It's Gonna Be May

Comatose

It's Gonna Be May . . . 

Aladar: The Woman Who is Possibly Also Vivenna

By Comatose

Author's Note

So I've hinted about it to some of you on Discord, and here it is!  My May Aladar fan-fiction.  My plan was to start releasing chapters in serial fashion starting May 1 (tomorrow), and see if I can get through the whole story.  I was hoping to have a buffer at this point, so it may be a little ambitious to post this little four page blurb that I just wrote up moments ago, but what the hay, it's May.  Let's do this.  

I will post the chapters as separate posts, and keep links in a "Table of Contents" here.  Feel free to comment in between chapters.  It's looking like I'm going to be madly rushing to get one of these out a week (especially if I want to do something longer in future weeks), so please forgive the typos and rough patches that will likely result.  That being said, I am totally open to critique and constructive criticism so bring it on!

EDIT:  Looks like once per month might be more realistic with my schedule!

SPOILERS NOTICE:  This fanfic will spoil aspects of Oathbringer.  Some of the dialogue in particular will be word for word.  You've been warned.  

I really hope I'm not going to regret this.  

Table of Contents

Chapter One - Dalinar Kholin is Boring

Spoiler

May Aladar was bored.

That, in and of itself, was nothing new.  One would think being the only child of an Alethi High Prince would have its perks.  Unfortunately for May, most of those ‘perks’ just meant living a life filled with boring events and boring people.  May had taken a small amount of pride in administering her father’s lands while he was away on the Shattered Plains, but even running a Princedom wasn’t exactly exciting.  Apparently, the Almighty had deemed even that too fulfilling for May’s boring destiny, and had seen to it that she be summoned to assist her father at the warfront.

May continued moving about the apartments assigned to her and her father, watching as her servants tried their best to set things into order.  The rooms were spacious, but they were painfully plain compared to the rooms she had left back home. I hate interior decorating.  

“Brighness, would you like the writing desk by the window, perhaps?  The light really is lovely.”

“Sure”.  Others in her father’s party seemed mesmerized by the mythical city of Urithiru, but it would take more than a hunk of rock without functional bathrooms to get May excited.  

A messenger burst into the room, his expression frantic.  May tensed, instinctively stepping back against the wall and shifting her stance in preparation to face a threat.   “What is it?”  The dry tone she had been using with the servants was overtaken by a sudden intensity.  

“Highprince Kholin has sent for your father, Brightness.  There’s been a murder! I…”

“Tell me on the way, I know where to find him.”  Without waiting for a response, May strode confidently passed the messenger, trusting he would fall in line.   Perhaps Urithiru wasn’t going to be so bad after all.  

May tried her best to hold back her excitement as Navani Kholin filled her and her father in.  The messenger’s information had been sorely lacking. Torol Sadeas is dead.  This changes everything.  Had Dalinar finally gotten over his scruples and had is chief rival assassinated?  Or, even more intriguing, could there be a lone killer, stalking Urithiru’s ancient halls in search of blood?  

Navani was just getting to the juicy parts when Dalinar interrupted, sweeping his hand out away from the balcony in a dramatic fashion.  The storming Kholins certainly enjoyed their drama.

“What do I see?”  One of Dalinar’s bodyguards, a herdazian by the look of him, spoke up, and May silently blessed and cursed him simultaneously, thankful he had repeated Dalinar’s question, which she had missed in frustration, and annoyed that someone was indulging whatever touchy feely crem Dalinar was about to pull out of his . . . “I see clouds”.  May rolled her eyes.

“Lot’s of clouds” another of Dalinar’s thugs chimed in.  Where was that renowned Kholin discipline?

“Some mountains too.  They look like teeth.”

“Nah, horns,” the Herdazian argued.

“We,” Dalinar interjected, calling the attention back to himself, ““are above the storms. It’s going to be easy to forget the tempest the rest of the world is facing. The Everstorm will return, bringing the Voidbringers. We have to assume that this city—our armies—will soon be the only bastion of order left in the world. It is our calling, our duty, to take the lead.”

