Mental Health Awareness

Tesh

For students, talk to your guidance coucelors.  I know that conversation can be intimidating, believe me I know.  But its better to get a handle on a mental health problem early.

I wish I had told someone about my suicidal thoughts in highschool.  I might have been suspended for a week or two, but I would have gotten treatment for my depression then.  And maybe even seen someone about my substandard social skills.  Instead of letting them fester for 3 decades, and only get worse.

Now I'm 31, and only getting treatment after some unhealthy world views have solidified.  That's just another barrier to get past, when I might not have had to do it when I was younger.

@mattig89ch, this is the first time I've seen you around. If you actually haven't and won't read/read Mistborn, then you might actually literally be dead to me. We'll see.

Tesh, if you're trying to tell your parents and they're just brushing you off and ignoring you, then try either setting up a line of communication with a doctor the next time you visit or get your parents to read this thread. Have us talk to them through a PM or something. I'll argue as long as I'm online for you if I have to. My bet is lots of us will. We're your friends and this is serious.

What did your mom say about it? Have you spoken with your dad yet?

51 minutes ago, AonEne said:

@mattig89ch, this is the first time I've seen you around. If you actually haven't and won't read/read Mistborn, then you might actually literally be dead to me. We'll see.

Tesh, if you're trying to tell your parents and they're just brushing you off and ignoring you, then try either setting up a line of communication with a doctor the next time you visit or get your parents to read this thread. Have us talk to them through a PM or something. I'll argue as long as I'm online for you if I have to. My bet is lots of us will. We're your friends and this is serious.

They aren't ignoring me. They're just saying I'm just a teenager and I'm just being normal. But I don't think 24/7 disconnection from my thoughts and surroundings, constant depression, and occasional terrible anxiety are normal. And I doubt they'd take the word of a Gaul of people who I've never met. But I might try taking to the doctor. My problem is that I only have a single friend I think I can trust, and I've barely told them anything. They know the surface of this. But I can talk on here 1.) Because I won't break down 2.) It's not like you guys are going to tell anyone I personally know. I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm just worried they won't take any of this seriously. They don't know about the depression or anxiety. They'd probably just say the same thing. And I don't think I'd be able to talk to a doctor at all. Just the tiniest things set me off sobbing, and it takes me forever to stop, and chances are, I'll just start again. I barely can talk to my parents about what happens at school. I am terrible at talking to people. But it does help just having some people know. 

Oh, you guys are all so amazing. I just want to make that clear.

Suuuper late to the thread here. Cause I'm rarely online, and never post. Which means basically no-one will see that I've made my picture green, but never mind. This is important enough to get active for. Apologies if this post is rambly or isn't wholly coherent, it's been a long day.

I was depressed for a lot of high school, although I didn't want to admit it at the time. It was largely situational, although even 3-4 years later I'm not sure if I've completely bounced back from that. There's this little voice in the back of my head that likes to tell me all my problems are invalid and I'm just making stuff up or exaggerating and I should just get over myself, and at this stage I'm genuinely not sure if it's right or not. I've been dealing with mild social anxiety basically as long as I can remember though.

Regardless of where I'm at personally, I'm very much for better mental health awareness, because I see so many people around me suffering. Someone I went to school with committed suicide a couple weeks back, but the local council wants to reduce funding to its mental health services!! :angry:

@Tesh sending vague positive vibes in your general direction because I don't know how else to express that sentiment to a stranger over the internet :lol: If you can manage to talk to someone about stuff, particularly a professional, there'll be ways they can help; maybe try writing it down and showing it to them? Just my 2 cents, anyway.

13 hours ago, AonEne said:

Yep, I refuse to read mistborn.  I came into this universe with alloy of law.  And I don't really have an interest in the mistborn books.

Yea Tesh.  Talk to your guidance counselor.  Tell them everything your telling us.  They might actually be able to help you more then you'd think.  And, if nothing else, they might be able to legitimize your feelings to your folks.  Because they might agree with you, that you need professional help.  And they might then tell your folks they think you need help from a professional.

Good luck, Tesh.

Wait, that was yesterday.

Any results?

*please let Tesh's parents understand the seriousness of this*

No. Just. No. How can you not have interest in Mistborn? Have you even tried them? I mean, TenSoon alone.....................DNuigyehniugtgoe ARGH

I might explode

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

No. Just. No. How can you not have interest in Mistborn? Have you even tried them? I mean, TenSoon alone.....................DNuigyehniugtgoe ARGH

I might explode

Please don't.

That would be messy.

Sorry I am late to this. I don’t think I have any mental disorder except maybe a mild form of depression. Not sure, never been diagnosed or felt what it would be like to have worse.

Anyway, I want to add my support to this and anyone with any form of mental illness. I think that all things like this, to raise awareness for things that cause others to have difficult lives, are awesome things to do.

Edited by LIFE&DEATH
100th post nice thing to use that landmark on.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:36 PM, LIFE&DEATH said:

Sorry I am late to this. I don’t think I have any mental disorder except maybe a mild form of depression. Not sure, never been diagnosed or felt what it would be like to have worse.

Anyway, I want to add my support to this and anyone with any form of mental illness. I think that all things like this, to raise awareness for things that cause others to have difficult lives, are awesome things to do.

I would like to add, that its not a bad idea to go see a therapist about even a mild form of depression.  Its like going to see a doctor about a new pain in your body.  They will probobly see you for a few sessions, say your fine, and call it a day.

18 hours ago, AonEne said:

Yes they are. Do you read WOF?

1 hour ago, Firebug said:

No, I've never heard of it. What's it about? 

Definitely not about mental health awareness. Let's not derail the topic.

3 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

On a completely different topic, @Tesh does Arched get a notif every time you make a post because you mention him in your sig?

They don't.

I fortunately don't have anything to contribute, my mental health is just fine, but I sincerely hope you all get the help you need and feel better soon!