Cosmere Thermodynamics in Magic Systems and Planets

Confused

Brandon says the cosmere follows its own rules of thermodynamics. This post explores how those rules might apply to magic systems and planets. Here are cosmere thermodynamics’ four “laws”:

1. The sum of the cosmere’s matter, energy, and Investiture is constant. These substances change form and convert into one another.

2. As a closed system, the cosmere’s entropy never decreases but moves towards equilibrium.

3. The third thermodynamic law states there’s no entropy in a perfect crystal at absolute zero (Kelvin). Is this how perfect gems hold the Unmade in total stasis without an entropy cost (even if not absolute zero)?

4. Brandon says there’s a fourth cosmere law that has to do with Adonalsium.

ASIDE: While not relevant to this post, I speculate the fourth law is an exception to the first law: every substance is inter-convertible EXCEPT substances cannot convert back into the cosmere’s original substance, the “powers of creation.” I believe these powers are the remnants of Adonalsium’s soul; and Shards and magic users pull these powers from his Spiritual Realm corpse. If other substances could convert back into these powers, the cosmere IMO would be a perpetual motion machine that decreases entropy and violates thermodynamics’ second law. If I’m right about this fourth law, the cosmere will instead eventually wind down.

Magic System Thermodynamics

In this WoB, Brandon explains how Spiritual Realm Investiture ensures thermodynamic compliance even with “end neutral” Feruchemy:

[E]ven what they call end-neutral is relying a little bit on the power of Investiture to facilitate. So even an end-neutral magic system as they define it on Scadrial is not actually end-neutral. What you put in you get out, but the power is facilitating that transfer.

This makes sense. Imagine you have ten units of strength you wish to store as Investiture in your metal mind. When you reconvert that Investiture into strength, you get the full ten units back. The thermodynamic problem Brandon addresses is the energy cost of each conversion. Conversions are not free, just like thawing water costs energy. External Spiritual Realm Investiture supplies “the power…facilitating that transfer.”

The alternative would be loss of attributes upon reconversion or cannibalization of the Feruchemical gene. IOW, either some of the metal mind’s stored Investiture or the Feruchemical gene’s Investiture would be used to “facilitate the transfer.” We know that doesn’t happen, and Brandon’s WoB explains why.

A contrary view claims the cost of Feruchemical conversion is itself a storable attribute. Maybe I don’t understand this view, but it seems to violate thermodynamics’ second law (entropy). Either conversion costs energy, or it doesn’t. Brandon says it does, and external power pays that cost. Otherwise, the Feruchemist would have to pay it. IOW, conversion in BOTH directions costs energy – you can’t store and recover that cost in and from a metal mind because it’s already been spent.

Brandon elsewhere acknowledges Spiritual Realm Investiture’s role in the “net positive” magic systems’ thermodynamics. He says the “energy [that] passes through…from another place…is my get-out for the laws of thermodynamics.” This WoB is five years older than the first one, which I believe supersedes this older WoB’s comments about Feruchemy.

Planetary Thermodynamics

I believe every planet needs Spiritual Realm energy to grow, and every planet returns energy to the Spiritual Realm when the planet tips into decline. This follows from thermodynamics’ first law that the cosmere’s Investiture, matter, and energy is constant. Let’s look at Roshar as an example.

When Roshar was young, the planet supported fewer lifeforms than it does now. It takes time to populate a continent, especially one that rises from the oceans after the planet’s formation. Growing that continent and its lifeforms into matter takes energy and/or Investiture. Thermodynamics’ first law means the conversion of energy and Investiture into matter reduces the amount of Roshar’s energy and Investiture.

If Roshar were a closed system, at some point Roshar would cease to grow. It would have insufficient energy and Investiture to support its lifeforms. The lifeforms die (reducing Rosharan matter) and return Investiture and energy back to the system. It’s theoretically possible Roshar never reaches this tipping point because Stormlight is plentiful and may prove enough to support the planet.