“Order?” May’s father stirred beside her.  “Dalinar, have you seen our armies? They fought an impossible battle only six days ago, and despite being rescued, we technically lost. Roion’s son is woefully underprepared for dealing with the remnants of his princedom. Some of the strongest forces—those of Thanadal and Vamah—stayed behind in the warcamps!”

“The ones who did come are already squabbling.  Old Torol’s death back there will only give them something else to dissent about.”  Thank-you Palona!  May watched Dalinar expectantly, assuming Sebrarial’s mistress had succeeded in turning everyone’s attention back to the murder.    

Instead of doing the logical thing, Dalinar turned his back on everyone, striking a stoic pose as he looked out into the abyss.  Even the windspren seemed to play along, swirling around him in the breeze. Here we go.

“Brightness Kalami,” Dalinar said. “What do you know of the Desolations?”  Yes because a history lesson is just what we need when a Highprince has been lying in a puddle of his own blood for Almighty knows how long.   May only half-listened to Kalami’s rote explanation of the Desolations.  She had gone through enough pointless history lessons growing up with the tutors her father forced on her.  She didn’t need Dalinar storming Kholin wasting her time with fairy tales as well.

“We will have to find a way to stop this from happening again,” Dalinar’s tone grew soft.  He was obviously enjoying having a group of such important people hang on his every word. “We are the ones this world must be able to look to. We must provide stability, a rallying point. “This is why I cannot rejoice to find Sadeas dead. He was a thorn in my side, but he was a capable general and a brilliant mind. We needed him. Before this is through, we’ll need everyone who can fight.”

May’s father stepped forward. She could tell by his posture he was feeling inspired.  ““Dalinar, I used to bicker. I used to be like the other highprinces. But what I saw on that battlefield . . . those red eyes . . .” Red eyes you saw while you conveniently left me behind at the warcamps.   “Sir, I’m with you. I will follow you to the ends of the storms themselves. What do you want me to do?”  May frowned. Her father really was changing.

“Our time is short. Aladar, I name you our new Highprince of Information, in command of the judgment and law of this city.”  May’s jaw dropped. Highprince of Information? Dalinar was giving her father, of all people, Sadeas’s old post? For once she found herself hanging on Dalinar’s every word.  “Establish order in Urithiru and make sure that the highprinces have clearly delineated realms of control within it. Build a policing force, and patrol these hallways. Keep the peace, and prevent clashes between soldiers like the one we avoided earlier.” May immediately began planning how she could use her father’s new position to gain a little bit of excitement.  As Highprince of Information, Aladar would be in charge of policing. Did that mean Dalinar would also give them control of the investigation into Sadeas’s murder?  It seemed like a risk to entrust such an important task another Highprince, but on the other hand, if Dalinar handled the investigation himself he would never stop the whispers that he had Sadeas killed himself.   I’ll have to bring up the subject in just the right way.  Make him think it’s his idea . . .

“Adolin,” May suppressed a grimace as Dalinar turned to his son, the golden boy himself, Adolin Kholin.  May found Dalinar tiresome, but that was true of most people. Her mild distaste for the father was a dun chip compared to the blazing broam that was her hatred for Adolin Kholin.   “See that the armies are put into a training regimen. Count the troops we have, from all the highprinces, and convey to them that their spears will be required for the defense of Roshar. So long as they remain here, they are under my authority as Highprince of War. We’ll crush their squabbling beneath a weight of training. We control the Soulcasters, and we control the food. If they want rations, they’ll have to listen.”

Adolin seemed somewhat uncomfortable, lacking his usual infuriating confidence.  What’s that about?

Dalinar was, predictably, still talking.   “To face the Desolation, I will find a way to do what my ancestor the Sunmaker failed to do through conquest. I will unify Roshar. . .”

Unable to wait any longer, May leaned over to her father.  “Congratulations on your appointment.” She spoke softly, letting Dalinar continue whatever he was going on about.   Aladar frowned, no doubt suspicious of May’s pleasant tone.  “Thank-you. I can’t say I’m surprised.  With Sadeas gone, I’m the logical choice.  I only wish it didn’t mean leaving Sebrarial the Commerce appointment. That oily skyeel is going to squeeze every sphere he can out of us.  We need to stay united against the dark forces rising against us, but surely we can do that without putting him in charge. . . .” May made some encouraging noises and let her father talk.  He deserved a little self-congratulation. After all, even if he didn’t know it yet, he was about to appoint May to investigate a murder.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Two - Babysitting is Boring

Spoiler

May Aladar was bored.  

