Airport and bookstore signed copie

AceGambit

Hi all

so my wife raised an interesting point tonight. On occasion Brandon will post on twitter that an airport bookstore or bookstore in general is now stocking signed copies of his books. I.e. He's gone in and signed them. However what my wife asked was does he;

(1) bring his own copies, already signed and add them to the shelfs

(2) ask the staff if he can sign the existing copies already there

(3) wander into the store and start defacing the books on display, causing mass panic and long chats with airport security 

24 minutes ago, King Cole said:

I missed him by TWO FRICKIN HOURS AT THE AIRPORT. But I got a signed way of kings

I have a penchant for narrowly missing celebrities/famous people.

Missed Peter Capaldi by an hour at a random bookstore in London (probably the only time this decade I'll get to be there).
Missed signed Sanderson books at two airports by about a day (came in a while after Brandon, but the books finished selling before I came through).
Missed David Tennant, and Brandon Sanderson (and others) at Comic-Con, when I had gone down specifically for him.

I'm sure there's others that I don't even know about. Maybe I left a coffee shop two minutes before Bill Murray walked in or something. Who really knows...

On 4/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, AceGambit said:

(3) wander into the store and start defacing the books on display, causing mass panic and long chats with airport security 

Not as panicky, but yes.

Brandon Sanderson
So for those who don't know, in the States, I have to fly on tour. And that involves going through American security, which is annoying. But I do get to visit bookstores in the airports. Most airports have a bookstore, and I can go in and find my books and sign them. And, if the bookstore employees aren't paying attention, I just kind of sign my books and sneak out. *laughter* I ninja sign. It really confuses them when I sneak in, sign the books, and sneak out, and then go post on Facebook, "Hey, there's signed books here." Like, people flock to the bookstore. They're like, "What happened? Where was he?"

So, have I been busted? I have never actually been busted. I've had one person ask me for my ID, where I turned the book open to the last page and said, "Here I am." The thing is that signing in airports happens frequently enough, most authors don't do it, but enough authors do, that if they see someone signing books like that, they just assume you're an author. It's that whole, "pretend you're in charge and people assume." So, I can go in there and I can sign all of Joe Abercrombie's books and fake an accent, I guess. But I have never actually been busted, I have only been said "Oh, are you the author? Can I see ID?" Something like that. That happened only once.