:

Can I get a spec doc link?

Certainly, you will have access to the spec doc once it is created.

2 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Will this be confusing if I've never read Kingkiller? If probably not, I'll join as Kalmar, a friendly neighborhood Cthaeh(For RP purposes).

You should probably be fine.

Those who have read Kingkiller may appreciate certain references (I spent an irrational amount of time placing obscure references in the game mechanics), but the game is very much designed to be enjoyable for somebody with no knowledge of Kingkiller (although if you like the setting, you might enjoy the books :)).

Alright, I haven’t read the books, but I’ll sign up as Nelden Dastardly.

He used to be an adventurer, until he took an arrow to the pointer finger. Now he’s a choir conductor, oddly enough. Using a wooden stick grasped between his middle and thumb finger, he can conduct better than those who use pointer fingers to grasp conducting sticks.

And he can do certain tricks that he’d picked up after losing his finger...ones that could decide the balance between life and losing two fingers.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:17 PM, Drake Marshall said:

Certainly, you will have access to the spec doc once it is created.

You should probably be fine.

Those who have read Kingkiller may appreciate certain references (I spent an irrational amount of time placing obscure references in the game mechanics), but the game is very much designed to be enjoyable for somebody with no knowledge of Kingkiller (although if you like the setting, you might enjoy the books :)).

Oh wait, I didn't see the countdown. I'd be inactive the last bit of it if I signed on. I should probably just take a spec link.