Thus far, her efforts to influence her father had proven ineffectual, evidenced by the fact that he still had not placed her in charge of the Sadeas Murder Investigation.  She was reasonably confident she was getting close, but that didn't prevent the journey towards reaching her goal from becoming dull.  

Maybe if I spoke with Navani?  Word around Urithiru was that the dowager Queen had Dalinar wrapped around her finger far more tightly than Gavilar ever had been.  Perhaps if May planted a seed with Navani, it would blossom and work its way back to her father through Dalinar.  But was it worth the risk?  What if Navani hated the idea and blocked her?  

Adolin's betrothed was another option, but Shallan Davar continued to be unpredictable, a random element disrupting the well settled dynamics of Alethkar's elite.  May had no idea where to start in influencing the girl, even if she could bring herself to engage someone into more than casual conversation with someone who mooned over Adolin Kholin.  

"Why are you angry?"

May's safe hand tensed.  A young foreign girl wearing an ostentatious silvery necklace over a plain havah was standing several feet away staring at her.  The girl had dark makabaki skin, but strangely proportioned features, and eyes like the Shin.  

"Excuse me?" May kept her tone relaxed, scanning the area for other potential threats she might have missed.  How could she have been so careless?  Normally she was very observant.  

The girl blinked slowly, emphasizing her overly round eyes.  "Hmmmm... was that anger?  Now I'm not sure."

"My emotions are my own business.  Now get lost."  While the girls eyes were light, as a foreigner and a child, it should have been obvious May was far above her station.  

The girl frowned and then broke into a smile, seemingly immune to May's glare.  "You're very unique, you know that?  I like you."  

May rolled her eyes and turned to leave.  Babysitting some weird kid was not a cure for her brand of boredom.  

"THERE YOU ARE!"  Drawn by the shout, May's eyes found a statuesque dark-eyed Alethi woman pushing through the crowd at the entrance of the market.  "Stay right there, you little wraith."  

The girl stuck her tongue out and shouted something in a language May had never heard before and ran off into the tunnels.  

The Alethi woman cursed as she passed, though it was not one May had heard before, and ran off after the girl.  

May took the only option that might lead her to some mild excitement, and followed after them.  As she entered the tunnel, she tried her best to keep up her pace while moving silently.  Thankfully, all of her havahs were specially made out of soft fabrics in a streamlined design to prevent unwanted rustling.  

Thankfully, the Alethi woman did not appear to be trying to hide, for she was sprinting fast enough that May would have lost her otherwise.  May followed the sound of voices into a darkened side tunnel and slowed her pace.  Up ahead, a figure in a strange red mask was holding a sphere lantern aloft, illuminating a darkened corner where several tunnels met.  The masked figure's safehand, covered by a glove, held the girl's shoulder.  The tall Alethi woman stood with her back to May, looking ready to pounce.  

The two adults were speaking, and though May could not understand whatever language they were using, their tones were hushed.  A strange tension seemed to fill the room.  What in the world?  Who were these people, and what did that child have to do with anything?  Was it possible they might have been involved in Sadeas's murder? 

Two men materialized out of the shadowy hall behind the masked woman.  At the sight of the Alethi woman, one drew a sword, and the other held out his hand to summon a shardblade.  Who are these people . . .

Before May could finish her thought, the Alethi woman sprung into motion, moving more quickly than May's eyes could follow.  The man with the regular sword charged first, no doubt hoping to give his companion time to summon his weapon.  Instead of dodging out of the way of the blade, the woman practically dove into its path, taking it through the chest.  In the same movement,she reached out her safehand and wrapped her fingers around her attackers throat, lifting him off the ground.

The altercation had only taken seconds, but that was enough.  The shardbearer started swinging as the blade entered his hand, barely waiting for it to fully materialize.  The woman, sword still sticking out of her chest, twisted in place, dodging out of the way of the deadly weapon, and swinging the body of the first attacker into its path.  The man's eyes burned, but the woman wasn't done.  Spinning, in a display of inhuman strength she heaved the dead man at his companion.  The shardbearer cursed as the body collided with him.  His shardblade vanished as he was knocked to the ground.  

