Favorite Book ( besides Stormlight Archive and Mistborn)

Matias

So i asked this in Goodreads a long time ago, but now i'll like to know your opinion about this

Which is your favorite Sanderson book,besides The Stormlight Archive and Mistborn ( cause those two are often the favorites) ?

Mine, for now, is The Emperor's soul, it's amazing how Brandon can create such a great history in a few pages (awesome magic too)

I agree with @Wyndlerunner. Elantris was the first Sanderson book that I read, so it has a special place in my heart. It is a great intro book to the cosmere, and I know that most people recommend Mistborn, but it took me three tries to finish the Mistborn series. Elantris is shorter, snappier, funner (it is a word, fight me), less dark, and less intense. I love Elantris so much for Hrathen. I almost want to go through it reading just the Hrathen chapters, he is that amazing of a character. 

So again, Elantris all of the way for it's stand-alone beauty.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:10 PM, I am Witless said:

I agree with @Wyndlerunner. Elantris was the first Sanderson book that I read, so it has a special place in my heart. It is a great intro book to the cosmere, and I know that most people recommend Mistborn, but it took me three tries to finish the Mistborn series. Elantris is shorter, snappier, funner (it is a word, fight me), less dark, and less intense. I love Elantris so much for Hrathen. I almost want to go through it reading just the Hrathen chapters, he is that amazing of a character. 

So again, Elantris all of the way for it's stand-alone beauty.

I also adore all the political machinations. And also Hrathen is awesome

Agreed about Hrathen. Such a cool name, too. 

As for me, my single favorite Sanderson book is Warbreaker (even if we include  Mistborn and SA). Part of that is because the Graphic Audio version of it (the only version I have ever felt the need to partake of) is phenomenal. But is also such a refreshing take on fantasy novels. The magic is there and is fascinating as all Sanderson magics are, but I actually really love that the magic doesn’t have any direct combat abilities (Nightblood excluded). Vasher has figured a few tricks that indirectly aid his fighting, but it’s not like most of Brandon’s other books where you swallow a bit of metal or summon your magic sword and instantly become an unstoppable warrior. For the most part, Awakening is for things like convenience or enhancing your ability to enjoy/produce works of art or music. That’s really cool. 

The cast of characters is fantastic, the humor is top notch (or maybe I’m just really drawn to Lightsong’s witty sarcasms), and the twists and turns of the story are lots of fun. I really love the reversals and contrasting character role that Brandon plays around with in this book, too. I won’t go into details just in case of spoilers, but if you’ve read the book (and preferably the annotations, too) then you know what I’m talking about. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apart from SA and Mistborn...

The Ruthmatist is amazing. Melody “the unicorn is a noble and magestic creature”, and how self contained it is, while giving room for growth in the world. (Self contained except for a certain implication in the last chapter). And the magic system is amazing. (Like always tbh).

I think it wouldn’t even be that hard to make a video game of rithmatic duels. Problem is I don’t know how to program. Enough of that though. 

Its a pity the Azlitanian (I misspelt that, didn’t I?) is not coming for a while. 

I'd go with Elantris. It will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first book of Sanderson I read. I love the rune magic in combination with the countryside and the characters were great as well.

And the Seons. If it was possible I'd love to have one for myself.

Warbreaker! I am obsessed with the combinations of awakening and other magics, specificly hemalurgy, Also love Talaxin and Vivenna and the history of Nalthis. But somehow I cant get behind Lightsong. He doesnt annoy me, but I also dont like him.

For me its Elantris. It was the first book I read and I can still remember how often I rent it from our library because I just thought it was so incredible. (the people at those check in desks must really have laughed a lot since I rent it so often)

I like how the magic is tied to the lanscape and how its incredibly easy (just draw a symbol in the air) and supremly complicated at the same time.

@SoranaI want one too. Tell me if you ever figure out how to get one!

Though I can understand the people who like warbreaker. I also think it is an amazing work. @Krios i actually love Lightsong and can't get behind Vivenna. so exactly the oposite to you

@Matias sorry to disagree with you agreeing to my opinion =) but I do not in fact think Vivenna was a bad character. She simply didn't hold much apeal for me. I just couldn't find myself drawn into her narative as much as with other characters and her attitude in the first part of the book really irritated me. BUT she actually had a wonderful character develoment. And she still has a lot of growth potential. It's simply my own attitude/perspective/whatever that I can't get her.

@Rhapsody Sorry to disagree wiht you disagreeing to my agreeing to your opinion, i understand that Vivenna has her character develoment but, she is one of the worst Cosmere protagonist for me because she is freeking amazing, i mean, it was the first time she was out of her home and went to a totally diferent culture and she was able to do everything right, sure she was betrayed, but even then she managed a way to solved that problem, she even saved Vasher at then whit almost none practice of her magic or fighting or doing something because she was seating in a chair reading books her entire life, i just dont buy it (sorry if my english is not the best)

@Matiaswell I don't think she does a lot in the first part. She more or less stumbles upon Denth and the mercenaries only with the help of her childhood friend (who later is killed because she lets herself be captured). she helps Denth actually raising the tension between the court of gods and her homeland while thinking she is doing the opposite because she never questions what she is doing. When she tries helping Vasher in the fight against Denth she manages to get him thrown out the window just before he was able to use his trick, which ends with her getting captured (AGAIN) and him having to draw nightblood (which actually AGAIN played into Denth hands, since he says before in the book that they have to make Vasher draw the sword). She doesn't manage one of her objectives: she doesn't rescue Siri (that does Susebron and by extension Lightsong), she doesn't prevent the war (that's again Susebron with the help of Vasher), she doesn't even manage to stay true to her beliefs as she succumbs to the temptation of breath (that is just as seen from the perspective of her motives in the beginning of course)

The reason she so easily learns awakening is also given by Vasher in the book. For one she has a lot of breath, secondly she has part of a returned breath because she is from the royal family and lastly she is able to learn from and observe one of the masters of the craft (the last reason is actually not given in the book but my opinion).

On another note she wasn't actually sitting at home reading before going to T'telir, but was instructed on a lot of different subjects surrounding T'telir, its history and culture, politics and other things. With the knowledge and preparation she had she should have been doing better. At least she should have been able to pick up on her actions not helping her cause. 

But she didn't, which in my opinion reveals her to be a not too capable character in the beginning.

Her experiences change her for the better since she learns to remain openminded and starts thinking for once instead of just doing what others tell her.

And I can't believe that right now I'm actually arguing on behalf of a character I do not like that much.... that just seems strange. :blink:

Edited by Rhapsody

Warbreaker. Obviously. I think that Elantris is pretty boring and long-winded, especially in Audiobook form. And Hrathen is the best character, so... yeah.  Warbreaker is so much more action-packed and funny. 

Edited by AxeliustheGreat

@Rhapsody this is like playing a sport, you may know alot of tennis(for example) but when is your first time playing you will suck at it because you got no experience, as i said, i know she was betrayed but the thing that really boders me is her attitude on everything, i  wanted to go on but i also want to stop this discussion do