But we know planets are not closed systems. They are connected through both the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms. Commerce between planets by itself shifts matter, energy, and Investiture from one to the next

In some ways, the Spiritual Realm acts like a central bank. Planets borrow Investiture from it during their growth phases and return that Investiture when they wane. IOW, the thermodynamic laws apply to the whole cosmere, which is a closed system, and not to individual planets, which IMO are not closed systems.

Conclusion

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this stuff is important. Every magic system IMO must obey thermodynamics. Allomancers and Sand Masters, for example, use their internal body heat to “burn” metals and water (dehydrate). That action kick-starts the magical process. I find “follow the energy flows” is a good mantra for magic system analysis.

Edited by Confused

There is a lot to think through here, but one thing that has been on my mind is people, including Brandon, complaining that Feruchemic Brass (which is in the Cognitive Quadrant) storing heat. Heat is unavoidable part of information and computation. The result is usually referred to by Maxwell's Demon. We can also note how entropy (information) is closely tied to energy (heat). 

On 5/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, Confused said:

4. Brandon says there’s a fourth cosmere law that has to do with Adonalsium.

Personally, I think that this is referring to how information, specifically when relating to sentience, is distributed and changed when investiture is given or taken away. 

The fun thing about thermodynamics is that it really isn't a physical law, but a mathematical law. In other words, despite any differences in the physical laws between our universe and the cosmere, the cosmere should still respect some sort of  thermodynamic laws.

You're right about being careful to define what the closed system is. Since we see communication between the three realms. The closed system must include all of the physical, cognitive, and spiritual realms.

Now here is where we run into trouble, which may not be resolvable without further information. Thermodynamics tells us how a system evolves over time, but it is not clear that the spiritual realm is subject to time or even changes. 

This closed system you're referring to is the cosmere, which includes the Cognitive, Physical, and Spiritual Realms.

The Physical Realm, and all it contains, defines the Cognitive Realm. The Spiritual Realm takes what's in the Physical and Cognitive and then perfects it. Therefore, the Physical Realm defines the extent of the other two realms.

Question(s):

How big is the cosmere? We know from WoB's that the Cosmere is a dwarf galaxy, but that implies that it exists within a larger universe. Is this universe, for scientific purposes, part of the cosmere? As in, do the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms only cover the dwarf galaxy, or do they cover the larger universe as well?

If they don't, then is there some barrier that prevents energy, matter, or Investiture from leaving or entering the cosmere? Does this barrier also prevent outside forces from acting on the cosmeric dwarf galaxy? (and other, similar questions...)

Personally, I prefer the idea that the cosmere is a dwarf galaxy, and only a dwarf galaxy, that may exist within a larger universe (such as ours), but is not effected by nor effecting the universe. This would have the benefits of simplifying the math/science we do involving the cosmere, and (on Brandon's part) reduce the amount of worldbuilding needed.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, SilverTiger said:

Personally, I prefer the idea that the cosmere is a dwarf galaxy, and only a dwarf galaxy, that may exist within a larger universe (such as ours), but is not effected by nor effecting the universe. This would have the benefits of simplifying the math/science we do involving the cosmere, and (on Brandon's part) reduce the amount of worldbuilding needed.

Well, if we assume that they are alone in the universe.... :)

Honestly, investiture and all "escaping" via the physical realm isn't gonna be as big of a thing until they start exploring space.
Unless there is cognitive life, there's little to no way stuff could leave the cosmere via the Cognitive Realm.
The Spiritual Realm is everywhere at once, so investiture contained within it is always "nearby," so to speak.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, SilverTiger said:

How big is the cosmere? We know from WoB's that the Cosmere is a dwarf galaxy, but that implies that it exists within a larger universe. Is this universe, for scientific purposes, part of the cosmere? As in, do the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms only cover the dwarf galaxy, or do they cover the larger universe as well?

The SR could cover the whole universe with little trouble. The CR only exists where there is thought, but that could work anywhere with little trouble either. The PR is reality, so that does cover everywhere.

I just think it'd be weird for everything to just be in a little bubble that's separate from the rest

• Chaos locked this topic