The Alethi woman pull the sword from her chest.  There was no blood.  

Before she could advance and finish the job, something small struck her in the neck, stopping her in her tracks.  The woman's entire body seemed to shiver.  Her skin became translucent, displaying her internal organs, and then she started to melt.  The masked woman, her safehand still on the girl's shoulder, deftly placed a new dart in her blow gun with her remaining hand and raised it to her lips, ready to strike again.  

I have got to get one of those.  May's mind raced.  What kind of poison could melt a person's skin like that?  If it was effective as it seemed, it could be more deadly than a shardblade.  What remained of the Alethi woman seemed to writhe on the ground and her form dissolved, leaving a gelatinous mass.  As the woman's organs melted away, May could see the woman's bones remained untouched, along with what looked like four pieces of metal.  

The masked woman slowly began to back away.  Before she could vanish into the darkness, a beam of light shot out from behind May, and a wall of crystal seemed to materialized out of the darkness to block the masked woman's path.  Soulcasting!

Three young men appeared out of the shadows, from each of the remaining directions.  One walked right passed May, but didn't seem to see her.  They were identical.  

And May recognized them.  

The masked woman cursed and dropped the weapon that had melted her earlier foe.  Blades materialized in her hand, pulled from a cleverly hidden holster in her sleeve that May cursed herself for not noticing.  

"Don't bother" the men said in unison in perfect Alethi.  That made sense, given it was their. . . or his native language.  "I trust you don't think  stupid enough to make my true form visible to you. Hand over the repository and I'll let you live.  Make trouble and . . . well, I think our young friend there can survive having the air around her transformed into oil and set alight.  Can you?"

In the center of the room, the melted mass of the Alethi woman stirred and started to... reform?  They're Radiants!  May realized.  The newcomer had soulcasted earlier, and now seemed to be using a different power to duplicate himself, and the woman must have been using a different power to heal.  But where is her stormlight?  

The woman froze, no doubt calculating the odds of being able to escape the room.  Realizing that the men she was seeing must be some sort of projection, May started searching the shadows around her for any sign of the real Radiant.  Where are you?

"Rust and Ruin take you" the masked woman pushed the girl forward, but kept a hold on her knives.  The Alethi woman, having regained the semblance of a human form while still lacking any identifiable features,  grabbed the girl with roughly one hand, and held up the dead man's sword in the other.  

"Good choice.  Take your lackey and go.  We can dispose of the mess."  The masked woman, keeping her blades handy, reached down to reclaim the weapon that had melted the Alethi woman, but the illusions held up their hands to stop her.  "Leave that."  May felt the woman's pain as she left the weapon behind, and went to check on her companion.  She helped him out from under their dead comparator, and together they fled into the darkness.  

Several moments passed, and all at once the three man vanished with a puff of stormlight.  Next, the crystal wall dissolved, and a fourth man, the same as the three copies, stepped out from behind it.  "The joys of babysitting, eh?  String says she's gone."  There was a buzzing sound, and something that looked like a flattened spider slid along the ground.  Is that a spren?  The man frowned as the thing, still buzzing, crawled up his leg.  "But we aren't alone." 

May swore silently as all three--man, woman, and girl--all turned to face her hiding place.  

22 hours ago, Comatose said:

Chapter One - Dalinar Kholin is Boring

Chapter Two - Babysitting is Boring

I'm sensing a theme here :-)

I enjoyed the initial section where we get May's reflections on the main cast. I thought I had a good idea of where this was headed, and then the chapter took an immediate turn into entirely different territory--and it was loads of fun! a super boring babysitting job. (I'm not gonna argue with May.) I'm looking forward to the next episode. 

Out of curiosity, is the pile of goop supposed to be WalDo or a new, unrelated individual?

15 hours ago, ccstat said:

Out of curiosity, is the pile of goop supposed to be WalDo or a new, unrelated individual?

RAFO!  Man that’s fun.  

I will say there will be both some original characters and some familiar faces showing up in this.  

• 1 month later...
  • Pagerunner changed the title to It's Gonna Be May